Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone use air intake from outside?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone use air intake from outside?

Does anyone use air intake from outside? And if yes, how big temperature differences have you achieved? -20C (-4 F) to 20C (68 F) probably is not possible? I live in a brick house and have only one or two good already existing holes far away from each other. So making the intake from inside is very difficult.

Lots of issues with condensation inside of collectors = mold ect... with inside to outside to inside setups. One idea to consider for you is outside to inside with a lower transfer rate to raise temps coming in. Keep it simple and it works better.
    Learned from personal experience, not to let moisture get into collector. I hope you get it figured out.
    Don't burn stuff up, never quit experimenting!

Comment

bottom half of a window

most heater use the bottom half of one of you window...... run you in and out through inslated tubeing .. not the pretty thing BUT i can remove it in the spring... lots of them on utube...

Comment

That kind of windows are here almost 100% inexistent. Triple glass here...

Comment

Originally posted by MrKaktus View Post
          That kind of windows are here almost 100% inexistent. Triple glass here...
          Possibly easier/cheaper than making new holes in the brick walls would be to replace one pane of an existing window with a frame containing a smaller triple pane glass and room for your ducts.
          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Here the windows are 8x4ft and 4x4ft and they can only be opened for cleaning. On the side is 1x4ft window vents, but it is really difficult to use them and look nice. Under the windows here is also more shadows. Anyway I'm going to build solar air heater this month. How long? How big? How powefull fan? I don't know yet. Have to take air from outside... Flat top roof & wind problems also here.

Comment

Originally posted by MrKaktus View Post
              Here the windows are 8x4ft and 4x4ft and they can only be opened for cleaning. On the side is 1x4ft window vents, but it is really difficult to use them and look nice. Under the windows here is also more shadows. Anyway I'm going to build solar air heater this month. How long? How big? How powefull fan? I don't know yet. Have to take air from outside... Flat top roof & wind problems also here.
              I think that the critical things you need to consider are:
              1. What the outside temperatures will be during the winter, so that you know how much you need to heat the air, and
              2. How high a delta-T (increase in temperature from input to output) a particular solar collector design can handle. If the max delta is anywhere near the difference between inside and outside temperatures, you are not going to have an economical system.

One other thing to consider with your single-hole issue is going to a water (or antifreeze, of course)-based system with an internal radiator. That way you could easily run the feed and return lines through a single hole. A lot will depend on whether you have a location for a radiator inside without getting too ugly.

Also, just for the heck of it, look into an air system in which you fabricate a divider to go into the single hole to give you two half-sized air channels through that hole. Potentially a lot more economical than trying to use outside air, depending on your outside temperature pattern.
              SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
                Also, just for the heck of it, look into an air system in which you fabricate a divider to go into the single hole to give you two half-sized air channels through that hole. Potentially a lot more economical than trying to use outside air, depending on your outside temperature pattern.
                Single opening input/output...nice idea!

Comment

Working...
                X