Heating a bat house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heating a bat house

I have started building my own bat houses. I live in upstate New York and as you know it can get cool up here in the summer. In order for momma bats to use houses as a nursing chamber they need a temprature of 95 degrees Fahrenheit. I am using 2x6 sides and 1/2 inch plywood for exterior. The entire house is stained black and caulked tight. Just looking for a little extra heat for them to curl up on. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by jammaz72 View Post
    I have started building my own bat houses. I live in upstate New York and as you know it can get cool up here in the summer. In order for momma bats to use houses as a nursing chamber they need a temprature of 95 degrees Fahrenheit. I am using 2x6 sides and 1/2 inch plywood for exterior. The entire house is stained black and caulked tight. Just looking for a little extra heat for them to curl up on. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    You may be able to avoid any need for accurate temperature control if you follow the technique often used for reptile habitats and provide a relatively localized heat source that the bat(s) can move closer to or farther away from as needed. Possibly a solar thermal collector on the roof with some heat storage in the form of an insulated water tank and a "radiator" with convection flow inside the bat house.
    Just an insulated water tank with sun shining on it and extending into one side of the bat house may be good enough, without any need for an actual thermal panel?
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by jammaz72 View Post
      The bats you have in upstate NY have been reproducing there for centuries without help from modern technology. I doubt your efforts at making luxury accommodations for them are worth the effort. Bat pups need to be between 90-100 degrees when feeding (which would be day time) from what I've read. Night time summer temps wouldn't be so critical.

Comment

Working...
      X