Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • staergaezer
    • Jul 2012

info required re air heating in the roof space

Hi there. I have an idea about increasing the temperature in my roof space during winter and then by using fans have this warm/hot air blown down into the house. I figure that if I can raise the temperature in the house by about 5 degrees C I will save a lot on space heaters. I have a large very well insulated roof space with the ceiling topped with pink aerolite as well flock. There is sisalation under the roof tiles, My question/problem is this....I am pretty sure that if I fir several panels of black painted glass into the roof I will get a pretty good increase in the roof space temperature but how do stop the outward radiation at night time? Question... if I paint the outside black and the inside silver will this do the trick?
    Anybody got any ideas?????

Michael
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

Originally posted by staergaezer
    Question... if I paint the outside black and the inside silver will this do the trick?
    NO.

If the reflectivity of the inside of the panel is made high, it will equally decrease both the amount of heated absorbed by it at night and the amount radiated downward during the day.
    And it will have no effect at all on conductive/convective heating and cooling.

Adding a lot of thermal mass on side walls (or maybe in the attic) and using some form of shutters to prevent radiation back out at night would be more practical, but I have no idea how well it would actually work.
    Whatever you do must not lead to moisture accumulation on top of the ceiling or under the roof at any time of year, or it will cost you more in mold and structural damage than you will gain.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• russ
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2009

A solar air heater would help - especially if you are the DIY type.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• staergaezer
        • Jul 2012

Originally posted by inetdog
        NO.

If the reflectivity of the inside of the panel is made high, it will equally decrease both the amount of heated absorbed by it at night and the amount radiated downward during the day.
        And it will have no effect at all on conductive/convective heating and cooling.

Adding a lot of thermal mass on side walls (or maybe in the attic) and using some form of shutters to prevent radiation back out at night would be more practical, but I have no idea how well it would actually work.
        Whatever you do must not lead to moisture accumulation on top of the ceiling or under the roof at any time of year, or it will cost you more in mold and structural damage than you will gain.
        Thanks for the info. Guess it wasn't a very good idea after all. Michael

Comment

• staergaezer
          • Jul 2012

Originally posted by russ
          A solar air heater would help - especially if you are the DIY type.
          I have looked at this but solar air heaters are extremely expensive in South Africa where I am. Thanks anyway for the info. Michael

Comment

• inetdog
            Super Moderator
            • May 2012

I have looked at this but solar air heaters are extremely expensive in South Africa where I am. Thanks anyway for the info. Michael
            In this and other forums you will find very practical information on building the entire solar air heating panel yourself, mostly from common materials.
            Solar water heating panels are also a DIY possibility, but the air heating panels have the decided advantage for DIY that if they leak a little bit nobody will notice and the performance will not be affected much !
            SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• staergaezer
              • Jul 2012

Originally posted by inetdog
              In this and other forums you will find very practical information on building the entire solar air heating panel yourself, mostly from common materials.
              Solar water heating panels are also a DIY possibility, but the air heating panels have the decided advantage for DIY that if they leak a little bit nobody will notice and the performance will not be affected much !

Hi and thanks but I am a DIY type. Michael

Comment

• Naptown
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2011

Hi and thanks but I am a DIY type. Michael
                All it takes to make an air heating panel is some glass, aluminum flashing, some framing materials, foam insulation, soda or beer cans, some black paint, some silicone, and some time a small fan, snap switch (thermostat) and basic hand tools.
                You could build one for about $40US if you are good at scrounging up materials.
                NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• staergaezer
                  • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Naptown
                  All it takes to make an air heating panel is some glass, aluminum flashing, some framing materials, foam insulation, soda or beer cans, some black paint, some silicone, and some time a small fan, snap switch (thermostat) and basic hand tools.
                  You could build one for about $40US if you are good at scrounging up materials.
                  Hi there and thanks for the suggestion. My major problem is ....how do I prevent the panel from radiating the heat that has been generated during the day back into the night air.
                  My basic idea was to use the solar panel to heat the air in the roof space by replacing as many tiles as are necessary with black painted glass panels. The problem being as detailed above.

Comment

• Naptown
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Feb 2011

Hi there and thanks for the suggestion. My major problem is ....how do I prevent the panel from radiating the heat that has been generated during the day back into the night air.
                    My basic idea was to use the solar panel to heat the air in the roof space by replacing as many tiles as are necessary with black painted glass panels. The problem being as detailed above.
                    Read some of the threads in this section that generally does not become a problem and a couple of dampers at worst case would solve that issue.
                    NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

Working...