Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bulbs,, LED or SMD bulbs for in the home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rick1 View Post
    2700 kelvin
    2700k = warm white

Comment

Originally posted by FloridaSun View Post
      2700k = warm white
      On the warm end of the warm white range too. (2700-3000k is one generally accepted definition).
      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

2700 kelvin
        Bit on the orange side, but better than neon Blue or Purple.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

What about the Philips A19 lamp ? uses 10W, 25,000 hours, 940 Lumens, 2700K, 120 Volt, dimable. $15.00 each from my POCO Ameren.
          Expensive for less light than a T-5 tube which is available in a range of CRI and color temps as well as being dimmable - at least mine are.
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
            Expensive for less light than a T-5 tube which is available in a range of CRI and color temps as well as being dimmable - at least mine are.
            The A19 is dimable.
            Best solar day 80 kwh. Online solar 4/10/2012.

Comment

The A19 is dimable.
              So are mine - I used dimmable for the light pools - hardly a big deal
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
                So are mine - I used dimmable for the light pools - hardly a big deal
                But yours will not fit in an Edison socket. The rest of us would have to spend a lot of money to retrofit our lighting devices to your style.
                Best solar day 80 kwh. Online solar 4/10/2012.

Comment

But yours will not fit in an Edison socket. The rest of us would have to spend a lot of money to retrofit our lighting devices to your style.
                  There are other than long and straight type T-5 lamps
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
                    No question the new T5 lamps are a step above most other lighting and is leading the field in office lighting. I would recommend them for any new lighting installation.

There are LED lamps that do a pretty good job. Their output is about 80 lumens per watt and they look just like the T5 lamp in size and shape. They do put out enough light for me. The difference is that they run off of 120 volts and don't need any ballast to work.

I currently have (3) four foot LED lamps at 18 watts each and (5) two foot LED lamps at about 10 watts each. I used the exact same fluorescent fixtures that were already mounted in my closets, laundry room and garage. I just rewired them to power the LED lamps at 120 volts. While the lamps were more expensive than a T5 they are low wattage and have a 50,000 hour life (which may be exaggerated) but I saved the cost of not having to purchase new fixtures to house the T5 lamps so I think I am ahead at this point. Time will tell if I made a good or bad investment
                    I have a few 4 foot LED lamps, you need to install the power supply and replace the ballast completely. I conjecture that the power supply is not required anymore on the newest 4 foot LED lamps.

Comment

Originally posted by choyak View Post
                      I have a few 4 foot LED lamps, you need to install the power supply and replace the ballast completely. I conjecture that the power supply is not required anymore on the newest 4 foot LED lamps.
                      Some of the 4 foot LED lamps run directly off 120volts. You can use your existing fixture, remove the ballast and re-wire the end connectors directly to the 120volt power. I have 3 of those lamps and 5 of the 2 footers. They put out a lot of light and are about 1/3 the wattage.

Comment

Originally posted by choyak View Post
                        I conjecture that the power supply is not required anymore on the newest 4 foot LED lamps.
                        They require LED ballast. Ballast is a carry over word that is not really accurate to LED's as they are Drivers, not ballast. LED drivers are low voltage current supplies. Standard output voltages are 12/24 volt DC from 90 to 280 volt AC in a number of power ratings from as low as 5 watts up to 100 watts.
                        MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
                          Some of the 4 foot LED lamps run directly off 120volts. You can use your existing fixture, remove the ballast and re-wire the end connectors directly to the 120volt power. I have 3 of those lamps and 5 of the 2 footers. They put out a lot of light and are about 1/3 the wattage.
                          The key point is that these 120 volt lamps, like CFLs designed for replacement of incandescent screw base, contain their own driver circuitry. When you do not need to have a vacuum envelope, there is plenty of room inside the tube area to include the drivers.
                          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
                            The key point is that these 120 volt lamps, like CFLs designed for replacement of incandescent screw base, contain their own driver circuitry. When you do not need to have a vacuum envelope, there is plenty of room inside the tube area to include the drivers.
                            I agree. The LED replacement lamps have come down in price and up in the number of different model types.

Besides the 2 & 4 foot lamps, I also have 3 tiny screw base 2 watt LED lamps for some pendant fixtures over my counter top. They put out the light of a 25 watt incandescent. The really nice part is that they are always cool to the touch.

Comment

Working...
                            X