Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bulbs,, LED or SMD bulbs for in the home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bulbs,, LED or SMD bulbs for in the home?

Hi,
    I'm just getting into solar panels. But I have been using 12 volt lights for a while now and I have been
    using 1156 automotive tail light bulbs. I'm looking for something more efficient.
    I have ordered a two different types of bulbs but I'm still looking for some input on this.
    what I have coming are 2 LEDs and 2 SMDs just sort of see for my self what they are like.
    Is there anything better that is usually used in indoor lighting?
    this what I'm trying. LEDs

Or SMDs

Your SMD's look like my SMT's !

The difference is SMT leds are leadless die, soldered to a PCB, and the other bulb, is made from discrete packaged LED's. Properly set up, SMT die can handle a lot more power, the discrete LED's are only good for about 1/4 watt, if you want any long life from them.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
      Your SMD's look like my SMT's !
      Everybody's look comparable, since SMT stands for Surface Mount Technology and SMD stands for Surface Mount Device.
      When used in combination with the designation LED, they are interchangeable terms. The LEDs that were produced earlier are plastic-encapsulated LEDs, and they have a much lower maximum power output per device because of the poor heat sink properties of the leads and the plastic package.
      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

HUMMMMMMMMMM I have been on this forum less than 24 hours and I have already learned
        something. Looks like I'm off to a good start.

Comment

Now with all that said, LED's are not very efficient compared to say T5 Fluorescent lighting.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

Ok so how do the SMT - SMDs compare to T5 fluorescent?
            And where can I get a look at a picture of one of these T5s? <--I'm not sure what that is

Comment

You have never seen Fluorescent lighting before? LEd efficiency runs from 30 to 80 Lumens per watt. T5 runs 96 to 105 Lumens per watt.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                You have never seen Fluorescent lighting before? LEd efficiency runs from 30 to 80 Lumens per watt. T5 runs 96 to 105 Lumens per watt.

No question the new T5 lamps are a step above most other lighting and is leading the field in office lighting. I would recommend them for any new lighting installation.

There are LED lamps that do a pretty good job. Their output is about 80 lumens per watt and they look just like the T5 lamp in size and shape. They do put out enough light for me. The difference is that they run off of 120 volts and don't need any ballast to work.

I currently have (3) four foot LED lamps at 18 watts each and (5) two foot LED lamps at about 10 watts each. I used the exact same fluorescent fixtures that were already mounted in my closets, laundry room and garage. I just rewired them to power the LED lamps at 120 volts. While the lamps were more expensive than a T5 they are low wattage and have a 50,000 hour life (which may be exaggerated) but I saved the cost of not having to purchase new fixtures to house the T5 lamps so I think I am ahead at this point. Time will tell if I made a good or bad investment

Comment

Ok yes I have seen fluorescent lights before. Just never heard them called t-5 before.
                  I thought that that might be some type of 12 volt light. As I said in my post I'm using 12 volt
                  fixtures. Do these come in a 12 volt?

Comment

Any RV or Marine Toy Store has them.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Leehamrick View Post
                      Ok yes I have seen fluorescent lights before. Just never heard them called t-5 before.
                      I thought that that might be some type of 12 volt light. As I said in my post I'm using 12 volt
                      fixtures. Do these come in a 12 volt?
                      T-5 Fluorescent is miniature bi-pin tube type
                      T-8, T-10, T-12 are medium bi-pin, smaller to larger tube diameters
                      Yes, T-5s come in 12 volt

Comment

T-5 is the latest and greatest - most efficient. Most lighting in my home is now T-5.
                        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
                          T-5 is the latest and greatest - most efficient. Most lighting in my home is now T-5.
                          What about the Philips A19 lamp ? uses 10W, 25,000 hours, 940 Lumens, 2700K, 120 Volt, dimable. $15.00 each from my POCO Ameren.
                          Best solar day 80 kwh. Online solar 4/10/2012.

Comment

Originally posted by rick1 View Post
                            What about the Pillips A19 lamp ? uses 10W, 25,000 hours, 940 Lumens, 2700K, 120 Volt, dimable. $15.00 each from my POCO Ameren.
                            Not bad at all with a 94 Lumens per watt. That is on the upper end of the scale. Any idea of what the light temp color is?
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by sunking View Post
                              not bad at all with a 94 lumens per watt. That is on the upper end of the scale. Any idea of what the light temp color is?
                              2700 kelvin
                              Best solar day 80 kwh. Online solar 4/10/2012.

Comment

Working...
                              X