Garage Lighting Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage Lighting Project

Hi, I am building a solar powered system for my garage so that I can see in the garage mainly for the winter when I come back from work late and it is late already..

I would only have the light on for five minutes or less a day. I already have a 7.2ah battery (a smallish lead acid) and a 11w 12v energy savinging light bulb, wire and switch.

My question is which size solar panel should i get? I was thinking 5-10w? And would I need a charge controller?

Thanks in advance..!

Hi, welcome.

Your 7.2 AH battery can only deliver 3.6 A (50% of capacity) without seriously shortening the life of the battery. 3.6A @ 12v = 43.2w so that leaves plenty of 10 min light cycles.
    However, CFL's are not good at on-off cycles, 10 minutes, it will be just warmed up, and at full output. Perhaps a 10W halagon bulb, in an appropriate fixture, would work at all temperatures, give good light, and last a decent amount of time.

What will switch the light off and on?

I would go with a 10W panel, and you have to use a charge controller (that has a setting for your style of battery (GEL, AGM, or flooded) ) to prevent cooking the battery with overcharge.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
      Hi, welcome.

Your 7.2 AH battery can only deliver 3.6 A (50% of capacity) without seriously shortening the life of the battery. 3.6A @ 12v = 43.2w so that leaves plenty of 10 min light cycles.
      However, CFL's are not good at on-off cycles, 10 minutes, it will be just warmed up, and at full output. Perhaps a 10W halagon bulb, in an appropriate fixture, would work at all temperatures, give good light, and last a decent amount of time.

I would go with a 10W panel, and you have to use a charge controller (that has a setting for your style of battery (GEL, AGM, or flooded) ) to prevent cooking the battery with overcharge.
      Thanks for replying!

I will look into buying a 10w halogen if you think this would suit my needs better..

I will probably just use a normal light switch to turn the light on/off.

Ok 10w panel - no problem, sorry you've lost me with the GEL, AGM, or flooded battery question..(??) All I know is that its lead acid and it looks like it was from a remote control car or something like that..? Would something like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT be okay?

Comment

If you need a 10 watt solar panel I may be able to help you?

Just let me know....

Comment

20w/12v solar panel is better, UK winter irradiation is very weak, 2hrs is enough
          and it can last for hours for your energy saving lamp

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
            Hi, welcome.

I learn so much from reading Mike's posts.

Comment

Garage Lighting project

Hi,

I have a small set up using an old motorcycle battey, a camping style flourecent tube light (designed to clip to your car battery) and a small solar panel (again designed to top up your car battery). Works very well or the short times you need a light during the winter months. My solar panel sits in a window so is protected from the weather.

Comment

Working...
              X