usage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• usage?

how much energy would a 6,700k daylight lamp use per hour? Do the fixtures have to be specific for that spectrum? Have people in general had a good start to veggies with these? Thanks

Originally posted by windigo View Post
    how much energy would a 6,700k daylight lamp use per hour?
    Figure it out yourself.

Watt Hours = Watts x Hours.

It takes 16 years of school and a politician to teach you that in America, or 30 seconds in grade school in any other country.

So how many watts does that light bulb use? Once you answer that, you have answered your own question. None of us know what wattage bulb you are talking about. Only you know that.

So if it is a 50 watt light ran for 1 hour then 50 watts x 1 hour = 50 watt hours. Burn it 2 hours then 50 watts x 2 hours = 100 watt hours. Burn it for 3 hours then......

As for the fixture depends on the type of light and its operating temperature. Fixtures are designed for the specific light being used like incandescent or florescent.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Watts is energy correct? So the more watts I use in the bulb the better the veggie, correct? I am trying to grow leafy plants in a flood table. Would like to start and grow in trays and keep a constant flow of replenishing from tray to table.

also should the fixtures be of a certain specs?

am i correct in that you can only use less wattage and less volts in a socket, never exceeding what the outlet/fixture says

Comment

Watts is energy correct?
        No watts is electrical power, Electrical energy is watt hours.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

I am trying to grow leafy plants in a flood table. Would like to start and grow in trays and keep a constant flow of replenishing from tray to table.
          So you are growing Ganja huh?
          MSEE, PE

Comment

no but all my questions and searching has been leading me to some interesting sites. much easier using hydro for 8 different lettuces and always having them ready to eat.

i would like to use the t5 grow lights with the blue spectrum, i just dont know how many is too many and how much is enough.

area:
            seed: 2 large trays
            flood table: 3x3 or 4x4

should they be indivd fixtures or all in one?
            also what should the fixture specs be?

Comment

OK I use T5 to start mators and peppers. You need 1 tube per tray to start with on pulleys so you can adjust the height as to keep the bulb just a few inches above the plants. Once you are ready to divide them you need 1 tube per row for slender tall plants, or dual tubes for bushy plants like lettuce.

Nothing fancy for a fixture. Just a standard fluorescent with reflectors and no diffuser. Just use the cheapest fixture you can find at Lowes like the standard shop light.

I usually take it one step further by placing the plants next a white wall on a white table to reflect light, and rotate them once every other day. Just keep the light a few inches above the above the plant to maximize light exposure and not so close to burn the plants.

Trick I have learned is to put the light on a timer so it burns 18 to 20 hours per day, then off for 4 to 6 hours. You cannot duplicate the sun indoors so you have to leave the lights on fairly long periods to make up for the low intensity.

Keep this in mind, growing under artificial lights is going to be very expensive veggies. If you use say 100 watts worth of lights 16 hours per day is about 20 to 30-cents worth of electricity per day. About enough for 3 heads of lettuce, and at 45 days to maturity cost roughly $4 per head. That is some expensive salad.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

thank you

Comment

Ganga would be a more profitable cash crop to grow indoors.
                  It was the oil companies and ganga growers that were the first to use solar PV
                  NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                  X