Dim Interior LEDs

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sunking
    replied
    OK John you win.



    So butter my butt and call it a biscuit.

    Leave a comment:


  • john p
    replied
    Sunking MabE I didnt put it clear enough the one in my vehicle as measured COMPLETE draws 85ma. that is it draws 85ma for all the LEDs in total. That is why I said "like the ones you showed in your link" , but if they are drawing 2 to 4 w then they are drawing a lot more than the ones on sale here in most auto parts stores. mine is 3 LED (90ma claimed) many are 2 LED (60ma claimed )only. but despite its low draw the light output to the eye is whiter and brighter than the original incandesant bulb. same for the ones used in the boot/trunk and parking lights.

    Leave a comment:


  • Sunking
    replied
    John the LED lamps I linked to are 1 watt per LED, so if there are 3 of them in the capsule is 3 watts. You are right each LED draws 85 ma @ 12 volts, but the capsules hold 2 to 4 LED's

    Leave a comment:


  • john p
    replied
    Yes ..they are like the ones in your link but they are not 2 or 4 watt. they draw 85ma at 12.8v =1w... just measured mine. 3 LEDs and you can put your finger on them after on for 30 mins. try that with a regular incandesant festoon bulb

    Leave a comment:


  • Sunking
    replied
    We are talking about the 4 to 10 watt dome lights and replacing them with 2 to 4 watt LED Dome Lights right?

    Leave a comment:


  • john p
    replied
    Mike has raised some very valid points. Taxis now replace the interior dome lights with LEDs for the reason Mike said the plastic burns a hole initself if left on for an hour or more .I have seen cars camping with flat batteries because doors and boot lid left open all day. LEDS reduce or in most cases eliminate that problem.
    I dont think anyone ever does it to try save fuel..
    I have replaced all interior lamps in my 2 vehicles with LEDs. and the tail lights and number plate light and parking lights.. Most likely never have to replace any of them again..

    Sunking you are wrong on this one..The power level is just insignificant
    And you would be aware many vehicles are using LEDs for almost all lights now.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mike90250
    replied
    Originally posted by Sunking
    ....What I do not understand is switching from the manufacture incadescent to LED. Power conservation is not an issue in a vehicle ....
    You must have never gone car camping. Doors open all the time, trunk/tailgate open. After a couple hours of all the lights going, you need a jump start. The next trip, nobody seems to have learned. Even melted the cap over the dome light once. (out in the desert, I think that was the trip the crows attacked the 5 gallon collapsable water bag, and drank 1 pint, and let the rest bleed out on the ground. )

    Leave a comment:


  • Sunking
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike90250
    You should also track down the source of the leakage, eventually, it will drain the battery.
    I can tell you, vehicles no longer use switches, they use electronic controls via FET which some have small leakage because they never go to infinite resistance like a switch.

    What I do not understand is switching from the manufacture incadescent to LED. Power conservation is not an issue in a vehicle as it will not save 1 drop of gasoline or extend the battery capacity. The power level is just insignificant.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mike90250
    replied
    Originally posted by john3455
    I recently replaced the interior light bulbs in my car with led lights. When the interior lights are off the LEDs glow dimly due to a slight current leak in the interior light circuit. Im wondering if there is anything I can do to drain the excess current safely and keep the LEDs from glowing? Thanks.
    Change ONE of the interior bulbs, back to an incandescent. That should prevent the glow. (by covering up the issue)

    You should also track down the source of the leakage, eventually, it will drain the battery.

    Leave a comment:


  • john3455
    started a topic Dim Interior LEDs

    Dim Interior LEDs

    I recently replaced the interior light bulbs in my car with led lights. When the interior lights are off the LEDs glow dimly due to a slight current leak in the interior light circuit. Im wondering if there is anything I can do to drain the excess current safely and keep the LEDs from glowing? Thanks.
    Last edited by russ; 11-16-2011, 06:22 AM. Reason: advertising links broken
Working...