Rigid Tubular Skylights w/addon light-kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigid Tubular Skylights w/addon light-kits

Sorry if this is OT for this forum, but my 2nd question is related to what I'm reading from other posts here. I'm re-roofing and installing tubular skylights in our home, which is very dark all the time even with the lights we have. So I'm looking for the newer skylights without any heat transfer, that I can install a light-kit into for night use.

Comparing this skylight vs. the Home Depot ODL light:

QUESTION1: Are there any real differences in terms of a) Eqv. lumen light output, b) warmth of light, c) yellowing of dome over time, d) quality/seal of tube to minimize dust & bugs in the diffuser, e) differences to support a light-kit.

I've read the lining material (alum vs silver) might create colder vs. warmer light. But are the other claims significant?

Assume the prices are the same (they differ +/- depending on options) and I don't need "severe weather" quality domes as far as rain, wind, or hail. I don't foresee any major installation differences (having it installed by the roofer).

Question 2: Each offers an optional light-kit. Should I go with LED, Incandescent, or CFL? I assume heat might be an issue in the tube. One light is for small hallway (localized light ok), one is for kitchen (more area lighting), and one is for bathroom (in-between). LED for hallway and CFL for the rest?

If you don't know of either the brands, that's OK any info about whether "major" differences exist between brands is helpful.

I would have to see the skylights to make a comment - the specs are loose and the Horizon ad is full of fluff. For sure you can inspect the one at the big box.

For the lamps - CFL is not best in a short on/off cycle situation. CFL should not be installed in a can. LED is long life typically but the quality and efficacy of different brands varies widely.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

For the lamps - CFL is not best in a short on/off cycle situation. CFL should not be installed in a can.
      LOL that explains why the ones in my recessed can lights don't last longer than a 5 months max. Yet my protected outdoor ones that "breathe" last well over a year, maybe two.

Originally posted by russ View Post
      I would have to see the skylights to make a comment - the specs are loose and the Horizon ad is full of fluff. For sure you can inspect the one at the big box.
      Here are some clickie pics of the HD ODL brand. Any tips on how I can evaluate the characteristics above (a-e) by examination?

Comment

I would just look for apparent material and workmanship quality. Good quality material for the roof penetration should be obvious to a roofing guy - you might be lucky and find a sales person at the big box that knows what he is talking about.
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Checking the warranty may help in your decision making

If you research the different solar skylight tubes, you will find a wide array of warranties out there. Some with 5 years, 10 years, 25 years, and lifetime. I would only want to install sun tunnels that are lifetime and hurricane rated. They do have to have testing done on them to qualify for the "Energy Star" and they have to be tested to get the energy tax rebate for the government. So, I'm thinking that warranties may be the tell all of the quality of the solar tube.

Comment

I put two of these: http://www.nltubular.com/ in last year, a 10" and 13", very high quality but at a cost. Here are a few pictures.

Compared to my neighbor's, mine are superior, his are already cloudy after a year, mine are still clear
            Attached Files

Comment

Quality is super important

I agree you really need to get a quality product when it comes to solar skylight tubes. If its yellowing its an inferior product. Look for ones that have a seamless aluminum flashing. Many use plastic that will not stand the test of time. They will crack in colder climates and leaking can occur. I've installled eco smart ones [...]
              Last edited by Jason; 01-25-2012, 10:43 AM. Reason: Link removed for advertising.

Comment

I have a couple Solatubes and I am impressed with them.
                The color of light is very nice and we got the "optiview" lens and it really disperses the light.

I'll try to find the pics and post.

The solatube is much warmer light than the Velux that the in laws got installed. That light is almost cool blue like some of the cheap HID headlights you see on the road.

Install wasn't too bad but I wish the tubes clipped together or something. Taping a 14" aluminum tube 6 feet long was clumsy to say the least.
                10Kw solar PV
                GSHP (6-2011)
                Solar hot water 2x SPP-30
                Meter has been going backwards since May 20th :julie:
                Anyone wanna buy some SREC credits? (cheap!):Cry:

Comment

Working...
                X