Clear All
  • rgs03833
    • Aug 2011

LED vs CFL - 2

(
  • s.xavier
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2011

hmmm... 5w CFL runs like 2 bucks here at home depot.

Where and why are you paying $8 bucks for one

Comment

• s.xavier
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2011

wooops ... speed reading failed me

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by rgs03833
        3.7W DC 12V H7 102 LED 4800k (400 Lumen) 50,000+hrs. is $3.50 and the AMP usage is .31
        Do you have a link to the manufacture specifications?

I am familiar with H7 Fog Lights and the ones I know about are rated less than 50 Lumens per watt. This one you have is claiming 108 Lumens/watt.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• vinniethePVtech
          Solar Fanatic
          • Sep 2011

[QUOTE=kettybell;34671]LED someday might compete and become mainstream, but for now they should only be used for special task lighting like flashlights, tail lights, and landscape lighting

Comment

• Mike90250
            • May 2009

Originally posted by vinniethePVtech
            .....The light spectrum LED gives off compared to CFL is amazing. Even with 20% less lumens per watt the spectrum of light LED gives off is fuller and cleaner. On average home owners are saving $15 a month changing out from 10 cfls to 10 retro fit led
            Spectrum is dependent on the phospor package used.

And the savings / payback changes, as you toss a $1 CFL, and replace it with a $40 LED
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• vinniethePVtech
              Solar Fanatic
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Mike90250
              Spectrum is dependent on the phospor package used.

And the savings / payback changes, as you toss a $1 CFL, and replace it with a $40 LED
              After 12 to 14 months LED investment would be paid off. Plus LEDs last upto 20 years where as cfl is 8 to 10 years.
              I've been told that cfls give off dirty intermittent power and LEDs do not.
              CFLs when disposed of contaminate water and soil with mercury, it's really an overall dirty product, it's archaic and out dated from an engineering standpoint, just over all bad. I would rather prefer going back to the dark ages with halogen and spend the extra money for per watt lumens rather than dealing with cfls frOm an environmental stand point.

Comment

• russ
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2009

Originally posted by vinniethePVtech
                After 12 to 14 months LED investment would be paid off. Plus LEDs last upto 20 years where as cfl is 8 to 10 years.
                I've been told that cfls give off dirty intermittent power and LEDs do not.
                After 12 to 14 months? You must be using that new math they teach today - were no matter what the result is they call it correct so the little *** won't feel bad. That 40$ LED is for green fools that want to feel good.

You shouldn't listen to whatever fool told you such things - a CFL gives off dirty power - meaningless statement.

Kettybell was pretty much on.
                Last edited by russ; 10-25-2011, 12:47 PM.
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• vinniethePVtech
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by russ
                  After 12 to 14 months? You must be using that new math they teach today - were no matter what the result is they call it correct so the little *** won't feel bad. That 40$ LED is for green fools that want to feel good.

You shouldn't listen to whatever fool told you such things - a CFL gives off dirty power - meaningless statement.

Kettybell was pretty much on.
                  I'm that fool that requests copies of my customers utility bills. So that my references are legitimate when I do work for new customers. Pre installed canisters retro fit LEDs are selling at home depot for $34.99, direct retro fit kits make a ROI roughly 12 to 14 months after install.
                  Now if it's a complete remodel with new cans ROI is roughly 30- 33 months.
                  Those are truthful figures. Based off of California electrical rates.
                  I will look up the you tube link on cfl intermittence but the test results show dirty electrical emissions and interference from cfls. Besides all that non sense I actually give a damn about my kids future. I dont want to be that guy that disposes of mercury filled products and 20 years later one of my kids get mercury poisoning.
                  Sorry if it's a problem that I have a conscious.

Comment

• russ
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jul 2009

Seeing your customers electric bills is totally meaningless. You have to monitor the individual circuit to know where the power goes. Sounds good but the statement is actually meaningless.

Your post is 100% blather and is what tends to mislead people into believing such stuff.

Your mercury point is more silly green stuff - a responsible person that cares, such as you claim to be, simply disposes of them correctly.

I am not interested in any you tube link for the cfl intermittence (whatever that may be) - what some idiot recorded and posted has no meaning - if there is a reference from a real source and not from garbage land it would be welcome.

I suggest you don't talk about things 'from an engineering standpoint' - You are clearly not qualified to do so - you have stated and proved such.

Sunking told you a couple of days back that you can have your own opinion but not your own facts - this is the same thing.

90% plus of the 'true stories' of green sites and you tube are simply imaginary stories or blatant BS.- - that is my opinion and very accurate.
                    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• russ
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jul 2009

Vinnie - You are posting garbage and it was removed. A good tech is a great guy to have on a team. A wiseass tech is useless and dangerous.

Your redlines are another meaningless item.

Discussion complete - any further posts along the same lines will be deleted.
                      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• vinniethePVtech
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by russ
                        Vinnie - You are posting garbage and it was removed. A good tech is a great guy to have on a team. A wiseass tech is useless and dangerous.

Your redlines are another meaningless item.

Discussion complete - any further posts along the same lines will be deleted.
                        You are only whining about initial cost. Other than that led technology is better than cfl.
                        It's new therefore misunderstood in cost. A few years from now LEDs will be just as inexpensive as cfl.
                        LED is better.
                        The technology to manufacture is cheaper to make, I believe your only rant is how the consumer gets ripped off in the initial purchase. Just like any technology that is new it comes with an impacted cost.

Comment

• Utana
                          • Jul 2011

I've been researching more and more about LEDs since I found these threads in this forum (great forum!!). I've found some 6-7 watt LED bulbs on Amazon that are about 50-60 watt equivalents that are only about $15, and get really good reviews. Now that they are closer to an acceptable price range, I think I'm going to get a couple and see how I like them. I was also researching all the LED bulbs on Amazon in general and its amazing how much the price has come down on these over this past year. There are a couple of cheaper ones that get really good reviews. Even the ones with good reviews still say they have the following problems:

-180 degree surround light (instead of 360)
                          -must put them in an open-ended light fixture to keep them cool else they will loose lumens and may change color.

I also noticed LED models that have almost the same wattage as the CFLs. One that get's excellent reviews is a 12 watt model that is a 60 watt equivalent. Not much different between this one and the CFLs. One of these gets rave reviews. I had to kind of wonder about that.

Kelly

Comment

• vinniethePVtech
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Sep 2011

Just for RUSS, the non believer

Governments and environmental advocates are promoting compact fluorescent lightbulbs (CFLs) as a way of reducing electricity use, saving money, and reducing our carbon footprint. CFLs are not a perfec

Dirty power brought to you by the cfl.

Comment

• russ
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jul 2009

[QUOTE=vinniethePVtech;34702]http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/...d-bad-science/

Dirty power brought to you by the cfl.[/QUOTE

I suggest you read the article yourself - it directly contradicts everything you are claiming.

copied from the site -

Conclusion

The notion that EMF or dirty electricity causes a health risk, and that CFLs are a significant source of exposure, is not based upon any compelling science.
                              Further, such claims stem mostly from a single researcher who appears to spend most of her time spreading fear about EMF than producing quality research.
                              [B]
                              The media and the public should not be confused by this lone researcher on the fringe into believing that
                              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...