Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wcanevari
    • Nov 2023

48VDC bulbs needed

I have a 48V DC system installed in the 1990s, but upgraded periodically. My lighting runs off the solar panels or the batteries. My problem is getting good light bulbs that can handle this current. I originally used 4-pin flourescent bulbs with an adapter made in Montana. The adapters burned out faster than the bulbs.

Now I am using bulbs from 12V Monster in China. They make LED bulbs that can handle 25-80 volts. My issue with them is the lousy shortcut manufacturing. I find the bulbs do not last long, some 30 mons, others 2 months.... but never more than 3 months.

Performing a forensic on a non-working LED bulb. I disassembled the bulb. The bulb is wired with two 22g strand conductors from the LED panel, terminated in a control module. The module has two stranded conductors, one to the center contact on the edison base, and the other is stripped back 1/2 inch and pinched between the edison base metal and the plastic bulb housing.

As an experiment, I manually tested the broken bulb I had disassembled, on a 48VDC source. The LEDs illuminated to full brightness.

12V Monster is not soldering the negative conductor to the edison base similar to US manufacturers. It is obvoius that the stranded conductor heats up and either melts into the plastic housing, breaking the electrical connection, or the strands burn back one by one, until no contact remains. I contacted them two years ago when I discovered this issue and even sent them pictrues of how their bulbs were failing, and how I repaired a bulb.

Well, after two years, they are still short-cutting the negative conductor by pinching it between the plastic base and the metal edison base.

Can someone point me to a source for 48VDC bulbs of any type, LED, Flourescent, or Incandescent? I am really tired of paying $6 for a bulb that lasts maybe 250 hours of use.

Thank you

• Bala
    Solar Fanatic
    • Dec 2010

If you used a 48v to 12v reducer you would then have a large range of quality 12v led products to choose from.

Some light bars I have a dimmable and have 3 different light colours. Orange is good if there are insects around.

Comment

• wcanevari
      • Nov 2023

Bala, the house is wired for 48V. This includes well pumps, ceiling fans, solar arrays, battery banks, inverters, and the hydronics. I chose 48 volts because it only required 10 gauge Romex wiring, whereas 12volt would have required 6 gauge conductors in conduit, for the lighting. Not only much more costly, but difficult to make connections inside the small boxes provided on recessed can lights and ceiling fans.

Is there such a converter for a standard edison base recessed ceiling can light? I would need several dozen.

Comment

• bcroe
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2012

There used to be 48V bulbs in use in the telephone industry.
        Now retired, I do not know if they are still available. Check
        also aircraft for 48V, or perhaps 24V that can be series in pairs.
        Bruce Roe

Comment

• Bala
          Solar Fanatic
          • Dec 2010

Have you seen this site?

Finally LED lighting for use with 48 volt systems!! Our 48V DC LED lamps are available in a variety of wattages and colors, provide superior corrosion resistance, and a have super long life! Save your batteries - More Light, Less Watts!!

Comment

• wcanevari
            • Nov 2023

No, Bala, I have not seen that site, and it is exactly what I am looking for. I wonder why it is not showing in the search engines. Thank you.

Comment

• Bala
              Solar Fanatic
              • Dec 2010

I searched in Google

48v led light

Comment

Working...