Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Technically not *solar lights*, but we do have solar on the roof...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technically not *solar lights*, but we do have solar on the roof...

Over the years I had tried a number of integrated solar lighting for general enhancement and security.After being disappointed with a number of purchases, I went ahead and bought a Hampton Bay transformer, a bunch of spotlights, and a bunch of wire. They came with halogen bulbs, but never used them as I replaced each bulb with an bright warm-colored LED. I installed it a few years ago and couldn't be happier.

The lights themselves aren't solar, but we have solar on the roof now, so technically solar. I plan on lighting the whole backyard this way, too.

It's hard to distinguish in the pics since there are also Christmas LEDs, but anything that's uplighting the windows and the rest of the house itself is from the Hampton Bay lights.

Attached Files

The question is why would you want to do that? You do know anything you take off grid is going to cost you 5 to 10 times more than buying power from the PoCo for the rest of your life. On top of that luxury comes a lot of unnecessary power outages. Why would you do that?
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
      The question is why would you want to do that? You do know anything you take off grid is going to cost you 5 to 10 times more than buying power from the PoCo for the rest of your life. On top of that luxury comes a lot of unnecessary power outages. Why would you do that?
      Howdy! I'm not sure what you mean by "You do know anything you take off grid is going to cost you 5 to 10 times more than buying power from the PoCo for the rest of your life." Can you elaborate on that and how it relates to the solar panels we have on our roof? (we overproduce).

I'm also not sure what you mean by "a lot of unnecessary power outages." Can you provide additional details what you mean about that, too?

As for "Why would you do that?", my answer is that I like the look a lot better than any integrated solar lighting product I've tried so far.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X