12 Volt Solar Setup for Garage Only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
    Stop that silly, you are delusional. No solar needed or required. Just a battery charger. Solar is very far from free, you must live near the Left Coast Island of Austin where they teach non sense. Battery cost alone will cost you 5 to 10 rimes more than buying from the Power Company and the Power company is a lot more environmentally friendly than a battery manufacture. Your POCO will generate a lot less pollution and not waste as much fuel and resources your children will never see. Austin will not teach you that.
    I totally agree with you. Grid tied is the way to go. In the future, I want to buy about 20 ~ 30x 300 watt solar panels and one Sunny Boy and install all my self. Just need to find out how to get the permit and hire a license installer to give me his signature to get the credits from the govt.
    Last edited by john95; 09-20-2016, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Only idiots would use gasoline. Are you an idiot? Battery cost depending on model and manufactture wil cost you 75-cent to over $1 per Kwh. Not onlyu are you pissing away money but become a very heavy polluter. Not something you would want to brag about or let anyone know you believe.
      I am an advocate for greenhouse. I wish every American would drive an EV. Zero pollution.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

Well maybe he doesn't care or believe (like some other people here on the forum) that CO2 levels from burning gas is a problem.
        I really do care about the pollution problem. That's why I got my EV. Unfortunate, EVs are still very expensive for the masses. Pollution is killing us all.

Comment

Originally posted by john95 View Post

You are not going to sleep well with that noise, the Exhaust fumes and the guilt of contaminating the planet! ha, ha, ha.
          By the way, what batteries 65 Ah and how many do you have for your setup?
          It is a blue top Optima form 27. I think it is rated 62 or 65Ah when I bought it. It sits nicely in that little battery box that I showed in my small portable system. The problem was only getting an 80 watt panel to charge it when I should have gotten at least a 100watt or 120 watt panel. Live and learn I say.

Here is a picture of the system.

Comment

I wish every American would drive an EV. Zero pollution.
            John you seem to be a fairly smart person and must realize that is FICTION. Only way that EV is Zero Pollution is if you are using nuclear power to generate the electricity. Look I am a huge supporters of EV's, I even build my own NEV and help others do the same. All you are doing is moving the exhaust pipe from your vehicle to the Electric Power Plant and switching to a different source fuel from Petroleum use din an ICE, to 33% Coal 33%

Now having said that the emissions of an EV is a little lower than an ICE, but not near the extent the EPA or DOA would lead you to believe. The difference is Well to Wheel efficiency is higher using electricity because Boilers used to make electricity convert the heat energy better than a ICE. You average car engine heat efficiency is 30%, JPM check my math, and a Utility on the order of 40 to 55% depending on fuel used.

Here is the problem. US generation capacity and infrastructure do not exist to support moving to EV's You gotta build more generation and transmission.
            Last edited by Sunking; 09-20-2016, 03:56 PM.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

It is a blue top Optima form 27. I think it is rated 62 or 65Ah when I bought it. It sits nicely in that little battery box that I showed in my small portable system. The problem was only getting an 80 watt panel to charge it when I should have gotten at least a 100watt or 120 watt panel. Live and learn I say.

Here is a picture of the system.

Thanks SunEagle.

Comment

Thanks SunEagle.
                You are welcome. I had fun building my solar / battery systems and have learned what I should not have done.

There is some good information here on the forum and some very knowledgeable people like Sunking, Mike, inetdog and JPM to learn from.

IMO hang around, read, ask questions, learn and please do not let the harsh language get to you. It might keep you from wasting your money like I did.

Comment

John you seem to be a fairly smart person and must realize that is FICTION. Only way that EV is Zero Pollution is if you are using nuclear power to generate the electricity. Look I am a huge supporters of EV's, I even build my own NEV and help others do the same. All you are doing is moving the exhaust pipe from your vehicle to the Electric Power Plant and switching to a different source fuel from Petroleum use din an ICE, to 33% Coal 33%

Now having said that the emissions of an EV is a little lower than an ICE, but not near the extent the EPA or DOA would lead you to believe. The difference is Well to Wheel efficiency is higher using electricity because Boilers used to make electricity convert the heat energy better than a ICE. You average car engine heat efficiency is 30%, JPM check my math, and a Utility on the order of 40 to 55% depending on fuel used.

Here is the problem. US generation capacity and infrastructure do not exist to support moving to EV's You gotta build more generation and transmission.
                  Thank you! You are a very smart person also. We need your knowledge!

We are in a transition to EVs. Eventually, I hope that all components get very affordable and perhaps we can even make our own cars. I like to be very positive, with a vision and dreams than one day may become a reality. You have to admit that we have come long ways with the EV from where we were 3 or 5 years ago.

Also, solar is much cheaper now and I believe it will continue to be more affordable as the market matures and becomes mainstream.
                  I wish we could eventually move all the Coal industry workers into the solar energy industry. Electricity is being produced by many means like water dams, wind turbines, nuclear and solar. The most interesting to me is solar because it can be produced right in your back yard or roof very easy to built as opposed to built a water dam.
                  So, All we need to built an EV is a well designed battery and a motor!

Comment

You are welcome. I had fun building my solar / battery systems and have learned what I should not have done.

There is some good information here on the forum and some very knowledgeable people like Sunking, Mike, inetdog and JPM to learn from.

IMO hang around, read, ask questions, learn and please do not let the harsh language get to you. It might keep you from wasting your money like I did.
                    Thanks again SunEagle for you wise advice! I'll hang around.
                    I'll do this little project for fun, to get learning experiences, to keep cool my drinking water and for sure to have a killer backup in case of an emergency.

Comment

LED TV : you know the ratings are for FULL backlighting / brightness, max audio right? Not sure you actually measured things with something like a P3-International Kill-A-Watt meter.

If you keep the TV in the garage, try to keep it in a very shaded area - that way you can manually cut down on the *backlighting* (not brightness), and achieve about 2/3 to sometimes 1/2 the power consumption rating. That will help.

Note about the Optima: since it isn't a conventional lead-calcium limited to 0.3C max like most agm's, but is a pure-lead-tin agm, you can hit that thing HARD if you need to take advantage of limited solar insolation. Throw half a kilowatt at it if you have the panel power. At least if it is healthy to begin with and not abused trash. CC/CV should be a quality tight-spec unit.

Expensive for sure, but just sayin' in case anyone in Alaska has the bucks to pound a pure-lead agm (Optima, Enerys/Odyssey) into operation in the winter.

Last edited by PNjunction; 09-27-2016, 06:52 PM. Reason: changed brightness to backlight

Comment

Originally posted by PNjunction View Post
                        LED TV : you know the ratings are for FULL brightness, max audio right? Not sure you actually measured things with something like a P3-International Kill-A-Watt meter.

If you keep the TV in the garage, try to keep it in a very shaded area - that way you can manually cut down on the *backlighting* (not brightness), and achieve about 2/3 to sometimes 1/2 the power consumption rating. That will help.

Note about the Optima: since it isn't a conventional lead-calcium limited to 0.3C max like most agm's, but is a pure-lead-tin agm, you can hit that thing HARD if you need to take advantage of limited solar insolation. Throw half a kilowatt at it if you have the panel power. At least if it is healthy to begin with and not abused trash. CC/CV should be a quality tight-spec unit.

Expensive for sure, but just sayin' in case anyone in Alaska has the bucks to pound a pure-lead agm (Optima, Enerys/Odyssey) into operation in the winter.

The Optima is a little pricey but I like it.

Comment

Working...
                        X