Cold weather battery option for shed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold weather battery option for shed?

We have an 8x6 shed where we keep the recycling, garbage, snowblower and other stuff. Winter time it gets below freezing (right down to -20c which I understand is not good for nimh batteries, nor lead acid (which explains why a lot of my garden lights only last a year). Apparently nicd are better but they have memory problems. What rechargeable systems are out there that can hold up to the winter temps?

I looked at the "shed light" that harbor freight sells but I suspect the batteries would only be good until winter.

Originally posted by CruisnGrrl View Post
    We have an 8x6 shed where we keep the recycling, garbage, snowblower and other stuff. Winter time it gets below freezing (right down to -20c which I understand is not good for nimh batteries, nor lead acid (which explains why a lot of my garden lights only last a year). Apparently nicd are better but they have memory problems. What rechargeable systems are out there that can hold up to the winter temps?

I looked at the "shed light" that harbor freight sells but I suspect the batteries would
    only be good until winter.
    Lead acid will function at -30F (-35C) if fully charged. Started my car. Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by CruisnGrrl View Post

I looked at the "shed light" that harbor freight sells but I suspect the batteries would only be good until winter.
      As Bruce said, conventional lead acid batteries can go quite low when fully charged without freezing. AGMs are even better. However, you should also be aware that the colder temperatures decrease the capacity of batteries significantly (while extending their lifetime, which is a good thing).

Comment

Fully charge them and you are good to go.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Good to know. I have a couple of these http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/co...-0112007p.html and some motorcycle batteries kicking around, now i just need the appropriate lights and a switch.

Comment

Working...
          X