Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st Post, Solar Shed Lighting, Need Guidance!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lkruper View Post
    Try this:

1) Pick your 12v bulb[s] and note amps.
    2) Multiply amps by number of hours usage per week.
    3) Multiply that by 2

This is your battery in AH.

Lets get some bulbs at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/White-Sunthin-...5%3A2470955011

1) One 7w led bulb at 12v dc. 7w/12v = 0.6 amps.
    2) 0.6 amps X 2 hrs per week = 1.2 Amp Hours
    3) 1.2 Amp Hour X 2 = 2.4 AH (To make sure you only discharge battery to 50%)

Lets pick a battery. Does not need to be big. Odyssey AGM is a good brand.
    http://www.amazon.com/Odyssey-PC680-...5%3A2470955011

With this battery you can run that one light bulb for 2 hours a week for 7 weeks.

Now lets charge it. You need a small smart charger. Odyssey batteries like Odyssey chargers.
    http://www.amazon.com/Odyssey-Batter...harger+odyssey

The battery only weighs 13 pounds and is maintenance free. You can safely charge it in your house and take it back
    to your shed.
    Thats awesome information, thanks for taking the time to help me.

Couple more questions,

Say I did want to switch over to a solar system later on, would the same battery still work fine when hooked up to a solar charger/controller?

Here is the really stupid question: I have a couple of those clamp-on metal dish work lights that you can screw a regular bulb into. They are great! Can I screw one of these LED bulbs into one of those work lights? If so, do I just cut the 2-prong AC plug off and then crimp on some ring terminals or alligator clips to hook it to the battery?

Comment

Originally posted by Motodeficient View Post
      Thats awesome information, thanks for taking the time to help me.

Couple more questions,

Say I did want to switch over to a solar system later on, would the same battery still work fine when hooked up to a solar charger/controller?

Here is the really stupid question: I have a couple of those clamp-on metal dish work lights that you can screw a regular bulb into. They are great! Can I screw one of these LED bulbs into one of those work lights? If so, do I just cut the 2-prong AC plug off and then crimp on some ring terminals or alligator clips to hook it to the battery?
      Yes, that battery will work fine with solar. You won't need a big system. As for jerry-rigging a fixture, should work as far as I know. You won't have much risk of shock at 12v with low amps. However, I gave you links to a quality battery and charger. You won't spend much more doing it right. Also, don't forget fuses to protect everything.

Comment

Originally posted by lkruper View Post
        Yes, that battery will work fine with solar. You won't need a big system. As for jerry-rigging a fixture, should work as far as I know. You won't have much risk of shock at 12v with low amps. However, I gave you links to a quality battery and charger. You won't spend much more doing it right. Also, don't forget fuses to protect everything.
        A small 50w panel like this at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Watts-V...tt+solar+panel) would work fine. Don't buy at Harbor Freight. A panel like this, even in the winter would keep your battery fully charged most of the time. You might never use the charger.

Comment

Originally posted by Msollars View Post
          Utility power is probably 25-30 feet, but i'm trying not to tie it to the house utilities. Our building code guy said that if it's tied to the house, either physically connected, or running house utilities (power, water, etc) then i'll have to pay taxes on the structure.

Matt
          I think (not sure) that you could run low voltage from the house to the shed without a permit.

Comment

Working...
          X