Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar LED lighting for the shed

New to this idea.

I'm on a rental property, I was recently given a go to flip the shed in the backyard. I plan to stay here for few years. It's in bad shape but the ideas are spiraling outta control in my head.

I want to add solar powered LED lighting inside the shed where I can switch off and on when I need lights. I'm mainly going to be storing my fishing stuff, some yard stuff inside this shed. When I move out though, I'm going to take the solar lighting set up with me anyway!! So any guides and help will be greatly appreciated!

I also would like to keep this as cheap as possible? The shed is also fairly small. Probably 8ft by 10ft.

Hello wshields and welcome to Solar Panel Talk

If you are going to rarely use the lighting in that shed and want to keep the costs down then I would advise not going with a solar/battery system.

It is going to cost you at least a few hundred dollars to get a small solar panel, battery, charge controller and inverter. That system maybe produces a couple hundred watt hours a day. Then you will have to replace the battery in a few years if you use it every day or not. Or for much less spending you can go with a portable battery operated LED lantern.

If you don't mind spending hundreds for a solar/battery system then we can help but first you have to tell us exactly what loads (watts) you will be running and for how long (hours) in a day. From there the battery and panel wattage can be calculated.

Comment

I'm thinking of adding several strip of LED lightings inside the shed. It's obviously going to be really low wattage of power required.

What if I throw in large battery without replacing it for long term (like more than a year) and add a switch to turn on and off?

Comment

Originally posted by wshields View Post
        I'm thinking of adding several strip of LED lightings inside the shed. It's obviously going to be really low wattage of power required.

What if I throw in large battery without replacing it for long term (like more than a year) and add a switch to turn on and off?
        Using a single battery connected to LED string lights will work. EverReady make some pretty nice ones that should last a while depending on how many watts those LEDs are.

If you want to go with a rechargeable battery, my suggestion is to not use one that is too big (like a car or big deep cell type) so that you can carry it back to the house and recharge it using a grid powered battery charger. That will be much less expensive then purchasing and installing solar panels and a solar charge controller.

Comment

Working...
        X