Lights for workshop and barn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by foo1bar View Post
    What would it take to get power to there?
    I'd probably look at renting a ditchwitch and trenching in wire to the shop and putting in a small subpanel.

Then you can have the air-compressor, air tools, and power tools in the shop.
    (at least when I think shop, I'm thinking you are very likely to want some power tools and/or air-tools.)

But if all you really want is a few LED lights for a few hours a week, solar panels are certainly an option.
    Another might be a couple of flashlights that work off the same battery packs as cordless drills. (which may or may not be more expensive plan than what you're planning now)
    Yes, we did look into getting power from the grid. It's a long story but the short is, the power people wanted $3000+ just to put a transformer on the pole along the road. There is a transformer about 50 feet away, so I don't understand that entirely except they were concerned about "browning out" the neighbor if I ran heavy. it was another 3000 to get to the barn whether it was overhead or underground. Too much money for this old farmboy.
    You're right about the shop though. To do that stuff, I have to haul everything up to the house most of the time. I do run a small generator, but it's not very convenient.

Comment

Originally posted by plowboy View Post
      Can you advise me on what size LED light/lights would be suitable for over a workshop bench? My barn/shop has no power and I'm confused about what size LEDS to use. Thank you.
      About LED light wattage, we should consider illumination area, and height of your workshop bench.

There is no power there, solar energy will be a good choice, how many hours should LED lights work per day?
      And you should also consider weather in your place, whether is it often rainy or cloudy, and daily sunshine lasting time.

Comment

Originally posted by YCsolar View Post
        About LED light wattage, we should consider illumination area, and height of your workshop bench.

There is no power there, solar energy will be a good choice, how many hours should LED lights work per day?
        And you should also consider weather in your place, whether is it often rainy or cloudy, and daily sunshine lasting time.
        Thank you for the reply! Height of the ceiling is about 7' and the area is approximately 200 sq. ft..
        weather in western mass., U.S.A is pretty good. Solar seems to be catching on here.
        I'm in the barn/shed maybe 1-4 hours/ day.
        I have decided to start out with a 150 watt kit and see how it works.
        Thanks again for the interest and may the sun always shine on your panels!

Comment

Originally posted by plowboy View Post
          Thank you for the reply! Height of the ceiling is about 7' and the area is approximately 200 sq. ft..
          weather in western mass., U.S.A is pretty good. Solar seems to be catching on here.
          I'm in the barn/shed maybe 1-4 hours/ day.
          I have decided to start out with a 150 watt kit and see how it works.
          Thanks again for the interest and may the sun always shine on your panels!
          150W kit will be totally enough. It is low consumption system, I guess you can consider a solar lantern, it can work at daytime & night.
          150W kit without battery cost will be at least 100USD. But a solar lantern will be about 30-50USD.

Comment

Originally posted by YCsolar View Post
            150W kit will be totally enough. It is low consumption system, I guess you can consider a solar lantern, it can work at daytime & night.
            150W kit without battery cost will be at least 100USD. But a solar lantern will be about 30-50USD.
            Thanks again, great information and I will look up the solar lantern.

Comment

look at some "tape" strips of LED lights. about a $40 kit at box hardware store. I have a 36" long strip, I cut into 2 halves, and have both valance/soffit lighting and a under cabinet from the kit. Has a 10W transformer, and may run fine from 12V battery. or 2 or 3 kits
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
                look at some "tape" strips of LED lights. about a $40 kit at box hardware store. I have a 36" long strip, I cut into 2 halves, and have both valance/soffit lighting and a under cabinet from the kit. Has a 10W transformer, and may run fine from 12V battery. or 2 or 3 kits
                Good tip Mike. Those LED strips have come way down in price and can provide more uniform light over a counter top then some of those single bulbs.

That's why I like my 20 watt 4 foot LED lamp. I get pretty good light distribution about 6 feet wide over my workbench but it did cost a lot more then those strip lights.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
                  Good tip Mike. Those LED strips have come way down in price and can provide more uniform light over a counter top then some of those single bulbs.

That's why I like my 20 watt 4 foot LED lamp. I get pretty good light distribution about 6 feet wide over my workbench but it did cost a lot more then those strip lights.
                  Thanks, all good ideas!

Comment

Working...
                  X