Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace halogen lights with LED

Hi Guys,

Last year our brand new house was finished being constructed. At the time we had our builder install Haogen downlights in the main living area (Kitchen, Living area and Dinning area), which is a grand total of 16 Halogen downlights, plus the Hallway which is another 6. At the time our builder wasn't doing LED Downlights, so we had to settle for Halogen and upgrade later on.

I am now looking into upgading the downlights to LED and, after doing some reasearch, I am still in need for some guidence.

At the moment the Halogen Downlights are all MR16 connections and connected into the cheap 12v Transformer that the builder used (20-60w). So, from my understanding, in order to replace the Halogens with LED globes I will also need to upgrade the transformers to ones which will be happy with LEDS. I understand that I can have multiple LED's connected to 1 transformer, so no need to buy a new transformer for every downlight. This is easy enough, as the lights are all grouped fairly closly together, so I should be able to get away with 7 transformers.

Is this the best way of doing this, simply replacing the bulbs and transformers and keeping the currently installed downlight kits? Or would it be a better idea to simply take out the current downlight kits and replace with new GU10 Downlight kits with LED globes wired directly to 240v? Which will be cheaper and more effective?

Also, quick question on what you guys think are the most cost effective LEDs out there. Seems there is a lot of brands around, so just wondering which will be the best for the money.
    Last edited by russ; 04-11-2014, 12:09 PM. Reason: removed link

Man your contractor really screwed you over using MR16 fixtures rather than The ole fashion Edison or even the new GU24 base used for 120 volts AC. Reason I say this is conversion to LED is very simple by just removing th ePAR bulb and replace with a fairy inexpensive LED light Trim kit. Takes less than a minute to do. Home Depot carries a line of lights called Ecosmart and they have LED downlight/trim kits which are made by CREE for $27 for a single unit or ordered on-line in packs of 4 for $24/unit.

To do what you are wanting would require to replace the the cans and completely rewire all the lights and that is going to be expensive.

Edit NOTE

What country are you in? I notice you said 240 VAC. Are you in Europe?
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Jennifer - Posting again from HongKong to get your link in?
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

look at the low voltage LED lighting at https://www.wiredco.com/LED_Lighting...age_s/1874.htm for some good ideas. the G4 disc units have 8-30V AC/DC driver in them, should be OK in the existing transformers.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
          look at the low voltage LED lighting at https://www.wiredco.com/LED_Lighting...age_s/1874.htm for some good ideas. the G4 disc units have 8-30V AC/DC driver in them, should be OK in the existing transformers.
          ^^^ Oooh, I likey...
          been looking for something like that...
          Thanks Mike!
          [CENTER]SunLight @ Night[/CENTER]

Comment

LED lighting

Originally posted by Shockah View Post
            ^^^ Oooh, I likey...
            been looking for something like that...
            Thanks Mike!
            I would strongly suggest to forget about the old MR 16s and take the lot out and put in a new LED 240V kit. The LED retrofitting into existing MR 16 sets can cause issues with transformer mismatch.

The new LED set to put in the previous MR 16 spot should cost approx $40 -$45 per set. It lasts 20 000 h plus

Comment

Originally posted by HerrSolar View Post
              It lasts 20 000 h plus

Maybe 20,000 hours and it is 120 volt
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Replacing a MR16 halogen bulb with a MR16 LED bulb is obviously a simple unplug replug. Only problem is if they wewre 50w halogens you most likely find the switch mode power supply wont work if transformer they most likely be ok.. If the supplies were designed for 20w halogens they most likely will work.

After having done this conversion many timesfor friends thats the results Ihave always had.
                MR16 halogens are the most power wasteful light I think ever invented. Incredible heat for so little usable output. I have seen 10 and12 used to light one room thats 12 x 50w =600w to light one room..Most of them seen to also use the worst designed power supplies also. so much heat in the ceiling and many times its made worse by insulation installers putting insulation over the top of the transformer/switch mode supplies.

Comment

I have swapped out a few hundred 12v 50w mr16's with 12v led replacements. No issues. All of the transformers were basic magnetic units. Some were single trans per light set ups and others were a larger 300watt transformer feeding up to 6 lamps.

One job had over 200 of these lamps. I was changing several Burnt out lamps a week and since going led I haven't changed a single lamp(4 months). There were also a few cooked sockets before and none now. Mr16s really are wasteful.

Comment

As I said if transformer you ok .. if switch mode the 50w units can many times be a problem.

Comment

AYDINLATMADA ENERJİ TASARRUFU ve YÖNTEMLERİ

Ülkemizde üretilen toplam enerji kaynağının %25‟i Çeşitli aydınlatma hizmetlerinde kullanılmaktadır.çevremizde oldukça sık olarakKullanılan akkor flamanlı ışıklı ampuller elektrik akımının %95‟ini ısıya çevirerek, sadece şok küçük bir kısmını ışığa dönüştürmek suretiyle aydınlatma imkanı sağlamaktadır.E27,GU10,MR16,G13, duylu 12V,24V,220V ampulle aydınlanan yerlerde bir takım olumsuzluklardan biride sıcak iklimlerde ampullerden kaynaklanan ilave ısı sıcaklığını azaltmak için klima kullanımı ihtiyacının daha fazla artmasıdır demektir. Son zamanlarda oldukça gelişmiş olan kompakt T5,T8 LED Floresanlar gereksiz ıısınmalara meyil vermediği gibi Tasarruflu ampule göre yaklaşık olarak 5 katı daha fazla verimli aydınlatma sağlamaktadır.<Link removed>

---Mod Note: Two problems with this post:
                      1. Forum is English-only, since we do not have the moderator resources to support other languages
                      2. Commercial links are not allowed.
                      Last edited by inetdog; 12-27-2014, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by silverled View Post
                        Ülkemizde üretilen toplam enerji kaynağının %25‟i Çeşitli aydınlatma hizmetlerinde kullanılmaktadır.çevremizde oldukça sık olarakKullanılan akkor flamanlı ışıklı ampuller elektrik akımının %95‟ini ısıya çevirerek, sadece şok küçük bir kısmını ışığa dönüştürmek suretiyle aydınlatma imkanı sağlamaktadır.E27,GU10,MR16,G13, duylu 12V,24V,220V ampulle aydınlanan yerlerde bir takım olumsuzluklardan biride sıcak iklimlerde ampullerden kaynaklanan ilave ısı sıcaklığını azaltmak için klima kullanımı ihtiyacının daha fazla artmasıdır demektir. Son zamanlarda oldukça gelişmiş olan kompakt T5,T8 LED Floresanlar gereksiz ıısınmalara meyil vermediği gibi Tasarruflu ampule göre yaklaşık olarak 5 katı daha fazla verimli aydınlatma sağlamaktadır.<Link removed>

---Mod Note: Two problems with this post:
                        1. Forum is English-only, since we do not have the moderator resources to support other languages
                        2. Commercial links are not allowed.
                        Cute actually - buying LED fixtures here in Turkey is a joke - 100% imported by people that have no idea what they are talking about. I suspect that any time someone becomes proficient in a tech trade they are automatically issued a visa for the US, EU, Canada, Australia or similar.
                        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                        X