Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • t5800512
    Solar Fanatic
    • May 2013

Really, are you saying that everyone on this forum will eventually become rude? I will not. I was raised better than that. If it got under my skin like that, I would drop out for a while.

Besides, I don't think you believe that yourself. I have seen hundreds of your posts, including the ones where you have helped me, and I have never seen you be rude.

I have only seen one person on this forum being rude; and it happens regularly. I believe he has chased off as many people as he has helped. If he has become that jaded, maybe he should take a break for a while.

Comment

• Naptown
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2011

Sometimes that's the price of free accurate no bs advice.
      I do sales. Completely different mentality than that of an engineer.
      Your profile says that you are also an engineer.
      NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• t5800512
        Solar Fanatic
        • May 2013

Yes, I am an engineer, and I think like an engineer. Not sure what difference that makes in this conversation.

Naptown, I appreciate you. You have always been very helpful and very professional with me. Sunking can be very helpful also. He is very knowledgeable, especially about battery systems.

I do get what you are saying about people that do not do their homework before asking the questions. That can be annoying (on any forum). But maybe we should ask them if they have tried doing a search. I don't think we should belittle them. Sometimes it is hard to know the right questions to ask, or the right search to do.

Comment

• thastinger
          Solar Fanatic
          • Oct 2012

Probably a good point to consider is that it is difficult to transmit the true intention of a message in typed words. As with all communications though, the responsibility for effective communications lies with the transmitter, not the receiver.
          1150W, Midnite Classic 200, Cotek PSW, 8 T-605s

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by t5800512
            Yes, I am an engineer, and I think like an engineer. Not sure what difference that makes in this conversation.

Naptown, I appreciate you. You have always been very helpful and very professional with me. Sunking can be very helpful also. He is very knowledgeable, especially about battery systems.

I do get what you are saying about people that do not do their homework before asking the questions. That can be annoying (on any forum). But maybe we should ask them if they have tried doing a search. I don't think we should belittle them. Sometimes it is hard to know the right questions to ask, or the right search to do.
            The sad part is that a lot of new people come into the forum with the attitude that solar is cheap and "green". Neither is true but it sometimes takes being a little blunt to get their attention. They just don't want to believe or listen.

I was also put off by Sunking and russ at first but then realized that after a while, the "free and acurate" information that they provided was ignored by a lot of people. That would make anyone a little teed off and result in blunt and honest retorts.

I don't like rudness but I also don't want people to waste their hard earned money on stuff they do not need to buy. So I too have a breaking point when it comes to people not even trying to use their brains or listen to good advice so I may get a little short with them. If they are turned off by my "rudeness" then I can either appologize or shrug my shoulders and hope they learn something without breaking their bank account.

Hang around a while and you too may get irratated to the point of telling someone off.

Comment

• Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Griffter
              Ok so I can get something like a varta 12v50Ahr for about £65. Don't know if that's a good price but its smaller in size than I thought. Any other recommends?
              Got a model number. It is not a bad price but I suspect it is Starting Battery

Assuming I went with this size it would last me the planned week.
              If I went for 2 weeks what's the best options for keeping it charged whilst away?
              Car / Solar / Mains
              Well assuming you are not near Mains that is out. A set of jumper cables, connect to vehicle battery, start vehicle and let it run for 30 minutes to an hour.

Also I'm guessing this will need to live in a battery box, are these ok inside tent or should it be kept outside?
              Only to keep it from getting wet.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

• Griffter
                • Aug 2013

Wow.

Battery I found is here.
                A23 VARTA Hobby Leisure Battery Innovation with Purpose, Premium Experience, Powerful History VARTA was founded in 1887 Germany, and was established fully in 1904 by delivering the first electric vehicle battery, famously driven by Thomas Edison. Soon after, VARTA delivers the first ever vehicle battery to provide safe night time driving with electric vehicle headlights! Today’s VARTA batteries have been providing renowned German advanced technology, powerful performance and exceptional service around the world for well over 100 years. VARTA Hobby Leisure Battery range provide caravans, motorhomes, boats, sailing yachts and motor yachts with energy in a safe and reliable manner: as lighting batteries to supply the electrical system, as power transmission batteries for an electrical outboard engine, or as a power source for most household appliances via an inverter. Maintenance Free Other References 95406, Varta DIN: 954 006 000 2 Year Warranty *Always cross reference dimensions and specifications to your existing battery or application before ordering.

Says its leisure ref is 95406

In response to the other posts & comments.
                Yes Im a little shocked at the way I was addressed, but I do appreciate the advice more so considering high cost involved and possibility of getting it wrong
                I did search, but like with most forums unless you know what you are looking for its not always that easy to find things and sometimes it is quicker to post. I didn't see any stickies in the forum which many have adopted as quick reference areas for repeated questions.

Perhaps half the problem is that there is a large amount of advertising for green solutions but little easy access info.

All I can say is thanks to those who have given me advice and save me some badly invested £'s

Comment

• Sunking
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2010

Yes Im a little shocked at the way I was addressed, but I do appreciate the advice more so considering high cost involved and possibility of getting it wrong
                  I bet it got your attention and made you rethink what you are doing huh? That is what it is suppose to do. Makes you stop and think about it, ask more questions before throwing good money away at a bad idea.

All I can say is thanks to those who have given me advice and save me some badly invested £'s
                  You are welcome.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

• Sunking
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Feb 2010

Wow.

Battery I found is here.
                    A23 VARTA Hobby Leisure Battery Innovation with Purpose, Premium Experience, Powerful History VARTA was founded in 1887 Germany, and was established fully in 1904 by delivering the first electric vehicle battery, famously driven by Thomas Edison. Soon after, VARTA delivers the first ever vehicle battery to provide safe night time driving with electric vehicle headlights! Today’s VARTA batteries have been providing renowned German advanced technology, powerful performance and exceptional service around the world for well over 100 years. VARTA Hobby Leisure Battery range provide caravans, motorhomes, boats, sailing yachts and motor yachts with energy in a safe and reliable manner: as lighting batteries to supply the electrical system, as power transmission batteries for an electrical outboard engine, or as a power source for most household appliances via an inverter. Maintenance Free Other References 95406, Varta DIN: 954 006 000 2 Year Warranty *Always cross reference dimensions and specifications to your existing battery or application before ordering.

Says its leisure ref is 95406.
                    That will work, not a battery I would choose, but I do not know what is really available in your area. If you live in the UK take a look at Rolls Marine battery line up like a 12FS80 or an AGM like S1295AGM. Both are a little larger but extremely high quality with a great 2/7 warranty.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Sunking
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by t5800512
                      Just ignore Sunking. There is no place for that kind of talk on this forum. Sunking is knowledgeable and could help you if he wanted. But he would rather talk ****. I for one am getting pretty darn tired of it.
                      You are breaking my heart dude. Get over it, I do not care what you think. I just saved this guy a ton of cash. All you wanted to do is be nice and spend his cash for him like a nice polite salesman would do. Engineers find solutions, not waste clients cash.
                      MSEE, PE

Comment

• russ
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Sunking
                        You are breaking my heart dude. Get over it, I do not care what you think. I just saved this guy a ton of cash. All you wanted to do is be nice and spend his cash for him like a nice polite salesman would do. Engineers find solutions, not waste clients cash.
                        The whiny types come and go - no big thing.
                        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Sunking
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by russ
                          The whiny types come and go - no big thing.
                          It is like Lost Wages (aka Las Vegas) where you go to get robbed at the tables, over charged for everything, lied to, screwed, blued, and tattooed, come home and tell everyone what a great time you had and cannot wait to go back. It is pure marketing genius.

So I do not care if I hurt someones feelings once in a while. Truth hurts sometimes and needs to be blunt to get someones attention. Once they understand what you are trying to do usually say thank you. That is how good effective management works. You tear them down, then build them back up with confidence.
                          MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...