X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Commercial signage lights as Illumination sources

re: axiompowercorp products.

They looked really good to me, so I ordered a batch.

Anyway, got the sign modules in, and had to play with one in the lab this AM.

The come pre-wired, daisy chain style, on a fat spool

This model are made from simple resistor current limit gadgets, not the constant current drivers like I'd hoped they'd be. The resistors heat up a bit, but not too terribly, and almost anything as a heat sink on the back, cools things right down. They are only spec'd for 12.0V, and on the solar system, with a night light switch, should seldom see anymore than that, and I made a few tests with a couple of 1N3611 diodes, to see what their voltage drop would do to the module. (attached notes on PDF)

There is no lens or optics, just the bare LED, and the beam from the two emitters is fairly broad. I could see using a couple of these in a house, as low level night lighting, to avoid having to switch on lights just to navigate around in the dark.

Attached PDF shows how resistors (100 ohms) are wired (4 in parallel, and two parallel banks in series) to spread the heat around. (entire module 1.8W spec, I calculated about 1.5W)

All in all, I like them, Not real high intensity, but good enough. Too bad the shipping & handling costs (from Las Vegas) were killer for 4 day surface.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mike90250; 12-09-2009, 02:56 PM.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister
  • SUNTRONENERGY
    • Oct 2009

Mike,

I have never done any testing on the LE4 series. Only on the LE3 and LE7. The LE3 series are designed to operate @14.7 V. (head engineer has told me they can safely operate @ 16Vdc. This makes them a wonderul option for running directly off of a 12V battery bank. Fluctuation in V from varying levels of charge will not hurt the LE3 series. The LE3 are stated to consume .75W....I have found them to consume about
    .83W per module. Still very Low! Try these in "Cool White" (6500k) They are awesome.

The LE7 are designed for 12V dc. They are incredibly bright and will for sure impress you. Running them off 12V bank with resistors would work but they do consume roughly 1.5W per module. Try these in 6500k as well.

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

Originally posted by SUNTRONENERGY
      Try these in 6500k as well.
      No thanks, that's not a "natural color". Well, if you are a welder, and watch a lot of TV. Then the blue tint looks fine !

Wife prefers the warm white color for anything indoors.

"If Momma ain't happy, nobody's happy"
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• SUNTRONENERGY
        • Oct 2009

I hear ya. I am coming strictly from a Signage perspective but maybe our friend with the aquarium is after a different color lighting?

Comment

Working...