X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JessG
    • Aug 2012

Looking for feedback in Massachusetts

Hi,
    I'm considering installing solar and have already met with 3 companies. I'm also pretty new to this. Thinking more about doing a PPA to avoid big upfront expenses so I've eliminated one of the companies since they just offer outright purchase. That leaves me with Real Goods Solar and Solar City. I'm thinking of contacting at least one other company give me additional options -- wondering if anyone has experience with Ross Solar, AdEnergy, and Brightstar? -- or if there are others I should also be checking into.

One of the differences that I'm wondering about is that Real Goods would use EnPhase microinverters while Solar City would use Solar Edge, which they say has all the benefits of a central inverter and microinverters without any of the down side. Does anyone have any experience with this?

The other big difference (I think) would be in the choice of panels. RG prefers to use Canadian Solar, while SC would prefer Yingli or Trina.
  • grinnelljd
    • Aug 2012

I recently had a system installed by Real Goods in Massachusetts. Like you I also had a quote from SolarCity that I also seriously considered.

Because of my small available roof space I opted to go for higher efficiency panels from SunPower. I don't have any shading issues so they recommended a system with 18 230W SunPower panels coupled with a SMA 4000 inverter; if you have any shading issues then the micro inverters are probably the way to go to increase system efficiency.

As far as Real Goods goes the crew that came out to perform the installation was top notch. They showed up when they said they would and each one obviously knew their job. I could not recommend them enough; they were really that good.

The back office experience was another matter. I was left with the impression of an office staff that had more work than they were staffed for. There were errors and delays that just should not have happened. For example, the interconnection application actually had another person's name and address listed in the section for where any production credit would be applied. I was happy I caught that before I sent it back.

They also failed to identify all the MA rebates I was eligible for. The paperwork they provided only had the base rebate, but it turns out I was eligible for the moderate home value adder as well. I discovered that myself just after I sent the application back and had to jump through hoops to get the additional credit.

I suppose the lesson here is no matter who you choose and no matter how long they have been in the business it behooves you to do your own research to see what rebates you are eligible for and to scrutinize in detail each application they send you for your signature. If you count on their expertise you may discover later that you missed out on money you were eligible for.

Finally, start the registration process for having your system qualified for participation in the SREC market as soon as you can. Real Goods never sent me the SREC information until two weeks after my system had been producing and that was because I was pestering them for it. (In the end all they gave me was a link to SRECtrade.com and another address with a promise to help if I was confused by anything. Heck they could have given me that info when I signed up; why the delay?) Given the fact that it can take 8 weeks to have a system approved means that I'm missing out on applying some of my production towards SRECs.

There were other smaller errors/annoyances with Real Goods, but I'm quite happy with my system (except for the very limited Locus Energy monitor) and like I said the installation crew was amazing. I just wish I could say the same about the back office folk...maybe they are amazing, but just overworked.

Best wishes with your solar choice.

Comment

• kcassidy2003hd
      • Jun 2012

Originally posted by grinnelljd
      I recently had a system installed by Real Goods in Massachusetts. Like you I also had a quote from SolarCity that I also seriously considered.

Because of my small available roof space I opted to go for higher efficiency panels from SunPower. I don't have any shading issues so they recommended a system with 18 230W SunPower panels coupled with a SMA 4000 inverter; if you have any shading issues then the micro inverters are probably the way to go to increase system efficiency.

As far as Real Goods goes the crew that came out to perform the installation was top notch. They showed up when they said they would and each one obviously knew their job. I could not recommend them enough; they were really that good.

The back office experience was another matter. I was left with the impression of an office staff that had more work than they were staffed for. There were errors and delays that just should not have happened. For example, the interconnection application actually had another person's name and address listed in the section for where any production credit would be applied. I was happy I caught that before I sent it back.

They also failed to identify all the MA rebates I was eligible for. The paperwork they provided only had the base rebate, but it turns out I was eligible for the moderate home value adder as well. I discovered that myself just after I sent the application back and had to jump through hoops to get the additional credit.

I suppose the lesson here is no matter who you choose and no matter how long they have been in the business it behooves you to do your own research to see what rebates you are eligible for and to scrutinize in detail each application they send you for your signature. If you count on their expertise you may discover later that you missed out on money you were eligible for.

Finally, start the registration process for having your system qualified for participation in the SREC market as soon as you can. Real Goods never sent me the SREC information until two weeks after my system had been producing and that was because I was pestering them for it. (In the end all they gave me was a link to SRECtrade.com and another address with a promise to help if I was confused by anything. Heck they could have given me that info when I signed up; why the delay?) Given the fact that it can take 8 weeks to have a system approved means that I'm missing out on applying some of my production towards SRECs.

There were other smaller errors/annoyances with Real Goods, but I'm quite happy with my system (except for the very limited Locus Energy monitor) and like I said the installation crew was amazing. I just wish I could say the same about the back office folk...maybe they are amazing, but just overworked.

Best wishes with your solar choice.
      I had quotes from both Reals Goods and Solar City. However, I went with a company from New Hampshire/Maine called reVision Energy. The price was much better (~1.00 per watt) and I was impressed with the references and the experience that they have. I am in Essex county so its close to the NH office/warehouse. Where are you located?

Our 7.2Kw system is installed but not turned on yet due to the rebate processing paperwork. It seems that the volume of applications is overwhelming the system.

Good luck!

Comment

• SolarFlower
        • Jan 2013

~1/watt after rebates?

Originally posted by kcassidy2003hd
        I had quotes from both Reals Goods and Solar City. However, I went with a company from New Hampshire/Maine called reVision Energy. The price was much better (~1.00 per watt) and I was impressed with the references and the experience that they have. I am in Essex county so its close to the NH office/warehouse. Where are you located?

Our 7.2Kw system is installed but not turned on yet due to the rebate processing paperwork. It seems that the volume of applications is overwhelming the system.

Good luck!
        The $1/watt is that after all the credits and rebates? If so what what was the cost before the credits and rebates? I am looking to install a 5KW-6KW system and I want to get a ball park idea of what to expect.

Thanks.

Comment

• kcassidy2003hd
          • Jun 2012

Originally posted by SolarFlower
          The $1/watt is that after all the credits and rebates? If so what what was the cost before the credits and rebates? I am looking to install a 5KW-6KW system and I want to get a ball park idea of what to expect.

Thanks.
          After looking at my comment, it is misleading. I meant to say that I saved $1/watt with ReVision Energy.

Comment

• SolarFlower
            • Jan 2013

400MW in Mass by end of 2013?

Originally posted by kcassidy2003hd
            After looking at my comment, it is misleading. I meant to say that I saved $1/watt with ReVision Energy.
            We have decided to go with the same company. Their price was not the best but we felt more comfortable with them. I think MA will hit the 400MW mark by end of this year so I think this is the right time to go solar. Payback for our system should be about 5-6 years depending on what happens with the SRECs.

Comment

Working...