X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stomp
    • Jan 2011

Another year another credit at the end of my 12-month cycle. Very happy I went w/ solar.

Our house was built 30 years ago and we've only remodeled 1 of the 2 floors. Once we do the remaining floor and outfit it w/ even more energy-saving windows, fixtures, appliances, and better insulate & vent the attic, I hope the credit will be a bit larger. Today it's meaningless since I still use more kwh than I produce (so no check back), but next year I'm hoping these credits will get eaten into by the next-gen plug-in hybrid Volvo XC90.

Additional information regarding
    your Net Consumption/Generation:

• Your cumulative energy charge total
    as of previous month: -$232.31

• Your current month energy charge
    total: $6.20

• Your cumulative energy charge
    Year-to-Date: -$226.11*

• Your cumulative kWh Year-to-Date:
    1,022 kWh
    *If you earned a credit on your bill,
    the amount you receive may be less
    than your Cumulative Energy Charge
    which is based on SCE's rates. Your
    "Compensation Total" is based on
    the Cumulative kWh Year-to-Date
    shown above, which is then multiplied
    by a CPUC approved value per kWh.

• Your winter Level I allowance:
    359.00kWh
    - 39.08% applied to On-Peak
    - 60.92% applied to Off-Peak

My Sunpower System:
    [URL="https://www.sunpowermonitor.com/residential/kiosk.aspx?id=2B0B7671-2507-4702-AB24-DA5805D4FF86&type=address"]https://www.sunpowermonitor.com/residential/kiosk.aspx?id=2B0B7671-2507-4702-AB24-DA5805D4FF86&type=address[/URL]

Comment

• Stomp
      • Jan 2011

That is too funny...I compare mine to a virtually identical system to mine that I found in Oceanside - IIRC he had his for one or two years prior to me getting mine.

Here is a link to his page detailing his system, etc. Just another datapoint, and one closer to SD and the coast for anybody interested.

Originally posted by silversaver
      I have compare my system with an older SP system consist of 30 X 225W @6.75kW DC system here is OC facing SW 220. The result is pretty much the same.

I'm just making sure the system is running normally. Seems like the SW facing system has its lowest production during Winter.

Here are my last 4 days reading:

1/7 12.31
      1/6 23.43
      1/5 24.23
      1/4 21.28

PS. The SP system is from our forum member Stomp

http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...-on-my-install
      My Sunpower System:
      [URL="https://www.sunpowermonitor.com/residential/kiosk.aspx?id=2B0B7671-2507-4702-AB24-DA5805D4FF86&type=address"]https://www.sunpowermonitor.com/residential/kiosk.aspx?id=2B0B7671-2507-4702-AB24-DA5805D4FF86&type=address[/URL]

Comment

• silversaver
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Stomp
        That is too funny...I compare mine to a virtually identical system to mine that I found in Oceanside - IIRC he had his for one or two years prior to me getting mine.

Here is a link to his page detailing his system, etc. Just another datapoint, and one closer to SD and the coast for anybody interested.

http://www.jjhamilton.com/solar/
        Thanks for the link. My system is pretty much as yours except little higher because you have afternoon shading. I'm still wondering if I should go with TOU or stays in regular net metering.

Comment

• Volusiano
          Solar Fanatic
          • Oct 2013

Thanks for the link. My system is pretty much as yours except little higher because you have afternoon shading. I'm still wondering if I should go with TOU or stays in regular net metering.
          Just crank your numbers through a spreadsheet and hopefully that'll help you make a decision.

Comment

• silversaver
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Volusiano
            Just crank your numbers through a spreadsheet and hopefully that'll help you make a decision.
            My solar will cover 100% of my usage, so I am in no hurry since the EV isn't ready yet. I did make a spreadsheet, but my last 3 years' usages were all different..... thats what happen when you have a young and growing family haha

Comment

• Volusiano
              Solar Fanatic
              • Oct 2013

My solar will cover 100% of my usage, so I am in no hurry since the EV isn't ready yet. I did make a spreadsheet, but my last 3 years' usages were all different..... thats what happen when you have a young and growing family haha
              Mathematically speaking, if you're at net zero metering each month, you want to be on the basic plan and not any kind of TOU plan. That's because the price of the energy doesn't matter anymore. It can be $0.10/kwh or $10/kwh, it will never affect you. By definition, the only reason you want to go with the TOU plan is because the price of energy depending on the time of use matters to you. With net zero metering each month, you won't have this problem in the first place.

Comment

• silversaver
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Volusiano
                Mathematically speaking, if you're at net zero metering each month, you want to be on the basic plan and not any kind of TOU plan. That's because the price of the energy doesn't matter anymore. It can be $0.10/kwh or $10/kwh, it will never affect you. By definition, the only reason you want to go with the TOU plan is because the price of energy depending on the time of use matters to you. With net zero metering each month, you won't have this problem in the first place.
                If I add an EV then it will not be enough...... Good thing that net metering is base on annually instead on monthly approach.

Comment

• silversaver
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Stomp

http://www.jjhamilton.com/solar/
                  Your solar is almost like a mirror image of mine, they have very similar output before 5 pm. (April 16 result)

Silver Stomp

7am 0.31 0.2
                  8am 0.94 0.71
                  9am 1.97 1.91
                  10am 3.29 3.41
                  11am 4.32 4.44
                  12pm 5.01 5.10
                  1pm 5.35 5.42
                  2pm 5.41 5.44
                  3pm 5.16 5.08
                  4pm 4.54 4.23
                  5pm 3.17 1.76
                  6pm 0.57 0.94
                  7pm 0 0.05

total 40.07 38.68

Stomp's SP225W X 30 @ 6.75kW with SP6000M inverter facing SW 220 deg and Silver's Bosch 255W X 26 @ 6.63kW SMA6000TL-US inverter facing SW 245 deg. Stomp has shading from a palm tree after 5pm and Silver has tree shading after 5:30pm and completed shade from hills after 6pm.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2013

Your solar is almost like a mirror image of mine, they have very similar output before 5 pm. (April 16 result)

Silver Stomp

7am 0.31 0.2
                    8am 0.94 0.71
                    9am 1.97 1.91
                    10am 3.29 3.41
                    11am 4.32 4.44
                    12pm 5.01 5.10
                    1pm 5.35 5.42
                    2pm 5.41 5.44
                    3pm 5.16 5.08
                    4pm 4.54 4.23
                    5pm 3.17 1.76
                    6pm 0.57 0.94
                    7pm 0 0.05

total 40.07 38.68

Stomp's SP225W X 30 @ 6.75kW with SP6000M inverter facing SW 220 deg and Silver's Bosch 255W X 26 @ 6.63kW SMA6000TL-US inverter facing SW 245 deg. Stomp has shading from a palm tree after 5pm and Silver has tree shading after 5:30pm and completed shade from hills after 6pm.
                    Which, I think, tends to support the observation I and others have made that well installed systems of the same size location and orientation will produce about the same output under the same conditions, regardless of manufacturer - Sunpower, Bosch, LG, Solarworld, etc. etc.

Sunpower's good stuff but is very expensive for what you get. Pay your money - take your choice.

Comment

• bcroe
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                      Sunpower's good stuff but is very expensive for what you get. Pay your money - take your choice.
                      I am starting to realize one of its advantages: energy from the sun isn't subject to "market" price swings.

Recently we have had a huge increase in domestic energy production, prices should be dropping.
                      Not to allow that, the "powers" start exporting as much as possible. When we are in the middle
                      of the coldest winter I have ever experienced here, depending on energy, "they" declare a
                      "SHORTAGE" and make huge price increases. Propane from $1.49 to over $5, but fortunately
                      with solar, I didn't have to buy any.
                      Bruce Roe

Comment

• J.P.M.
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by bcroe
                        I am starting to realize one of its advantages: energy from the sun isn't subject to "market" price swings.

Recently we have had a huge increase in domestic energy production, prices should be dropping.
                        Not to allow that, the "powers" start exporting as much as possible. When we are in the middle
                        of the coldest winter I have ever experienced here, depending on energy, "they" declare a
                        "SHORTAGE" and make huge price increases. Propane from $1.49 to over $5, but fortunately
                        with solar, I didn't have to buy any.
                        Bruce Roe
                        Part of the reason for "shortages", contrived or not, may be due to the idea that most conventional sources you mention are fungible quantities and subject to market conditions which may or may not be manipulated (but IMO, almost always have been and will be). Solar tends to be less fungible, but SREC's, bundling of leases, centralized solar power production and other means of making it more malleable will probably make it more fungible - some would call those things attempts to control solar power. There may be some nefarious plot to screw all of us or not. either way, it's just business. If anyone thinks they're being screwed by the system, they always have the option to use less, interact with the system less and in their eyes at least, give the system less opportunity to screw them. Most sheeple complain and do nothing of a productive nature. My apologies to those of us who are not sheeple.

Comment

• russ
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jul 2009

Propane from $1.49 to over $5, Bruce Roe
                          Propane is limited in availability plus has a higher value as a feedstock (normally). It will always be more subject to market conditions.
                          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• bcroe
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                            Part of the reason for "shortages", contrived or not, may be due to the idea that most conventional sources you mention are fungible quantities and subject to market conditions which may or may not be manipulated (but IMO, almost always have been and will be). Solar tends to be less fungible, but SREC's, bundling of leases, centralized solar power production and other means of making it more malleable will probably make it more fungible - some would call those things attempts to control solar power. There may be some nefarious plot to screw all of us or not. either way, it's just business. If anyone thinks they're being screwed by the system, they always have the option to use less, interact with the system less and in their eyes at least, give the system less opportunity to screw them. Most sheeple complain and do nothing of a productive nature. My apologies to those of us who are not sheeple.
                            Yes the indifference of the masses, coupled with greed by those in power, got us here. Its not so
                            easy to just "use less" etc, without going back to tents & caves. Those early people had a hard
                            life, and not a very long & healthy one.

The shortage of propane was claimed caused by a shortage of pipelines, which had been changed
                            (with no alternate plan) over to the natural gas we were desperately exporting to keep prices high.
                            I am not accepting the present "market" or "business" excuses as justified, though they might be
                            legal. There need to be more demanders and fewer sheeple before anything improves; meantime
                            I have stopped buying propane & electricity, I have done a lot of other stuff. Still working on the
                            gasoline problem. Bruce Roe

Comment

• russ
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jul 2009

to the natural gas we were desperately exporting to keep prices high.
                              I am not accepting the present "market" or "business" excuses as justified, though they might be
                              legal. There need to be more demanders and fewer sheeple before anything improves; meantime
                              I have stopped buying propane & electricity, I have done a lot of other stuff. Still working on the
                              gasoline problem. Bruce Roe
                              Come on! It is a world market in a fungible product with many, many players. The US exporting LNG - maybe not importing as much is a better term.

Don't let the conspiracy bug get you!
                              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Ian S
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by russ
                                Come on! It is a world market in a fungible product with many, many players.
                                Exactly! The fuels will go to whomever will pay the most for them. That's the beauty of Keystone: tar sands refined products will get world pricing instead of depressed Midwest pricing.

Comment

Working...