X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jstepy
    • Jun 2013

Newbie Time of Use Question...

Just got our system installed in Southern CA and loving it. Having the dilemma of switching to Time of Use or sticking with the basic Tier Structure.

Trying to calculate the difference in credits I'd receive and while the Domestic Tier Rate is straight forward and easy to calculate I am having a hard time figuring out the corresponding credit I would receive under the TOU rate. I first thought it was calculated daily for a dollar amount but I guess I was a little too anxious and optimistic. Found out it is done at month's end and is some huge calculation. Does anyone have a simple way of figuring this out?

Here are my projected usages for June and it's pretty easy to see with the Tier Plan I'd get approx. $23 credit at the end of the month (-177 x $0.13) I gotta think going to TOU would be beneficial right?

USAGE: 413 (On Peak: 11 Off Peak: 402)
    Solar: -590 (On Peak: -393 Off Peak: -197)
    NET: -177

Throw in the two tier levels for TOU and I am completely lost. My Tier 1 allowance is 367 and the current summer rates for Tier 1: Off .12 On .31 and Tier 2: Off .27 On .47

I know the solar providers have programs to determine this but I am actually trying to understand the "how" this is derived.

Thank you for your time and help.

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

What are your solar harvest hours, and what are your peak use hours. Can you hold off on appliance usage in the evening till 9pm ?
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• jstepy
        • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Mike90250
        What are your solar harvest hours, and what are your peak use hours. Can you hold off on appliance usage in the evening till 9pm ?
        Harvest Hours for me are approx: 8 to 4.

SCE Peak times are 12 pm to 6 pm and we can keep usage to a minimum during those hours. Pool is scheduled to run at night... during the summer months the only hiccup might be the kids turning the pool on in the afternoon but it is a very efficient variable speed pump.

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

Originally posted by jstepy

SCE Peak times are 12 pm to 6 pm ...
          So check your harvest hours from April - Oct, [DST] and make sure you are not cutting yourself short. Planning is the only way you can profit, no plan, you loose.
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Stomp
            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by jstepy

SCE Peak times are 12 pm to 6 pm and we can keep usage to a minimum during those hours. Pool is scheduled to run at night... during the summer months the only hiccup might be the kids turning the pool on in the afternoon but it is a very efficient variable speed pump.
            Correction - 10am to 6pm is peak.

I put together a very basic excel spreadsheet that I have on google docs, but firewalled here at work [edit - a link is in the third post on the first page of this thread]. If you are interested I can try to link to it later (again - very basic). If you can minimize usage during the day, primarily AC during the peak hours over the summer, TOU might make sense. The major annoyance for me with the straight net metering was the large winter bills I had. If not for those I would have likely stayed on net.

2nd Edit: When I was on net metering I was only getting $.05. Are you sure $.13 is accurate? If so that's a huge bump from just a little over a year ago.
            My Sunpower System:
            [URL="https://www.sunpowermonitor.com/residential/kiosk.aspx?id=2B0B7671-2507-4702-AB24-DA5805D4FF86&type=address"]https://www.sunpowermonitor.com/residential/kiosk.aspx?id=2B0B7671-2507-4702-AB24-DA5805D4FF86&type=address[/URL]

Comment

• Stomp
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Stomp
              Correction - 10am to 6pm is peak.
              Well looks like I was wrong and they indeed changed peak from 10-6 to 12-6.
              My Sunpower System:
              [URL="https://www.sunpowermonitor.com/residential/kiosk.aspx?id=2B0B7671-2507-4702-AB24-DA5805D4FF86&type=address"]https://www.sunpowermonitor.com/residential/kiosk.aspx?id=2B0B7671-2507-4702-AB24-DA5805D4FF86&type=address[/URL]

Comment

• kingocat
                • May 2013

Sunrun/Verengo Solar

Hey guys,

I need your input on any concerns that you may have on my possible Solar contract. Verengo solar will install 20 solar panels free of charge with no up front costs whatsoever. I got referred by my neighbor down the street who used the same company. Basically, they guarantee in writing that they will produce 75% of our average monthly electricity usage, that's roughtly about 500 KWH/month. We use between 700-1200 KWH/month. Our monthly bill to Verego Solar will be $128/ month + a small bill from our electric company, SCE, which is roughly about $30-$50/month. So the total bill would flucuate depending on our usage. That being said, our total bill from Verengo and SCE would be about $150/month for about 20 years. Our neighbor told me that after a few years, they started to see there bills dropped considerably. There would be months where we'd probably owe nothing to SCE if we over-produce.

This deal sounds good, and I want to know what the drawbacks would be. Other companies are asking $5k-10k down for a lease.

Any inputs would help.

Thanks
                Ryan

Comment

• Ian S
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by kingocat
                  Hey guys,

I need your input on any concerns that you may have on my possible Solar contract. Verengo solar will install 20 solar panels free of charge with no up front costs whatsoever. I got referred by my neighbor down the street who used the same company. Basically, they guarantee in writing that they will produce 75% of our average monthly electricity usage, that's roughtly about 500 KWH/month. We use between 700-1200 KWH/month. Our monthly bill to Verego Solar will be $128/ month + a small bill from our electric company, SCE, which is roughly about $30-$50/month. So the total bill would flucuate depending on our usage. That being said, our total bill from Verengo and SCE would be about $150/month for about 20 years. Our neighbor told me that after a few years, they started to see there bills dropped considerably. There would be months where we'd probably owe nothing to SCE if we over-produce.

This deal sounds good, and I want to know what the drawbacks would be. Other companies are asking $5k-10k down for a lease.

Any inputs would help.

Thanks
                  Ryan
                  Is there an escalator clause where your payment increases on an annual basis? Have you got firm quotes from others? I'd be surprised if you can't find other companies with zero down leases. SolarCity comes to mind. How much do you figure you'll save annually (lease + new electric bill versus your current electric bill)?

Comment

• akagdis
                    • Aug 2013

Those of you who monitor how much power you generate in SoCal with SCE

I wondered if anybody in the Southern California area who has SCE as their power company has experienced that they consistently under report the power my solar system generates. I know this because I use Sunny webbox by SMA and have been tracking how much power my system generates monthly.
                    When I compare total kWh that my system reports vs. what SCE for a given time period, it always says that I produce much more power vs. what SCE reports. For example my last bill, SCE reported that I consumed 431 kWh and my Net generation was -287 kWh from 6/28/13-7/30/13, so I am responsible to pay for 144 kWh, but my sunny webbox reported that I produced 485 kWh. If I trust my box's numbers minus what they claim I used, that would only be 54 kWh I should be on the hook for.
                    Has anybody else experienced this using a monitoring 'box' and/or software compared to what the energy company reports? I called SCE but of course, they were no help at all! Any thoughts?

Comment

• Ian S
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by akagdis
                      I wondered if anybody in the Southern California area who has SCE as their power company has experienced that they consistently under report the power my solar system generates. I know this because I use Sunny webbox by SMA and have been tracking how much power my system generates monthly.
                      When I compare total kWh that my system reports vs. what SCE for a given time period, it always says that I produce much more power vs. what SCE reports. For example my last bill, SCE reported that I consumed 431 kWh and my Net generation was -287 kWh from 6/28/13-7/30/13, so I am responsible to pay for 144 kWh, but my sunny webbox reported that I produced 485 kWh. If I trust my box's numbers minus what they claim I used, that would only be 54 kWh I should be on the hook for.
                      Has anybody else experienced this using a monitoring 'box' and/or software compared to what the energy company reports? I called SCE but of course, they were no help at all! Any thoughts?
                      You actually did produce 485 kWh but 198 kWh of that went directly into supplying your home needs so it was never seen by SCE. Your Sunny webbox sees all 485 kWh your system produced: the 287 kWh pushed out to the grid (for which you received credit) plus the 198 kWh you used directly. SCE only credits you for what you push back to the grid and only charges you for what you take from the grid.

Comment

• akagdis
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Ian S
                        You actually did produce 485 kWh but 198 kWh of that went directly into supplying your home needs so it was never seen by SCE. Your Sunny webbox sees all 485 kWh your system produced: the 287 kWh pushed out to the grid (for which you received credit) plus the 198 kWh you used directly. SCE only credits you for what you push back to the grid and only charges you for what you take from the grid.
                        so if I understand correctly, my total usage was actually 198+431=629 kWh? I guess that is what I really want to know.

Comment

• Ian S
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by akagdis
                          so if I understand correctly, my total usage was actually 198+431=629 kWh?
                          That is correct. This is probably such a common misunderstanding that I'm surprised the SCE service reps haven't been briefed on how to handle it.

Comment

• kingocat
                            • May 2013

Solar installers

Hey guys,

After reading all the pros and cons to owning and leasing a solar system, I've decided to purchase a system. I think in the long run, it will give me a better ROI than leasing. I live in the Orange County, CA area, and I was curious if anyone nearby can refer me to a good solar company. I guess you'd be able to get a referral incentive if I chose to go your route. Here's what I want know.

1. cost out of pocket before rebates, etc.
                            2. warranty/maintenance coverage-if it doesn't perform efficiently, etc
                            3. Is financing usually available?, I can put about 5k down
                            4. What is your monthly bill before and after solar? Can you actually get up to $200 back from SCE every month?
                            5. Is it true that next year, SCE will not be buying back energy credit at .32c ? more like a fraction of that?

Thank you very much for the help.
                            Ryan

Comment

• HBJoe3
                              • Jul 2013

Originally posted by kingocat
                              Hey guys,

After reading all the pros and cons to owning and leasing a solar system, I've decided to purchase a system. I think in the long run, it will give me a better ROI than leasing. I live in the Orange County, CA area, and I was curious if anyone nearby can refer me to a good solar company. I guess you'd be able to get a referral incentive if I chose to go your route. Here's what I want know.
                              Ryan,

I sent you a PM will the companies I am talking to at the moment.

Comment

• silversaver
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Stomp
                                Thought I'd post and close out my TOU experience for the year - and a small clarification for any potential SCE TOU customers.

I ended the year with a credit of about $190. Going into the winter I had a credit of approx. $450 and whittled away at that during the lower generating winter months. All in all I'm very happy having paid about $12.00 for my electricity for the year (monthly taxes of about $1.00), down from monthly bills that ranged from $250.00 - $350.00 on average.

My only disappointment was that I thought I'd get some benefit, even negligible, for the credit I had generated. However, since I was still a net "user" of electricity (my off peak usage outweighed my on-peak generation) I get exactly $0.00. This wasn't clear to me before, so now I know to kick up the AC a bit more this summer. I have no desire to leave any economic benefit on the table for our friends at SCE.
                                Down to the end, not even 5 cents per Watt? I have a similar size system as yours in OC as well.

Comment

Working...