X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tomt
    • Nov 2011

mobile solar power question

Hey guys and girls,

I am new to solar and need some help. I am a general contractor in colorado springs and have and cargo or box trailer that I would like to install solar power on. The trailer is about 10 ft tall 7 ft wide and 12 ft long. I would like to use golf cart batterys and could cover the whole roof with panels if needed. I have heard that golf cart batterys work better because they have thicker plates than car batterys which means slower draining and faster charging. I would be running dc lights, air commpressor, chop saw and it would be nice to install a small frig if possible. This project could add close to 1000 lbs to the trailer if needed cause I dont haul material much. I would like this to be a homemade project and as cost effective as possible. If anyone could give a idea of the right materials to use and a basic description of proper installation that would be great. As far as the total amount of amps used at any given time I will try to put that together over the next couple of days. Most of these tools will be used intermittently.

Thanks for your help
  • russ
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2009

You really have to determine how much power you need for anyone to comment. Power tools are power hogs - especially when you first push the button.

Take a Kill A Watt meter or similar and measure each tool & fridge - lighting can easily be added up.

It will be quite costly and you will still need the generator as a backup during cloudy/stormy periods.

We have been through these type of trailers before and usually sticker shock ends the discussion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

So, there are a couple ways to do this, you can build this as a "battery only" with a small genset providing charge power, and if that proves effective, you can add some $olar later. To run an air compressor, chop saw, and other large tools, you will need a large pure sine inverter and likely a 48V battery bank.
      Here's a parts list for pricing:
      2000 w auto throttle inverter genset ($1,000)
      XW6048 240VAC inverter/charger (std USA split phase) ($5,000)
      8, L16 6V batteries (400ah, 48V bank) $___
      Wire box [Midnight] $___
      Battery & Inverter Interconnects ($1,000)
      Runs gear all day on a gallon or 2 of gasoline
      When you tire of gasoline, you can as as many PV panels to the roof as you can cram, and
      that will cut the gasoline demand in half. Maybe. And cost you $$$ for the panels (that can buy a lot of gasoline!)

I have much of this, and the inverter runs the compressor, saws, well pump and arc welder flawlessly.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Wy_White_Wolf
        Solar Fanatic
        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by solarpathlights
        I am a new too, keep going, come on.
        We really need more info on your usage (see Russ's post about the Kill-a-watt meter) to go much farther.

Something to look at though
        By Jeffrey Yago, P.E., CEM Issue #108 • November/December, 2007 Many of us like to go camping, but as we age it’s much easier if we have a bathroom, kitchen, refrigerator, microwave oven, television, DVD player, and electric lights! Of course the obvious solution is to buy a 40-foot RV, but this may not fit […]

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Wy_White_Wolf
          We really need more info on your usage (see Russ's post about the Kill-a-watt meter) to go much farther.

Something to look at though
          By Jeffrey Yago, P.E., CEM Issue #108 • November/December, 2007 Many of us like to go camping, but as we age it’s much easier if we have a bathroom, kitchen, refrigerator, microwave oven, television, DVD player, and electric lights! Of course the obvious solution is to buy a 40-foot RV, but this may not fit […]

WWW he is a SPAMMER trying to sell cheap communist solar lights.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

• tomt
            • Nov 2011

holy corona light!

Yeah I was thinking of a scrap yard type of build here. Guess that won't be the case. I will check the kilowatts over the next couple days. Also if i have a bigger battery bank does that mean I can cut back on the amount of solar panels. If I use golf cart 12v batterys they are about 65 lbs a peice I can safely have 10 of those without loading down my trailer to much.

This project isn't something that has to happen over night I've just been wanting to do this for about two years know and have no idea.

Comment

• Naptown
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by tomt
              Yeah I was thinking of a scrap yard type of build here. Guess that won't be the case. I will check the kilowatts over the next couple days. Also if i have a bigger battery bank does that mean I can cut back on the amount of solar panels. If I use golf cart 12v batterys they are about 65 lbs a peice I can safely have 10 of those without loading down my trailer to much.

This project isn't something that has to happen over night I've just been wanting to do this for about two years know and have no idea.
              Actually no you will need a larger solar bank.
              NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

Working...