X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JustMe
    • Sep 2011

About the Charge Controllers...

I am completely new and hoping to do a bit of a science experiment.

When a solar charge controller cuts in and out, does it take a while to reset? Say, If I cover up the panel at noon, and it shuts down the controller, and then uncover the panel... How long will the controller take to start charging batteries again?
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Originally posted by JustMe
    I am completely new and hoping to do a bit of a science experiment.

When a solar charge controller cuts in and out, does it take a while to reset? Say, If I cover up the panel at noon, and it shuts down the controller, and then uncover the panel... How long will the controller take to start charging batteries again?
    As you describe, about 1 second, maybe 2 at the most. If the controller has overheated, it will wait till it cools, and then start up again. If the fuse is blown, never.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• JustMe
      • Sep 2011

Thanks Mike...

: S I've actually got a further question. I know this is not normal treatment, and I may just have to see for myself, but if I cover and uncover the panel quickly, will it chicken out or keep charging?

Eg. Say I have a panel on the trailer on the back of a solar electric bike, and I travel through an extensive area of spotty sunshine. I suppose I'd run that battery down faster than it charges,
      but will this treatment make the charger controller ineffective?

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Your bike burns 300watts 100% of the time. Your 90watt panel (any larger and your bike will be too unstable to ride) produces 60 watts only in full sun, perpendicular, to the sun. In other words, maybe it produces 20 watts. That might at the end of the day , give you another 10 minutes.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• JustMe
          • Sep 2011

Thanks for the information , Mike!

Comment

• russ
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2009

I remember seeing a new stadium in Japan where the entire roof (of a funny shape) was covered with solar PV panels. They were so proud and calculated the output at maximum - bragging about how green they were.

At best only a small fraction were at maximum output at any given time. Many never would be.

The architect got all sorts of praise from the green bunch for doing something stupid.

If they would have placed the panels in an open field they would have generated far more power - but that wouldn't be 'neat'.
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...