• Show
Clear All
  • DtommyD
    • Aug 2011

New guy- overheating? Troubleshooting odd voltages

Off the bat I have
    two 10w mono and poly panels (one of each) wired in parallel
    One 7amp charge controller (eBay $30)
    Three 12v 10a SLA scooter batteries (3 years old)
    I have the panels mounted in mostly full sun from 10am to 6pm
    At night I've been running some led lights and the voltage droops to around 12.4 - 12.5 by dawn
    Most days it's back up to full charge (13.4 cutoff) by noon so 2 hours if that.
    Feeling pretty happy about that today I ran some stuff to use up some battery to see if it could keep up because it seems like a waste. I got it down to 12.8 around 1pm and noticed it wasn't charging very much when the sun is at the peak. The panels are mounted along a fence and have nothing but air below and around them.
    So I don't really know where to start. I covered up the panels and a bit later tried them cool and it was still acting weird. I was taking voltage from the panels and I would see 13v then pop up to 18v then back. Blips of 16 and 18. Should I look at the controller? Should I separate the panels? I'm looking for a step by step of the things I should test. I know full well that I should have better panels, better batteries and a better charge controller but times are tough. If this is what you had to work with, how would you proceed?
    (I do have another charge controller that I bought last summer when this same thing happened. Should I angle them to get the most out of the morning sun? What would you do?
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

I'd take the controller off, and wire PV to the batteries. Monitor with a volt meter, at 14.8V they are fully charged. If they run down too quick, the batteries are shot.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• DtommyD
      • Aug 2011

Ok

Originally posted by Mike90250
      I'd take the controller off, and wire PV to the batteries. Monitor with a volt meter, at 14.8V they are fully charged. If they run down too quick, the batteries are shot.
      So I just looked at the battery and see 2 voltages one for standby and the other for cycle use @ 14.8 like you said. (I didn't notice that before - I only knew the 13.5)
      So just to clairify I'll take out the charge controller but I should take it off the battery at 14.8v right? I am the charge controller. Sorry for the dumb question I'm just trying to measure twice, cut once. I don't want to blow anything up.

Comment

Working...