X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DanS26
    Solar Fanatic
    • Dec 2011

Bruce we have talked about this before.....transmission and distribution costs are FIXED....they do not vary by production. Your production did not save your POCO a single penny.

Comment

• bcroe
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by DanS26
      Bruce we have talked about this before.....transmission and distribution costs are FIXED....they do not vary by production. Your production did not save your POCO a single penny.
      Yes and what I said still stands. Billing for transmission and distribution may
      be fixed, but the actual costs vary some, since IR losses vary with the SQUARE
      of the current. And without doubt saving the PoCo generating and distributing
      2000 kWh does extend (a tiny amount) the time before our Nuke needs refueling.
      But my real point, I am NOT cheating them of transmission costs, as is sometimes
      claimed. Bruce Roe

Comment

• DanS26
        Solar Fanatic
        • Dec 2011

You are not cheating them of transmission costs, but the transmission and distribution costs that you would have paid will now have to be paid by someone else namely the other members of the REMC. There is no free lunch.

Comment

• Mike 134
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2022

Bruce you and I are both in Illinois. Why on earth would a properly run business pay you the distribution cost of the electric you generate? Who repairs your power lines if a tree falls on them? Certainly not going to be you. But like I said I'll take the money and run.

Comment

• bcroe
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Mike 134
            Bruce you and I are both in Illinois. Why on earth would a properly run business pay you the distribution cost of the electric you generate? Who repairs your power lines if a tree falls on them? Certainly not going to be you. But like I said I'll take the money and run.
            I have had plenty of natural event causes of short power interuptions.
            Those are not related to how much power I consume, which has been
            huge, extremely low, or negative over the decades. The repairs are
            paid for by my monthly connection fee, which I still pay.

I collect no money with my plan. I already explained that the distribution
            is being paid for, by those who use the power. Bruce Roe

Comment

• bcroe
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jan 2012

You are not cheating them of transmission costs, but the transmission and distribution costs that you would have paid will now have to be paid by someone else namely the other members of the REMC. There is no free lunch.
              I am not sure if you are agreeing with me. When my neighbors use the
              energy I generate, the PoCo gets paid for that energy and transmission
              that they did not provide. Later though, they supply what they were paid
              for when I use my credits in winter.

Other programs do not work this way. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Mike 134
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jan 2022

Originally posted by bcroe

I have had plenty of natural event causes of short power interuptions.
                Those are not related to how much power I consume, which has been
                huge, extremely low, or negative over the decades. The repairs are
                paid for by my monthly connection fee, which I still pay.

and also, the distribution portion of the bill which to my point we contribute ZERO labor and materials, yet we get paid for it.

Comment

• bcroe
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jan 2012

As I said, there are charges related to amount of energy used,
                  and charges that are not, which I do pay. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Ampster
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jun 2017

I have batteries for load shifting on a daily basis..I need the grid as a battery for seasonal load and production differences. I don't mind paying a reasonable fee for the infrastructure and pricing mechanism that does that.

At another location I pay fixed demand charges for the kW peak that my tenant uses when he charges his EV. Solar offsets the kWhs consumed by that charging. The demand charge is not offset by the credits from export.
                    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• DanS26
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by bcroe

Well therein lays the misunderstanding. If you do not have to pay for any of the distribution FIXED costs for the power you use at night then the unchanging cost has to be absorbed by the remaining REMC members. As more members sign up for the net metering plan you then have more fixed costs to be allocated to a smaller paying group. It is an unvirtuous cycle that CA is now dealing with and will come home to roost for the rest of the net metering world.

Just be happy with your good deal, it may or may not last much longer.

Comment

• Ampster
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jun 2017

......If you do not have to pay for any of the distribution FIXED costs for the power you use at night then the unchanging cost has to be absorbed by the remaining REMC members. As more members sign up for the net metering plan you then have more fixed costs to be allocated to a smaller paying group. It is an unvirtuous cycle that CA is now dealing with and will come home to roost for the rest of the net metering world.

Just be happy with your good deal, it may or may not last much longer.
                        I agree. I use the grid as a seasonal battery so some reasonable fixed cost would be okay with me. Five months into my relevant period I am at a deficit of over 1,000 kWhs. Even at $200 per kWh hour for storage that would require me to make and investment of over $200,000 for storing that amount of power for a few months. As it is, I already have 42 kWh which is enough to get me through some power outages and do peak shaving so I purchase very little energy at peak rates. With current pricing I am able to end the relevant period with a small credit so I only pay Non Bypassable Charges of $230 a year. That is based on My NEM 2.0 agreement. I do try to charge me EVs from excess solar to avoid the NBCs. Most of the NBCs are acumulated during the winter when I actually have to use the grid to charge my batteries because production is reduced by weather an lower sun angles.
                        Last edited by Ampster; 02-27-2024, 01:37 AM.
                        9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• bcroe
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jan 2012

I do not speak for the many other Net Metering plans, only mine. As
                          I said, I pay the fixed connect costs same as before, same as other
                          customers here. This plan works well for me since the time shift
                          between generation and use is half a year, far beyond the capability
                          of batteries. The idea of overnight does not enter into it, for those it
                          does batteries might work. Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...