X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CharlieEscCA
    Solar Fanatic
    • Dec 2016

SDGE Specific Hypothetical Question re NEM 2.0 (vs NEM 3.0)

Insurance renewal is triggering this question in my brain - if one's NEM 2.0 system is destroyed in a wildfire (or any fire), and the house is rebuilt, would a same DC kWh sized system maintain the balance years of NEM 2.0 or would it have to go to NEM 3.0 (starting as year 0)?

I tried to Google an answer, but no success.
    8.6 kWp roof (SE 7600 and 28 panels)
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by CharlieEscCA
    Insurance renewal is triggering this question in my brain - if one's NEM 2.0 system is destroyed in a wildfire (or any fire), and the house is rebuilt, would a same DC kWh sized system maintain the balance years of NEM 2.0 or would it have to go to NEM 3.0 (starting as year 0)?

That's a good question, but I'd suspect the folks on the other end of the line at SDG & E probably won't have an immediate answer either.
    I don't recall seeing a direct point being made with respect to property destruction and what happens to the NEM agreement.
    I'd think w/all the wildfire activity of the last few years someone with a PV system got burned out.
    My guess is the folks at SDG & E will probably come up with something once you ask the question.

Off topic, but it seems like it may not be a good time to be switching insurance carriers just now with all the policy dropping/shenanigans carriers are playing in this area lately.

I saw some pretty heavy smoke close to you a few months back/last spring. How close did it get to you ?

Comment

• Jamessmith.0901
      • Sep 2023

As long as you stick to specific conditions like keeping the same address, same-size system, and not expanding your existing system beyond its original size, you can continue with your NEM 2.0 status. But do take advice from your utility company and professional solar installer.

Comment

• SamirD
        • Oct 2023

My gut here is that it would go to NEM 3.0 as the existing utility account would probably be closed while the construction one is opened. But this would all depend on the local utility company. It will be completely up to them.

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Jamessmith.0901

As long as you stick to specific conditions like keeping the same address, same-size system, and not expanding your existing system beyond its original size, you can continue with your NEM 2.0 status. But do take advice from your utility company and professional solar installer.
          Where Can I find confirmation of the information you've posted ? Or is it opinion only ?

Comment

• Jamessmith.0901
            • Sep 2023

Originally posted by J.P.M.

Where Can I find confirmation of the information you've posted ? Or is it opinion only ?
            It's just based on my understanding of the NEM 2.0 regulations and guidelines. On the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) website. https://www.cpuc.ca.gov/nem2/

Comment

• SamirD
              • Oct 2023

It's just based on my understanding of the NEM 2.0 regulations and guidelines. On the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) website. https://www.cpuc.ca.gov/nem2/
              "Page not found

We’re sorry, but the page you were looking for is no longer here."

Comment

• CharlieEscCA
                Solar Fanatic
                • Dec 2016

That's a good question, but I'd suspect the folks on the other end of the line at SDG & E probably won't have an immediate answer either.
                I don't recall seeing a direct point being made with respect to property destruction and what happens to the NEM agreement.
                I'd think w/all the wildfire activity of the last few years someone with a PV system got burned out.
                My guess is the folks at SDG & E will probably come up with something once you ask the question.

Off topic, but it seems like it may not be a good time to be switching insurance carriers just now with all the policy dropping/shenanigans carriers are playing in this area lately.

I saw some pretty heavy smoke close to you a few months back/last spring. How close did it get to you ?
                The smoke was a structure fire that stayed on the actual property. It was about a mile to maybe one and a half miles as the crow flies.

My insurance company offered renewal at $60 less a year. I did modify coverage (went 1.4M Coverage A [structure] to 1.5M - primarily because the detached structures is limited to 10% with this company), and raised deductible from 5K to 10K because I wouldn't risk filling a small claim. After all changes, thanks to a lot of discounts, $1700 a year for 1.5M with 25% extended coverage. Compared to what I see everyone else posting, my rate is great.
                8.6 kWp roof (SE 7600 and 28 panels)

Comment

• J.P.M.
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2013

The smoke was a structure fire that stayed on the actual property. It was about a mile to maybe one and a half miles as the crow flies.

My insurance company offered renewal at $60 less a year. I did modify coverage (went 1.4M Coverage A [structure] to 1.5M - primarily because the detached structures is limited to 10% with this company), and raised deductible from 5K to 10K because I wouldn't risk filling a small claim. After all changes, thanks to a lot of discounts, $1700 a year for 1.5M with 25% extended coverage. Compared to what I see everyone else posting, my rate is great.
                  Thank you.
                  Glad you kept/have good coverage. My home insurance premium is $2K+/yr. on 3200 ft^2 w/full replacement including earthquake (which is now hard to get written, at least in Hidden Meadows, but the view is great or at least it will be until I slide down the hill in a Richter 6.0 or greater).

I could see your house from my kitchen w/binoculars until a neighbor's palm tree grew a bit and blocked the view.
                  We're fire lookouts for the N.County Fire Safe Council.
                  I called that fire in but didn't know it was a structure.

BTW, today (10/17) is the 10th anniversary of my array's startup. So far, over 10 years it has not missed a beat except for a couple of power outages.

FWIW, and as best as I can estimate, array efficiency and so production has rolled off at ~ 0.0035 - 0.0040/yr. after about a 3% or so production loss due to 1st year burn in.
                  Average production has been 9,021 kWh per year after that, or 1,724 kWh/yr. per installed STC kW.
                  Average annual shade penalty ~ 3% from westerly tree on the golf course.
                  The array gets hosed off ~ 1X/month if it doesn't rain. That seems to keep the fouling loss to ~ 3% or so.

Regards,

J.P.M.

Comment

• SamirD
                    • Oct 2023

Interesting that you're finding earthquake harder to get written--I know the insurance industry is in a tizzy dealing with all the climate related disasters but didn't think it would affect earthquake since it's not like those have had an uptick as well. I'm in the Bay Area so my costs are higher, but my view is nice too.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by SamirD
                      Interesting that you're finding earthquake harder to get written--I know the insurance industry is in a tizzy dealing with all the climate related disasters but didn't think it would affect earthquake since it's not like those have had an uptick as well. I'm in the Bay Area so my costs are higher, but my view is nice too.
                      Talk to the insurance writers about availability. The only reason I still have it is because I've had it as long as I've owned property in CA. Many carriers stopped writing it for new customers some years ago. Most of those that still do bumped the premiums. Some form of earthquake coverage is available vis a state pool.

Comment

• SamirD
                        • Oct 2023

Talk to the insurance writers about availability. The only reason I still have it is because I've had it as long as I've owned property in CA. Many carriers stopped writing it for new customers some years ago. Most of those that still do bumped the premiums. Some form of earthquake coverage is available vis a state pool.
                        I'm typically only working with premium carriers so I can see the more economy carriers dropping it since it doesn't sell. Most people here seem to not have it which is insane to me.

Comment

• sdold
                          • Jun 2014

That link seems to no longer work. Where are you located, are you in California?
                          Last edited by sdold; 10-31-2023, 10:45 AM.

Comment

• Jamessmith.0901
                            • Sep 2023

Originally posted by sdold

That link seems to no longer work. Where are you located, are you in California?
                            Sorry about the broken link, It seems that the CPUC might have removed or moved the NEM 2.0 webpage since the last time I accessed it. However, you may contact the CPUC directly to inquire about the NEM 2.0 guidelines.

Comment

• sdold
                              • Jun 2014

Sorry about the broken link, It seems that the CPUC might have removed or moved the NEM 2.0 webpage since the last time I accessed it. However, you may contact the CPUC directly to inquire about the NEM 2.0 guidelines.
                              Thanks! By the way, where are you located, are you in California?

Comment

Working...