X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reid1boys
    • Dec 2021

Originally posted by Ampster

It is typically a building code issue that requires a connection. That does not mean he has to use that connection. However he probably has to pay the minimum bill and that is possibly going up. If he has existing GT solar he may be able to add batteries with just a building permit and use the grid as back up and seasonal storage. I do that and this winter I was a net cosumer of close to 3 mWhs of power but if weather holds I will bed able to reduce that substantially by TrueUp and have a small credit. Last year I did the same thing and only paid the minimum bills.
    Honestly, I am shocked at how little this stuff is actually being discussed.

Comment

• jflorey2
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Reid1boys
      Well I will never volunteer to any business our income. They are attempting to change the way our society has operated since I was born. That is not going to go over well. IM guessing 90% of the public has no idea about any flat fee being added to your bill based upon income. Once it comes out, THAT is when the people will start screaming.
      Most utilities already have rate programs based on income.

SDG+E has CARE, which is a low-income bill reduction program; you get up to a 30% reduction. FERA is similar with an 18% reduction.
      Honestly, I am shocked at how little this stuff (requiring a utility connection per building codes) is actually being discussed.
      It just plain doesn't affect that many people. Building codes also generally require water and sewer connections, depending on area.

Comment

• Reid1boys
        • Dec 2021

Originally posted by Old_Man

A friend just spent close to a million dollars for a house in the Sierra with a sh** ton of solar on it. It's grid-tied now, but he wants to go off-grid and he has the panels to make it work. Will he REALLY be FORCED to remain on the grid? That's **cked up.

Deleted as I apparently linked to an older article.
        Last edited by Reid1boys; 05-01-2023, 01:20 PM.

Comment

• Ampster
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jun 2017

Honestly, I am shocked at how little this stuff is actually being discussed.
          We take those modern converniences for granted. I grew up in a house with a septic system and I remember watching and smelling it when they came to pump it out every few years. r
          As far as electric bills are concerned I see a lot of comments about electric and gas bills on social media. What I am shocked about is how people do not know how to read their bills. When asked how many kWhs they consume they just reply that they did not change anything even thought we had a colder winter than normal and their consumption went up along with the usual rate increases.
          9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• CharlieEscCA
            Solar Fanatic
            • Dec 2016

While I was away, I was eating popcorn (several days), but not eating popcorn while reading this thread.

I just do not believe in prices being set by income. It's one thing for pricing to be effectively lower on some means based "assistance", but it's another for the price charged to be higher based on income/means.

From my perspective, this has to be fought hard now as this will be just a beginning of a tsunami the equity mob wants to bring.

Support of equal opportunity, 100% yes. Support of equal outcome, 100% no.
            8.6 kWp roof (SE 7600 and 28 panels)

Comment

• jflorey2
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by CharlieEscCA
              I just do not believe in prices being set by income. It's one thing for pricing to be effectively lower on some means based "assistance", but it's another for the price charged to be higher based on income/means.
              Aren't they effectively the same thing? i.e. if you don't qualify for the lower prices you pay more?

Comment

• Ampster
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jun 2017

Originally posted by jflorey2
                Aren't they effectively the same thing? i.e. if you don't qualify for the lower prices you pay more?
                I agree, that system has been in place for a long time. The new proposal seems to be an extension of that. I agree it is a significant extension and one that appears to more directly affect higher income households than the current ones which are implicit in the current rates.

Comment

• CharlieEscCA
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Dec 2016

The end result can be the same. But there's a big difference philosophically between providing assistance to someone (such as the SDGE Care program) and pricing a product / service based on one's income.

If this is allowed to stand, and I'm not sure it won't, then be prepared for your water rates to be set based on your income, groceries, and on and on.

It's just wrong.
                  8.6 kWp roof (SE 7600 and 28 panels)

Comment

• jflorey2
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by CharlieEscCA
                    The end result can be the same. But there's a big difference philosophically between providing assistance to someone (such as the SDGE Care program) and pricing a product / service based on one's income.
                    But they provide that assistance by basing their pricing on one's income.

I agree with you that there are a lot of problems with doing that. But they are doing it.

Comment

• Reid1boys
                      • Dec 2021

IM thinking the battle is just starting.

https://https://pv-magazine-usa.com/...lectric-bills/

Comment

• jflorey2
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2015

IM thinking the battle is just starting.
                        Yep. A lot of people aren't even going to notice until they get the first bill.

Comment

• Reid1boys
                          • Dec 2021

Yep. A lot of people aren't even going to notice until they get the first bill.
                          Yep, and it is a sad state of affairs that the vast majority of people pay zero attention to the world in which they live.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2013

Yep, and it is a sad state of affairs that the vast majority of people pay zero attention to the world in which they live.
                            And with social entropy being at the root of the sloth.
                            If so, then that probably also applies to most readers of this forum.
                            I've tried to remember the old saying: Have the balls to change what you can, the patience to accept what you can't change and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

• PugPower
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Oct 2019

I went solar in San Diego in 2019 on NEM 2.0 and haven't paid a penny to the POCO since. I feel like this proposed plan is a kick in the teeth. I wonder if I will be able to offset the monthly charge with my over-generation, like I currently do with non bypass-able charges under NEM 2.0. Though it would be more difficult with lower kWh rates. Also in regards to the CARE program under SDGE, it is my understanding and experience that SDGE asks the customer to state their income and then may ask the customer to provide verification if necessary. To the best of my knowledge the POCO do not have the ability to check incomes on their own. While on that subject... what is considered a "Household" under their proposed plan? I live with someone, we are not married and do not co-mingle our finances. I own the home and pay all the bills even though my partner works. In my book that is a household of one.
                              Last edited by PugPower; 05-21-2023, 06:32 PM.

Comment

• Ampster
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Jun 2017

Originally posted by PugPower
                                I went solar in San Diego in 2019 on NEM 2.0 and haven't paid a penny to the POCO since. ........
                                I am surprised you don't have a small minimum fixed charge even with NEM 2.0. For sure you will have Non Bypassable Charges which may be reduced at True Up.

Comment

Working...