X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deisel79
    • Mar 2023

New to Solar - Wiring Question

I am very new to solar and am setting up my first system, I have run into a small snag. I have found that that way my panels are wired doesn't appear to be optimal and that most controller combo units require higher volts and very low amps.

Here is what I have:
    16 255w Trina (37.7 Voc 8.92A Isc) wired with four panels in series in four separate strings. These are roof mounted panels and would be difficult to change. Currently all four strings lead into one combiner box in the building.

My solar controller / inverter / charger is an EG4 6500EX-48, it has two MPPT controllers that only can handle 18A per controller. I should be able to pull apart my combiner box and separate it into two boxes with two strings each to come just under the amp rating for each controller but I was curious if I can wire them in series at the combiner without causing any issues? There is currently 10g wire leading from each string and it should be under 30 feet long.

Are there any issues with this I am not thinking of? I would really rather not have to rewire them up top if I can avoid it.

Thanks!
  • bcroe
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2012

Sounds like you should re arrange them into 2 strings of
    8 panels, to meet the voltage an current requirements of
    the inverter. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Deisel79
      • Mar 2023

I agree but was asking if it is safe to do this where the combiner box is rather than pulling everything loose from the roof.

Comment

• bcroe
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2012

My opinion yes, the splice connecting a pair of strings in series
        must be well insulated. Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...