X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GoingElectric
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2022

If you are having roof work done, move the roof vents

I need a new roof, and having 2 vents moved (one will have a low profile exhaust too)
    This will make it easier to place panels (which I am planning on).

For those that do not know, even a small shadow can have a big impact on panel production. Best move, or at least use low profile vents to minimize any shadow.

I did find that a HVAC certified person is needed to move the vents (could apply to few states), which is hassle.

Site preparation is covered under the 30% tax credit, so this is fully deductible, but must be clearly itemized in bill.

It would be good if there was a call to all builders to cluster vents (they can do that), make the roof "solar ready" (actually solar optimized).
  • Calsun
    • Oct 2022

Shading from vent pipes is trivial on most roofs with good panels with multiple bypass diodes so one cell that is shaded does not reduce output for the entire panel. No reason not to life the panel where it is over a vent pipe that serves as a vacuum breaker for sinks and toilets.

Good idea to get an inverter with multiple MPPT charge controllers to have more options with grouping of panels for each string.

Comment

• GoingElectric
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jun 2022

Originally posted by Calsun
      Shading from vent pipes is trivial on most roofs with good panels with multiple bypass diodes so one cell that is shaded does not reduce output for the entire panel. No reason not to life the panel where it is over a vent pipe that serves as a vacuum breaker for sinks and toilets.

Good idea to get an inverter with multiple MPPT charge controllers to have more options with grouping of panels for each string.
      Yes, one can work around the shadow IF you spend the extra effort and expense to get said equipment, if available to begin with.

I omitted to mention one less obstacle for locating an array.

Moving or at least installing a low profile vent is trivial cost while re-roofing, is valid for 30% tax deduction (as mentioned), so will quickly pay for itself over time.
      With few exceptions, not worth only to move a vent.

Comment

• nomadh
        Solar Fanatic
        • Sep 2014

Yes I've seen testing that showed we have been much more worried abut small shadows than we needed. But getting them out of the way sure simplifies a layout.

Comment

• Calsun
          • Oct 2022

Moving a roof vent is not a trivial task and something that I would only trust a roofing company to do the work and patch the hole where the vent was located and flash and seal the new location. This also required access to the attic and changing PVC pipe runs. There are also building codes that specify how far horizontally a vent pipe can be located from the source that needs to be vented.

Much easier to locate the panels where they will not be shaded by a vent. It may take an extra hour to create the best layout but it is a good investment of ones time. Best not to rely entirely on the installer as they can have different priorities. A neighbor had panels installed and they are fully shaded in the late afternoon as a result of where the panels were installed. They could have been placed 20 feet further from the main panel and 20 feet of conduit added but the installer put a higher priority on a "clean" installation with the shortest possible conduit run over the productivity of the array.

Comment

• peakbagger
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jun 2010

My new house I am designing will have a standing seam metal roof. They are somewhat infamous snow slides ripping out vent pipes and chimneys. All the vent pipes and the chimneys will be vented to the ridgepole. Anyone who has done a roof is quite qualfied to move a vent pipe especially if they put ice and water shield on top fo the plywood to begin with.

BTW, the new solar panels will be ground mount. Much easier to change the angle and deal with snow build up and no RSD limitations.

Comment

• GoingElectric
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jun 2022

Moving a roof vent is not a trivial task and something that I would only trust a roofing company to do the work and patch the hole where the vent was located and flash and seal the new location.
              Let me point to the title of this post:

I am getting a new roof, and the roofers are saying it is non-issue for them to move vent while working on roof. One less issue to worry on panel placement.

If no roof work is needed, then generally it is not worth the expense to move vents. Every once in while it is, usually no.

Comment

• Mike 134
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jan 2022

Originally posted by GoingElectric

Let me point to the title of this post:

I am getting a new roof, and the roofers are saying it is non-issue for them to move vent while working on roof. One less issue to worry on panel placement.

If no roof work is needed, then generally it is not worth the expense to move vents. Every once in while it is, usually no.
                Agree the roof vents that vent the attic/crawl space under the roof are easy peasy to move for a roofer, it's the plumbing vent that needs to be done properly by a plumber.

Comment

Working...