X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rgensler
    • Nov 2022

Recommendations for grid-tie ground mount system and solar ready panel

Hi,

We've gone through energy upgrades to our house which included air sealing, insulation, removing the gas appliances, and installing cold-climate heat pumps. The next phase is to install 12Kw grid-tied ground mount solar. I would like recommendations on best practices/equipment.

We need to replace our trailer meter and would like a recommendation on a 200 amp solar ready weather proof pass through load center. I need a couple of breaker slots to feed a subpanel at the pool but otherwise the line would pass through to the main panel in the house.

This will be mounted on a bit of a hill with soil and some rock. Freeze depth is around 36". What is the recommended rack system I should look at?

What is the recommendation on panels, inverter, etc?

Thanks!
  • organic farmer
    Solar Fanatic
    • Dec 2013

When you get quotes from local licensed installers make sure that you include a battery-bank. It is normally an option on all manufactured systems, but the sales staff will usually push for you to ignore that option.
    4400w, Midnite Classic 150 charge-controller.

Comment

• bcroe
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2012

If you will see snow, study the sticky Snow Tolerant PV Mounting
      at the beginning here at Solar Panels for Home.

Cold climate heat pumps have been supplying all HVAC here for
      4 years. Bruce Roe

Comment

• peakbagger
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2010

If you have not done so spend a few bucks and buy the Solar Power Your Home for Dummies

Comment

• sdold
          • Jun 2014

Originally posted by organic farmer
          When you get quotes from local licensed installers make sure that you include a battery-bank. It is normally an option on all manufactured systems, but the sales staff will usually push for you to ignore that option.
          Batteries might be nice to have but aren't required and add to the cost. I can see the wisdom in planning ahead for them in case they will be added later.
          Last edited by sdold; 11-08-2022, 08:18 PM.

Comment

• azdave
            • Oct 2014

Originally posted by sdold
            Batteries might be nice to have but aren't required and add to the cost.
            I agree. No harm in having them quoted but plenty of us have no use for energy storage and the ROI point can take a big leap into the future if you don't really need them.

Dave W. Gilbert AZ
            6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

• SolTex
              • Mar 2022

Originally posted by rgensler
              Hi,
              What is the recommended rack system I should look at?
              We used the IronRidge XR ground mount system to install a 15 kW system behind our house in West TX. I feel it is a good system and pretty simple to install. The company web site has a design tool that allows you to input your desired number of solar panels and see exactly what the whole assembly will look like. Check it out.

Strength meets flexibility. The IronRidge Ground Mount System combines our XR1000 Rails with locally-sourced steel pipes or mechanical tubing, to create a cost-effective structure capable of handling any site or terrain challenge.

Enphase 15kW: (40) LG380N1C, IQ7+, (2) 10T storage

Comment

Working...