X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sappstter
    • Apr 2019

Source for DIY Residential Components?

I've been researching systems and am ready to put my plans together and buy the components. I am looking for a good source to purchase from for a residential grid tie system. I was trying to work with Solar Biz and was able to get a consultation phone call which was great but they have been unresponsive for months. I just need a quote so I can get the components I'm using on my plans to submit for the city...

I'm not in anyway discrediting Solar Biz as I know they have a good history, I think they are just super busy like most companies probably are right now.

Does anyone have a good supplier that is responsive?
  • organic farmer
    Solar Fanatic
    • Dec 2013

I recommend that you contact Sun Electronics of Miami Gardens, FL

New and used solar panels, inverters, charge controllers, complete solar system kits at wholesale prices. We have best prices in solar panels.

I bought from them, and I got a really good deal.
    4400w, Midnite Classic 150 charge-controller.

Comment

• solarix
      Super Moderator
      • Apr 2015

SunElec is a discount outfit that caters to overseas clients mostly. A lot of their product is not UL listed or is seconds. Just be careful.
      Also would recommend Renvu.com
      BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• peakbagger
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2010

Alt E store in Mass have treated me well in the past, they may not be cheapest but usually competitive. Arizona Wind and Sun also have treated me well and their forum is run well. The big caveat is that shipping large objects like racking and panels is expensive and damage prone. Its worth taking a trailer to the companies warehouse to haul things home than trusting LTL trucking. Picking up equipment also filters out the firms that are just buying products from other firms and drop shipping it.

I agree Sun Electric is not newby friendly for most. They do have deals but you need to understand exactly what they are offering. They on occasion have their own Sun brand products which is usually manufacturer overstock and scrap that Sun labels as their own.

Comment

• sappstter
          • Apr 2019

Thank you all for the suggestions and warnings. I'll take a look a these sources.

Comment

• pchiquit
            • Apr 2018

I would try https://projectsolar.com/ . You pick if you want to DIY or have them install it.!

Comment

• foggysail
              Solar Fanatic
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by sappstter
              I've been researching systems and am ready to put my plans together and buy the components. I am looking for a good source to purchase from for a residential grid tie system. I was trying to work with Solar Biz and was able to get a consultation phone call which was great but they have been unresponsive for months. I just need a quote so I can get the components I'm using on my plans to submit for the city...

I'm not in anyway discrediting Solar Biz as I know they have a good history, I think they are just super busy like most companies probably are right now.

Does anyone have a good supplier that is responsive?

Where do you live? Are you allowed to ''do your own grid tie install?'' Where do you intend to install your system..... for example, on a roof....back yard?

I have an outdated bucket of useless credentials such as my old journeyman & master electrician licenses plus an expired construction license but put that aside for now. BAck in March I had the same idea as the one you display, install my own system. I even discussed the situation with both my town's building and electrical inspectors ..............they led me to believe I could get permits. I even chased down a structural engineer who would stamp my drawings........for $500 of course.

Heck, I even had in mind huge panels rated at 450W, not decided if I would go with an AC or DC system at that time. After awhile I saw a system being installed by SunRun nearby and noticed first, geess..........those friggen panels are huge while I watch some young guy grab one, tuck it under his arm and climb a ladder to the 2nd floor's roof where another guy grabbed it. And then I learned those ''huge'' panels were only 350W!!! What if I managed to get halfway up my second floor roof with nobody to take it from me but just maybe a strong wind might? I even tried to hire some of those guys to do my installation, got nowhere.

So I ended up contracting with a local solar company to install 28 400W panels using IQ8A inverters. Had I decided to go ahead anyway on my own, the thing I overlooked was our power company, Eversource here in Massachusetts. Even if the local inspectors would have given me permits, noway would Eversource allowed a grid connection without a licensed electrician doing the work. And no way have I any intentions to revive my old licenses.

My system is installed with a final town inspection (electrical) schedule for this coming Tuesday and then I have to wait for Eversource to make the grid tie. And NO, I do NOT recommend going with leased or PPA panels. Just my humble opinion.

Comment

• Will792
                • Jan 2019

Originally posted by foggysail
                So I ended up contracting with a local solar company to install 28 400W panels using IQ8A inverters. Had I decided to go ahead anyway on my own, the thing I overlooked was our power company, Eversource here in Massachusetts. Even if the local inspectors would have given me permits, noway would Eversource allowed a grid connection without a licensed electrician doing the work. And no way have I any intentions to revive my old licenses.

My system is installed with a final town inspection (electrical) schedule for this coming Tuesday and then I have to wait for Eversource to make the grid tie. And NO, I do NOT recommend going with leased or PPA panels. Just my humble opinion.
                I installed 22.4KW AC system in EverSource territory by myself and did not have a single problem with them. They did send an engineer to witness system commissioning and see me going through my checklist. He only cared about verifying that the system does not produce power for 5 minutes after interruption.

Also did not have much trouble carrying 60 cell panels to the roof, as long as there is no wind. Most 60 cell panels are around 40 lbs , which was doable with a regular ladder.

Comment

• foggysail
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Will792

I installed 22.4KW AC system in EverSource territory by myself and did not have a single problem with them. They did send an engineer to witness system commissioning and see me going through my checklist. He only cared about verifying that the system does not produce power for 5 minutes after interruption.

Also did not have much trouble carrying 60 cell panels to the roof, as long as there is no wind. Most 60 cell panels are around 40 lbs , which was doable with a regular ladder.
                  Good for you! Did your town require a PE stamp? My panels are Canadian CS3N-400MS, 132 cells weighing 49.8#. You may be a lot younger than me but this much for sure, I had zero desire to lug those panels using a ladder onto my 2nd floor roof.

Was your installation in Massachusetts? Somewhere I remember reading that one is limited to 10KW AC being backfed to the grid for NetGrid. Above that limit I believe the solar system is treated as a commercial system with a much lower buy back from the utility. But you most likely know more about that with an almost 23KW system
                  Last edited by foggysail; 10-09-2022, 04:30 PM.

Comment

• Will792
                    • Jan 2019

Good for you! Did your town require a PE stamp? My panels are Canadian CS3N-400MS, 132 cells weighing 49.8#. You may be a lot younger than me but this much for sure, I had zero desire to lug those panels using a ladder onto my 2nd floor roof.

Was your installation in Massachusetts? Somewhere I remember reading that one is limited to 10KW AC being backfed to the grid for NetGrid. Above that limit I believe the solar system is treated as a commercial system with a much lower buy back from the utility. But you most likely know more about that with an almost 23KW system
                    I did have PE letter for structural support that is really easy to get without in-person visit by accredited PE. I think it was around $200 to get. Unirac design software created some other PE approved document for racking calculations for my area wind speed design load.

My installation is in CT, one of the states serviced by EverSource. I have 72 panels with IQ7 microinverters. I did make a mistake in my prior post. Rating of my system is 22.4KW DC, not AC. The rating on AC side is 17.4KW. I could have installed a bigger system. There was no limit by my prior history of electricity consumption. I sized the system by modeling house heating source change from heating oil to heat pumps and using 2 electric cars. I do get net metering with full credit for exported electricity. Sometimes aggregate exported power by 3 PowerWalls and PV system reaches 27KW, 110+ Amps.

My town building department told me that I was the first person who submitted for PV installation permit with self design and installation. The fact that I am EE by education probably helped but since I am not a practicing EE I did not have any relevant certifications, OSHA tests and so on. Overall town building department did not add much friction in the process. Most of the trouble came from state agency that denied my request for variance to 36” clearance space from serviceable electric equipment rule. My house AC compressors were installed in front of electric meter when the house was built and since I was changing electrical system it became a problem. I was somewhat naive in thinking that something that was in place for 40 years can stay as is. After my variance request was denied I had to remove original AC compressors in order to restore my building permit for PV installation. Fortunately I was already planning installation of new heat pumps so it was not a huge deal but it did affect my schedule by 6 weeks.

Comment

• foo1bar
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2014

Where do you live? Are you allowed to ''do your own grid tie install?''
                      Many places (maybe most?) allow you to do your own work on your own home.
                      In CA if you are the owner and are applying for the permit you are an "owner-builder".
                      Other states/locations may have other names for it, but many many locations you can get a permit and do your own work.
                      Some places may have you sign some additional thing so that you know that it's not OK for a "contractor" to have you pull the permit and they do the work. (Apparently some "contractors" will have homeowners get the permit - so they can avoid the requirements to be a legitimate contractor like insurance and such.)

Heck, I even had in mind huge panels rated at 450W,
                      Most residential installations use 60-cell (~1.6m x ~1m) panels. I don't believe those are up to 450W yet.
                      So you were probably looking at 72-cell (~2m x ~1m) panels.
                      I think that'd be unusual for a residential installation. And personally I'd avoid doing something unusual like that for my home.

And then I learned those ''huge'' panels were only 350W!!! What if I managed to get halfway up my second floor roof with nobody to take it from me but just maybe a strong wind might? I even tried to hire some of those guys to do my installation, got nowhere.
                      I think a second person is very useful for getting panels up onto the roof when you get to that point.
                      If you setup scaffolding I think you could get them to the roof single-handed - but it'd be a lot slower than working with a second person.
                      And yes, they are a large enough surface area that I wouldn't want to handle them when there is much wind.
                      Fortunately they're not that heavy - so even someone without a lot of upper body strength can help lift panels up.

Comment

• foo1bar
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2014

I am a happy customer of Renvu.

And I would add Soligent as another option.

Comment

• foggysail
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Will792

I did have PE letter for structural support that is really easy to get without in-person visit by accredited PE. I think it was around $200 to get. Unirac design software created some other PE approved document for racking calculations for my area wind speed design load.

My installation is in CT, one of the states serviced by EverSource. I have 72 panels with IQ7 microinverters. I did make a mistake in my prior post. Rating of my system is 22.4KW DC, not AC. The rating on AC side is 17.4KW. I could have installed a bigger system. There was no limit by my prior history of electricity consumption. I sized the system by modeling house heating source change from heating oil to heat pumps and using 2 electric cars. I do get net metering with full credit for exported electricity. Sometimes aggregate exported power by 3 PowerWalls and PV system reaches 27KW, 110+ Amps.

My town building department told me that I was the first person who submitted for PV installation permit with self design and installation. The fact that I am EE by education probably helped but since I am not a practicing EE I did not have any relevant certifications, OSHA tests and so on. Overall town building department did not add much friction in the process. Most of the trouble came from state agency that denied my request for variance to 36” clearance space from serviceable electric equipment rule. My house AC compressors were installed in front of electric meter when the house was built and since I was changing electrical system it became a problem. I was somewhat naive in thinking that something that was in place for 40 years can stay as is. After my variance request was denied I had to remove original AC compressors in order to restore my building permit for PV installation. Fortunately I was already planning installation of new heat pumps so it was not a huge deal but it did affect my schedule by 6 weeks.
                          Good job Will! I also have a EE from URI and have decades of a mix between circuit design and management. Now sort of retired after making life changes from engineering to some new construction and old building gut and reconstruction. Now enjoy life as a landlord. The heaviest thing I want to pick up now is my receipt book.

Comment

• ukwindowcleaner
                            • Oct 2022

could go direct to china on alibaba

Comment

• ukwindowcleaner
                              • Oct 2022

try alibaba, straight from the source most solar panels are made in china. so makes sense to go there. i got a couple couriered over, shipping wasnt too bad also
                              Last edited by ukwindowcleaner; 10-21-2022, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Working...