X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damaged panel

Hello all, I joined a while ago, but this is my first post in the main forum.
    I have an installation that's been running well for the last seven years or so, but one of the panels was recently damaged when the TV aerial came down in high winds. The system is using Benq Sunforte 330W panels, which have 96 cells. The panel is no longer made so I can't swap it out like for like, and I haven't found any second hand one for sale. A replacement panel will look odd, but I can live with that.

The main problem is that I can't find another panel with the same open circuit voltage as the 96 cell panels (around 60V), as everything available now looks to be 40V. Each panel in the system has a SolarEdge optimiser fitted, which I understand prevent the output of the whole chain being reduced when one or more panels is in shade.

Will the optimisers allow me to fit a panel with a lower VOC, or would it just not be compatible? Is there a 60V VOC panel available that I haven't found yet? Thanks.

Just do the best you can matching the physical size of the old panel and figure on getting one with more watts than the old one. The optimizer will take care of any mismatch..
    BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

Look for any 96 cell panel. Also , see Sunpower 327 STC W panel. You also might find some used 300 W - 330 W or so Sunpower's floating around with open circuit voltage ~ 60 V or so. Just be sure that a used S.P. panel will work with a micro.
      Benq Sunforte dimensions and other specs are identical to S.P. specs & dimensions.

Comment

Thanks for the info, I'll have a look for the Sunpower panel, but good to know I can fit on with a lower VOC if needed. There seems to be more choice in the States than the UK.

I originally made the claim on the house insurance, but they seem to know even less than I do about it, so would have just sent a general builder who would hopefully know an electrician who knew a bloke etc etc. It didn't sound promising, so I thought I'd better look into it myself. There doesn't seem to be anyone in the UK that does repair, rather than installation, of of panel installs. Got to be a business opportunity there!

I'll let you know how I get on.

Comment

Working...
        X