X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GtHufton
    • Sep 2022

Generac PWRcell Issues?

I want to know if others are having similar problems with their PWRcell systems? Ours went live in Mar 2020, and worked perfectly till Mar 2022. Then the PVRSS sub-system started turning off the roof-top panels, almost randomly. This has been going on for > 6 months, with extended periods of 1/3 to 2/3 of the panels off-line. We were originally told the SNAP units were faulty and needed to be replaced with a new revision. All 3 have now been replaced, then we got a S/W upgrade, and then finally some fine tuning of various internal parameters. After all this, the number of PVRSS lock-out errors has been reduced, but the system still trips off-line.

From our frustrated local installer, this appears to be a common problem in our area. The question is how wide-spread is the problem across the nation? FYI, to date, Generac has been less then helpful.
  • oregon_phil
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2019

In today's news:

PowerHome Solar slashes half its workforce, discontinues NC installations in wake of Generac failures

A quote from the article:

"Problems were found in Generac's PWRCell system, which PowerHome had agreed to market with its solar-panel installations to make for a complete package with power management and battery storage. At issue was the "photovoltaic rapid shutdown system." That is a safety feature required in solar installations to allow emergency workers to reduce or completely shut off the output from the system to reduce the chance of injury. One of the components in that system was burning out and caused system failures, creating a hazard."

PowerHome eventually learned of failures experienced in the Generac systems by other installers. After the Kentucky fire, PowerHome says, Generac released a component upgrade to resolve the problem. But PowerHome says that fix led to new problems in which parts of the solar systems were being shut down without notice.

That reduced, and in some cases completely curtailed, output for some customer installations, leading to a significant increase in complaints to PowerHome.

Comment

• peakbagger
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jun 2010

Generac is claiming Pink Solar (PowerHome) is covering poor installation practices by blaming it on Generac. Pink Solar reportedly has issues with high pressure sales tactics. Definitely more to come.

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by peakbagger
        Generac is claiming Pink Solar (PowerHome) is covering poor installation practices by blaming it on Generac. Pink Solar reportedly has issues with high pressure sales tactics. Definitely more to come.
        A real finger pointing cluster function. Caveat Emptor.

Comment

• peakbagger
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jun 2010

I wonder if the OP is "happy" Pink Solar customer?

Comment

• thelongestp4nts
            • Jul 2022

I've had issues both with fixing a very bad install of Generac solar+battery, then also having weird opaque issues that were fixed with the tech support tweaking things remotely. I don't know what to tell you, but I get a bad feeling whenever I get calls to fix other people's Generac systems right now

Comment

• peakbagger
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jun 2010

BTW Pink Solar is now closed and declared Bankruptcy. Lots of unhappy customers in the Carolinas

Comment

• foggysail
                Solar Fanatic
                • Sep 2012

Has anyone put together a ''fix'' that might get homeowner panels working for a minimum cost? I am not at all familiar with Pink's approach other than what I read about the SNAP modules causing the headaches. But panels are panels and they all work basically the same way. Could Optimizers replace the SNAPs allowing people to get their systems functioning? What a shame this has come to.

Comment

Working...