X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zolarhill
    • Nov 2021

Small 2.4 kw system

Im interested in setting solar up at the town house and got a quote for just under 14,000.
    system consists of 6 400 watt REC Pure Black panels, 6 enpha IQ8A micro inverters, enphase combiner, and installation and hookup. Seems a lil pricey for such a small system, but it is California.
    next up is it even worth it, we use around 8kwh average a day. Doesn't fluctuate throughout the year much.
    installing the system will raise our "electrical" bill about $10 in the short term, but there are plans to add other electric appliances to the house, hot water heater, heat pump, garage.
    my gut says it will be beneficial long term, but short term is not worthwhile.
    and add another 10k for a 3kw battery... not doing that.

Just wanted to get a little feed back from people with much more experience than myself, thanks.
  • azdave
    • Oct 2014

Seems quite high but we don't know the specifics. You don't say if this is a cash purchase or financed. I myself would invest $14K in something else besides solar. Too many people get into solar with 8-12 year ROI's and then move 5 years later thus taking a loss. Don't be that person.
    Dave W. Gilbert AZ
    6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

I'm with Azdave on price. Until we get more details it's hard to offer an opinion, but at $5.83/STC W, regardless of the particulars, it's not only high, but most likely prohibitively high in price. .

Comment

• Zolarhill
        • Nov 2021

Thanks, it's a financed price. Going the cash route drops it about 3,000.
        what other details can I give you folks?
        Last 12 months we've used a touch over 2,500 kwh the system would offer around 3200 kwh yearly through PVwatts and the installer... at least there numbers match.
        I can't tell you what we could be putting in for appliances yet, still a few years out. that being said we don't plan on moving anytime soon, ideally retirement, 20+ years from now.

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Zolarhill
          Thanks, it's a financed price. Going the cash route drops it about 3,000.
          what other details can I give you folks?
          Last 12 months we've used a touch over 2,500 kwh the system would offer around 3200 kwh yearly through PVwatts and the installer... at least there numbers match.
          I can't tell you what we could be putting in for appliances yet, still a few years out. that being said we don't plan on moving anytime soon, ideally retirement, 20+ years from now.
          A copy of what you asked for, a copy of the quote back from the vendor and maybe a picture or two of where the equipment will be located would be nice.

Comment

• silversaver
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2013

I believe all new solar owner are force into TOU plan. Your solar annual production 3200kWh might or might not cover 100% of your usage of 2500kWh (depend on time of use) Your are probably paying about $800 per year on electricity. It will take you over 10 years if paying cash.

Why only 6 panels? limit roof space? I always believe solar is great for home owner. If you are plan on living in the same house for long, you might want to put a bigger system if allow. Your electricity demand will go higher in next 10-20 years for sure. For example, gasoline vehicle will be replace with EV/Hybrid before 2035. If you only need the solar for your home electricity usage, the ROI will be 12+ years. If you include the usage of EV/Hybrid into equation, then it will making more sense to do it.

Comment

• Zolarhill
              • Nov 2021

Been trying to figure out how to get a copy of the quote on here... to no avail. But here's a copy of most of it.
              "Your current yearly usage (previous 12 months) was 2,505 kWh. The system production is modeled at 3,254 kWh in year one, or about 130% of your current usage. This is just about the smallest system I would recommend installing. But if you want me to quote this with 5 panels (2.0kW) I can.

This system is comprised of:
              -6@REC 400Watt Alpha Pure Black panels (25 year product, and labor warranty, as well as 92% production guarantee at year 25)
              -6@Enphase iQ8A microinverters (25 year product warranty)
              -Enphase combiner
              -IronRidge black racking
              -Balance of materials for code compliant system
              Design, permitting, install, inspection, and PGE net energy metering and fees are also included in this quote"

I'm planning for the future, honestly forgot about the electric cars and yard equipment. There room for about 6kwh on the structure and maybe another 6kwh on the house if needed. I just don't see the need to buy more panels than I need currently, should be easy to add panels in the future I'm told.

Comment

Working...