X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going solar with 8.0kW system

Finally took the plunge with going solar. We are both excited and nervous at the same time because of the horror stories we heard from other people dealing with installations that went wrong.

This is what we're getting installed:
    20 x REC400AA
    20 x Enphase IQ8M
    1 x Enphase IQ Combiner 4C
    IronRidge mounting system

Total cost: $21.2k

It will be grid tied and no battery. Contract signed and site survey scheduled for next week. I requested to have all the panels mounted on one side of the roof that is SE facing. Hopefully, there's enough room for them to mount all 20 panels on that side of the roof.

Looks good at about $2.65/watt for the system. Let us know how those IQ8 inverters work for you.

Comment

Originally posted by kevint8 View Post
      Finally took the plunge with going solar. We are both excited and nervous at the same time because of the horror stories we heard from other people dealing with installations that went wrong.

This is what we're getting installed:
      20 x REC400AA
      20 x Enphase IQ8M
      1 x Enphase IQ Combiner 4C
      IronRidge mounting system

Total cost: $21.2k

It will be grid tied and no battery. Contract signed and site survey scheduled for next week. I requested to have all the panels mounted on one side of the roof that is SE facing. Hopefully, there's enough room for them to mount all 20 panels on that side of the roof.
      Disclaimer: I have a string inverter system.

I am not opposed to Enphase but want to make sure you understand some of the details. I would suggest you go to the Enphase website, download their warranty and read it.

Questions to ask your potential installer and/or yourself:

1) Why IQ8 instead of IQ7? Do you plan to use a battery in the future?

2) Do you want to use the sunlight backup mode now or in the future? If yes, then you don't have all the necessary equipment. Google "System use cases for IQ8 Microinverters" and read the Enphase document for different uses. Your quote is for solar only. No future battery or microgrid capability.

3) Enphase IQ combiner 4C limited warranty is only for 5 years. It's an AC combiner box.... with communication equipment to the microinverters and the internet. Which part is going to fail? Why 5 years vs 25 years for microinverters?

4) Enphase requires internet connection to the cloud at all times. Your data goes from your solar system, up to the cloud then back down to your phone. Are you OK with that?

Comment

Where in CA are you? Which utility are you feeling with?

Comment

Originally posted by oregon_phil View Post

Disclaimer: I have a string inverter system.

I am not opposed to Enphase but want to make sure you understand some of the details. I would suggest you go to the Enphase website, download their warranty and read it.

Questions to ask your potential installer and/or yourself:

1) Why IQ8 instead of IQ7? Do you plan to use a battery in the future?

2) Do you want to use the sunlight backup mode now or in the future? If yes, then you don't have all the necessary equipment. Google "System use cases for IQ8 Microinverters" and read the Enphase document for different uses. Your quote is for solar only. No future battery or microgrid capability.

3) Enphase IQ combiner 4C limited warranty is only for 5 years. It's an AC combiner box.... with communication equipment to the microinverters and the internet. Which part is going to fail? Why 5 years vs 25 years for microinverters?

4) Enphase requires internet connection to the cloud at all times. Your data goes from your solar system, up to the cloud then back down to your phone. Are you OK with that?
          1) We don't plan to have battery in the future. Installer don't have IQ7 in stock, so there could be a delay to have our system installed.

2) Yes, I am aware we would need the Enphase Smart Switch to use the sunlight backup feature.

3) That's a good question about 5 years vs 25 years for combiner box and microinverters. Will have to ask the installer for further insight, thanks.

4) Yes, we are aware of where the data will go and mostly fine with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kev View Post
            Where in CA are you? Which utility are you feeling with?
            I am in SoCal, Riverside county to be specific. We have SCE.

Comment

The part of the combiner that could break is the communications module. Very unlikely the bus bar or breakers will fail. My understanding is the microinverters will still work without the communications module. I have not tried to turn off the communications module to see if I still get power from my four microinverters. I used Eaton BR breakers from a local big box store for way less than buying the same breakers with the Enphase part number.

Data going to the cloud seems to be the norm these days. Both my Enphase and Solaredge inverters send data to the cloud.

Comment

Working...
              X