X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rlasker3
    • Jun 2022

Sunrun from Costco

I am a new home owner and I have been wanting to have solar installed for many years and now finally have a chance to make it happen. I recently ran into a sales person from Sunrun at my local Costco. I set up a fee consultation for this week. I do not want to lease so would be looking for a purchase option but I was hoping to see some opinions on Sunrun as a company. Has anyone purchased or know of someone who has purchased a system from them?
  • organic farmer
    Solar Fanatic
    • Dec 2013

Something regional I think.

4400w, Midnite Classic 150 charge-controller.

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by rlasker3
      I am a new home owner and I have been wanting to have solar installed for many years and now finally have a chance to make it happen. I recently ran into a sales person from Sunrun at my local Costco. I set up a fee consultation for this week. I do not want to lease so would be looking for a purchase option but I was hoping to see some opinions on Sunrun as a company. Has anyone purchased or know of someone who has purchased a system from them?
      Being the guy in my HOA that reviews, recommends to at Arch. Review Committee and then monitors installation of all the PV in my HOA - ~ 150+ total installs so far - I know more than a few homeowners who have used Sunrun, all PPA's. From what I think I know about PV and my dealings with Sunrun and knowing the way they've treated me when I tried to get any cooperation much less information from them, and like the other big, national outfits, I wouldn't let them give me a system and wouldn't let them on my property. But that's just my opinion based on my experiences with them.

My strong opinion is you can do much better from a quality of install, customer service, honesty, and price standpoints if you stay with local electrical contractors who have been around longer than PV. The big, national (and to some extent the regional) outfits are not something I'd consider if I was currently looking for PV.

Do yourself a big favor. Even if you're sensibilities are offended by my political incorrectness, get self educated before you spend dime one. You'll get screwed less and if you do decide that PV is in your future, you'll wind up with a more fit for purpose system and spend less money than if you let some con men B.S. you.

Start with a read of "Solar Power Your Home for Dummies". It's a bit dated but a good primer for folks such as yourself. It's also a free PDF download for no more than the effort of looking. Then come back here and ask questions to fill in the knowledge gaps your newly, self-gained knowledge generates.

Next, define your goals, including how much of your bill you want to offset. Among those goals is usually paying the least $$ amount over the long term to meet a home's electrical demand. Here's how that works: The most cost effective system is the one that uses the sweet spot mix of PV and POCO supplied power. That may be 100% PV but maybe not, and it may come out that not getting PV is more long term cost effective than getting PV. OR, there may be other places to put the $$ that will leave yoy better off financially in tge long run. Too large a system will have you paying more for power in the long run than having no PV system at all.

Learn what your POCO (POwer COmpany) does about net metering - in anything. If no net metering tariff, it'll be tough to find a cost effective alternate energy system.

Besides net metering, learn about your POCO's rate structures and which rates may be most beneficial to your situation. If done correctly, that task may be your biggest PITA, usually because the POCO's are not very forthcoming with information and never make it easy to understand what they do provide.

Spend more time interviewing vendors than you have so far. Beyond some basic level of quality, PV equipment is largely a commodity. That usually means a good install comes down to the quality of the vendor and that vendor's experience and integrity. You'll find neither of those qualities in the revolving door employment policies of the big national outfits. With your education in hand, ask vendors questions you already know the answers to. Start the interview that way and you'll learn more about what a vendor does(n't) know and/or some of how much B.S. is there.

Buy, don't lease or PPA. For the most part those schemes are perpetrated on the short sighted. Think long term and most bank for the buck, not least first cost. When dealing in capital goods, chasing a low first cost is the errand of fools.

If you're considering a roof mount as is common, get your roof inspected and serviced. Well installed PV can last a long time. Give your roof the highest probability of having it sound and leak resistant for at least as long as the PV. Chasing leaks on a roof is never fun. Finding a leak under an array is nigh onto impossible.

Take what you want of the above. scrap the rest.

Welcome to the neighborhood and the forum of few(er) illusions.

Comment

• rlasker3
        • Jun 2022

Originally posted by J.P.M.

Welcome to the neighborhood and the forum of few(er) illusions.
        Thank you very much for that response. I agree 100% with your sensibilities. I have already gotten a quote from a local solar installer and once I got over the sticker shock, I realized that I needed to spend a lot of time learning about solar. I have spent a lot of time on sites like unbound solar and others, as well as energy.gov, watched numerous YouTube videos and purchased two books: DIY Solar Power for Beginners and Solar Electricity Handbook 2021 Edition. I will look at your "dummies" recommendation. If they offer a free download, then it can never hurt to have more information.

Talking to Sunrun was my first opportunity to get a contrasting quote but being a novice, I do not know much about a company's overall credibility. In almost any category there always tends to be serious forums like this that have people with a lot more experience than me, so I always seek them out for guidance as I am learning. I hope to spend a lot of time here as having solar is very important to me for many reasons but so far it is looking financially tough to afford and technically difficult to DIY. Patience will be key.

Comment

• rlasker3
          • Jun 2022

Originally posted by J.P.M.

I wouldn't let them give me a system and wouldn't let them on my property.
          Are you saying I should cancel a complimentary quote? Even if I do not plan on using them, I thought it would be good to at least see what they offer so I can compare it to the other quote I got (10.8 kW for $43k installed).

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

Are you saying I should cancel a complimentary quote? Even if I do not plan on using them, I thought it would be good to at least see what they offer so I can compare it to the other quote I got (10.8 kW for $43k installed).
            When you asked if anyone used Sunrun or know of someone who had, I assumed you wanted an opinion about Sunrun.
            I gave that opinion and explained a bit of why I have it based on my dealings with them and trying to help those who used them.
            My apologies if I was mistaken in your purposes.

As for canceling your appointment, NOMB. You do as you think best. Free country and all that.

However, and reinforcing some of what I wrote, I believe a lot of people get screwed by their own ignorance and those folks get screwed more by the big national outfits.

Given what you don't know, I'd suggest you might get more out of talking to any vendors after you get yourself informed.
            Based on my dealings with Sunrun, I doubt the wisdom of talking to them before you have the information and PV education to more easily see through the B.S. they and a lot of other peddlers throw.

I'd respectfully suggest keeping in mind that PV vendors are in business to make money by putting PV systems on people's property, not reducing the cost of providing electrical service to their marks or providing the safest, most cost effective and most fit for purpose products.

At least reread my initial post, get a plan, get informed and do your own preliminary design/sizing with PVWatts before you talk to other vendors.

Take what you want of the above. Scrap the rest.

Comment

• Mike 134
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jan 2022

I used to get free weekend stays for listening to high sales pitches to buy a timeshare. If you are strong willed to say no even when he/she/they make you feel like YOU have taken advantage of their kindness then by all means at least listen to his sales pitch then shoe him out the door.

Comment

• Mike 134
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jan 2022

Thank you very much for that response. I agree 100% with your sensibilities. I have already gotten a quote from a local solar installer and once I got over the sticker shock, I realized that I needed to spend a lot of time learning about solar. I have spent a lot of time on sites like unbound solar and others, as well as energy.gov, watched numerous YouTube videos and purchased two books: DIY Solar Power for Beginners and Solar Electricity Handbook 2021 Edition. I will look at your "dummies" recommendation. If they offer a free download, then it can never hurt to have more information.

Talking to Sunrun was my first opportunity to get a contrasting quote but being a novice, I do not know much about a company's overall credibility. In almost any category there always tends to be serious forums like this that have people with a lot more experience than me, so I always seek them out for guidance as I am learning. I hope to spend a lot of time here as having solar is very important to me for many reasons but so far it is looking financially tough to afford and technically difficult to DIY. Patience will be key.
                I have a total of ONE solar install under my belt, my own. 38 years as an electrician. Putting solar on the roof requires the skill level of a first-year apprentice on his first week on the job if he's mechanically inclined. Toughest part of the roof work is to not fall off the roof. That said if you are not very handy, struggle with simple repairs about the house then perhaps you should sub the work out.

The most difficult part for me was the hoops of paperwork you need to jump through, utility approval of the equipment, fire dept review, then finally building dept review.

Don't let anyone tell you it's a "very technical" type of work heck even carpenters have started a training program to install solar.

Comment

• solarix
                  Super Moderator
                  • Apr 2015

Sunrun is pretty much bottom of the barrel in terms of installation quality in my opinion. Use SolarReviews.com to find a local, quality installer...
                  BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• RichardCullip
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Oct 2019

Listen to his sales pitch if you want but remember Nancy Reagan's admonition to "Just say no"

Comment

• rlasker3
                      • Jun 2022

Originally posted by Mike 134

I have a total of ONE solar install under my belt, my own. 38 years as an electrician. Putting solar on the roof requires the skill level of a first-year apprentice on his first week on the job if he's mechanically inclined. Toughest part of the roof work is to not fall off the roof. That said if you are not very handy, struggle with simple repairs about the house then perhaps you should sub the work out.

The most difficult part for me was the hoops of paperwork you need to jump through, utility approval of the equipment, fire dept review, then finally building dept review.

Don't let anyone tell you it's a "very technical" type of work heck even carpenters have started a training program to install solar.
                      I have no problems with the idea of learning to install the solar panels I think where I have a lot more hesitation is hooking that up as a grid tied system. I do not have a lot of electrical experience so that is where I feel I need the most information to make sure I am being safe.

Comment

• Kev
                        • Jul 2015

I recently got 12 quotes from 10 different solar companies and SunRun was amongst them. Here in So. California the SunRun quote was by far the most expensive. As far as getting the initial qute, the salesman was not overbearing and simply gave me the quote. I said 'Thank you' and that once I got all of my quotes that I would make a decision. I do not know anyone personally who has a SunRun system, but I have read that some in our community have. Some are satisfied, some not so much.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2013

Thank you very much for that response.
                          You're most welcome. If you like our service, tell your friends.

I'd only suggest you question everything everyone says or writes here or elsewhere (maybe even or especially my mental spoor) until it makes sense to you or you decide it's B.S.
                          The world is full of well-intentioned folks who know only enough to be dangerous. Some of them hang out on forums like this.
                          Everything here and on other forums/formats is, for the most part unvetted and not seriously reviewed. We do what we can but no promises.

Comment

• 4sallypat
                            • Jun 2022

SunRun is not recommended IMO.

I am purchasing an EV truck (Ford Lightning) and the SunRun sales reps are clueless, high pressure solar + battery salespeople pushing for max $$$$ + PPA.

SunRun is the "preferred" installer for the Ford EV charger, solar, batteries, etc which was a mistake Ford made.

Have not been able to get them to price the EV install and details on solar panels because they are so wrapped up making a sale and getting their commission.

I have learned on this forum that I am going to look for panels to offset my electricity bill, high efficiency panels, long warranty, and low degradation.

Comment

• kevint8
                              • Jun 2022

You didn't mention what state you're in but here in California you can access the PV installation data. This data is available for anyone to download and contains a myriad of information on each PV installation. We use the information to determine how many completed projects each installer has done in our area, how quickly they get the system to PTO after install, and the cost of similar sized system.

Comment

Working...