Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SCE contractor confusion - only 8 panels would fit but neighbor has 26 LG panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kev View Post
    You also may have to use smaller panels. What size are quoted panels?
    What city are you in?
    Most panels in use are pretty close to the same size, approx. 1.6 m^2, or ~ 1m X 1.6 m or so.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

See my 06/24/2022, 0730 hrs. post.
      Yes i saw that earlier post and thank you but dismissed it since my next door neighbor got his 26 panels installed about 6 months ago.

This SCE contractor is obvious to me that they are using outdated code.

My neighbor said his installer (SunLux) had installed 26 LG panels at 0.9% for 20 years which was a great deal IMO.

Now LG is no longer being sold ? And the rising rates makes it tough to finance it..

I am going to ask my neighbor's installer what they have.

Any feedback on SunLux ?

Comment

Originally posted by 4sallypat View Post

Any feedback on SunLux ?
        No, but I would start with asking you neighbor about them. You do need to find several others instead of your "SCE Contractor". Just speculating, but maybe SCE likes him because he puts minimum system which means less revenue hit for SCE.
        Last edited by Ampster; 06-26-2022, 04:43 PM.
        9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Mike 134 View Post
          Those are 3 foot setbacks so fireman have a pathway to ventilate your roof should you have a fire.
          If your Rural you don't have that worry by the time the volunteer fire dept gets there they will be able to save the foundation, roof will be long gone.
          Ah, I get it and understand the reasoning for the 3' setbacks.

I do wonder if contractors are in tune and up to date with changes in building code.....

Comment

I do wonder if contractors are in tune and up to date with changes in building code.....
            Don't wonder. They do know. If they plead ignorance, you don't want to deal with them. They're B.S.'ing you or so uniformed as to be dangerous.

Comment

My neighbor next door has the same house (3 story HOA) and has 26 LG panels.

So why the difference?
              In addition to possibly being built under different rules, you may have skylights, plumbing vents, heating vents/chimneys, bathroom vent pipes, etc. in different locations that make it more difficult to fit panels on the roof.

And it looks like they aren't trying very hard to fit more panels on the roof anyhow.

Looking at the diagram I am *guessing* that you have some skylights - the one on the south-west facing roof being right in between the two pairs of panels, probably making it so you can fit only 4 there instead of 6.

When I did my installation, I talked to the fire department to get permission for where I wanted my panels to be - it didn't meet the 3' setback everywhere *(or even the 18" setback that there is now) - BUT it was still enough space at the ridges for cutting vents in case of a fire, and paths to get up onto the roof.

So I would talk to your fire department and building permit office - see what the requirements really are.

And I'd look at what you have for things coming through the roof - sometimes you can re-route things like plumbing vents in the attic without too much problem and fit more panels on the roof.

Also I'd contact your neighbor's installer. (And if it was some big company that subcontracts installation to smaller local companies, I'd talk to the smaller local company first (maybe only them and not the big national chain if that's what it was))

Comment

I talked to the local fire chief about solar panels on the roof of my detached garage. He said they don't vent detached garages so I could put the panels edge to edge which is what I did.

Comment

Originally posted by foo1bar View Post

In addition to possibly being built under different rules, you may have skylights, plumbing vents, heating vents/chimneys, bathroom vent pipes, etc. in different locations that make it more difficult to fit panels on the roof.

And it looks like they aren't trying very hard to fit more panels on the roof anyhow.

Looking at the diagram I am *guessing* that you have some skylights - the one on the south-west facing roof being right in between the two pairs of panels, probably making it so you can fit only 4 there instead of 6.

When I did my installation, I talked to the fire department to get permission for where I wanted my panels to be - it didn't meet the 3' setback everywhere *(or even the 18" setback that there is now) - BUT it was still enough space at the ridges for cutting vents in case of a fire, and paths to get up onto the roof.

So I would talk to your fire department and building permit office - see what the requirements really are.

And I'd look at what you have for things coming through the roof - sometimes you can re-route things like plumbing vents in the attic without too much problem and fit more panels on the roof.

Also I'd contact your neighbor's installer. (And if it was some big company that subcontracts installation to smaller local companies, I'd talk to the smaller local company first (maybe only them and not the big national chain if that's what it was))
                  Yes, thank you for your time analyzing my roof.

I have an appointment with the neighbor's installer to see what they can do.

Will let you know what #2 installer says.

Comment

Working...
                  X