X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SunShine123
    • Jun 2022

Inverter Keeps Rebooting

I recently installed a SolarEdge inverter, load side. Over the past week, we've noticed the inverter rebooting as if it's detected a power loss or major voltage drop. We've also noticed one of our computer UPS' clicks over to battery mode at the same time. PowerChute reports the UPS as having a 'blackout'; though power isn't lost in the house. It appears random, and isn't tied to any major load (A/C, Freezers, Sump pump, etc) firing at the same time. It appears random, thus far.

I'm suspecting voltage issues or other something else is going on, causing our inverter and UPS to trip off. Other devices seem unaffected, lights don't dim/flicker, etc. A/C fires up fine and draws power without issue or tripping these devices.

Before I poke the power company over it, any thoughts or ideas on how to collect additional evidence?
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Yea - poke SolarEdge and see what they have to say. Maybe the two can get into a finger pointing contest. Just be careful they both don't pull a tag team and point both (middle) fingers at you.

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

I once had a feeder line from the pole to the meter, going bad that caused same sort of thing. PoCo did nothing till the line fell down.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Ampster
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2017

Originally posted by SunShine123
        I recently installed a SolarEdge inverter, load side. Over the past week, we've noticed the inverter rebooting as if it's detected a power loss or major voltage drop. ...........
        I'm suspecting voltage issues or other something else is going on, causing our inverter and UPS to trip off. Other devices seem unaffected, lights don't dim/flicker, etc. A/C fires up fine and draws power without issue or tripping these devices.

Before I poke the power company over it, any thoughts or ideas on how to collect additional evidence?
        If the SolarEdge software can produce a graph of frequency and voltage that might be a start. Do you have installer version of the software or did you use an installer?. In that case they may be able to help.
        9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• SunShine123
          • Jun 2022

Originally posted by Ampster
          If the SolarEdge software can produce a graph of frequency and voltage that might be a start. Do you have installer version of the software or did you use an installer?. In that case they may be able to help.
          Our installer is looking from their side now; and we have a case open with SolarEdge. I adjusted the voltage sensitivity on our UPS and seems to have stopped the blackouts, so I suspect it's tied to that.

Comment

• Mike 134
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2022

At least you have peace of mind knowing it's not an inverter problem with the UPS also picking up the momentary glitch.
            Unfortunately, with my professional history with power companies unless you're sitting in the dark or can hit them with MULTIPLE documents proving there is a problem you're out of luck. Best you can do is some troubleshooting such as any neighbors have an issue or is it site specific to your place? Narrow it down to get it fixed. I noticed you changed the threshold on the UPS . My power company in the midwest allows +/- 10% of 120V, inside that range you get "looks fine from our side" answer
            Last edited by Mike 134; 06-10-2022, 08:53 AM.

Comment

• SunShine123
              • Jun 2022

Originally posted by Mike 134
              At least you have peace of mind knowing it's not an inverter problem with the UPS also picking up the momentary glitch.
              Unfortunately, with my professional history with power companies unless you're sitting in the dark or can hit them with MULTIPLE documents proving there is a problem you're out of luck. Best you can do is some troubleshooting such as any neighbors have an issue or is it site specific to your place? Narrow it down to get it fixed. I noticed you changed the threshold on the UPS . My power company in the midwest allows +/- 10% of 120V, inside that range you get "looks fine from our side" answer
              I'm pulling the logs from my UPS into my SIEM now. I do log analysis as part of a troubleshooting job; if there's one thing I can do, it's collect evidence. The logs are showing actual blackouts, not over/under voltage. It was set at 2-4ms and tripping. I tuned it down to 6-8 ms and that seems to have resolved it. If I can get the SE inverter to that and if that counts as 'rapid shutdown', we probably can work around the line side problems.
              Last edited by SunShine123; 06-10-2022, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Working...