X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CharlieEscCA
    Solar Fanatic
    • Dec 2016

SDGE Billing Change 05/01/2022

It looks like SDGE updated their billing software effective on May 1 in regards to the daily minimum $0.35 charge. Prior to this date, the non bypassable charges (NBC) were either covering the minimum bill charge or they had a programming error they corrected.

My May billing statement came broken into two separate billed periods, namely April 10 to April 30, and May 1 to May 10. One bill, one total amount. However in the table on the last page where the NEM summary table with an entry for each service period, I had two new lines added matching these two periods instead of the always before one new line. Based on my last true up have a $0.00 minimal billing amount for the entire year, this will add $127.75 to my annual true-up.

Still way ahead and grateful for solar as we head to June 1 summer rates tomorrow - $0.68 per kWh peak 4 pm to 9 pm.
    8.6 kWp roof (SE 7600 and 28 panels)
  • RichardCullip
    Solar Fanatic
    • Oct 2019

When I saw that change on my last bill I gave SDG&E a call and they confirmed that as of May 1st NBCs are excluded from the Minimum Charge Adjustment and are now billed as a separate charge. NBCs are now truly non-bypassable charges.

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

I kind of doubt that was a software/billing error. My money's on some prior CUC mandate or some sort that rolled the NMC's into the $0.350/day min. charge in some fashion or another until 05/01/2022 via some wording or interpretation. In th end it doesn't matter much why, it's still a change.

Comment

• slinthicum
        • Apr 2022

Originally posted by CharlieEscCA
        Still way ahead and grateful for solar as we head to June 1 summer rates tomorrow - $0.68 per kWh peak 4 pm to 9 pm.
        Grateful for those smart switches and plugs that keep appliances turned off from 4 pm to 9 pm.

Comment

• CharlieEscCA
          Solar Fanatic
          • Dec 2016

Originally posted by slinthicum

Grateful for those smart switches and plugs that keep appliances turned off from 4 pm to 9 pm.
          I have excess production and excess NEM metering credit at my true up. We built a new house in 2019 with a January 2020 move in. New house is about 15% larger sq ft than prior house we were in for 30 years. So, without any usage history, used prior house (put in solar in 2017 or 2018, don't remember) size plus about 10% larger. Turned out to be much larger than I needed. We have two plug in hybrids now, and still will have excess production and plenty of NEM credit to cover the peak hours. So, the true up bill will be the $0.35 x 365 (less this first year) plus the cumulative NBCs less the two CA climate credits (about $75 for the year) less my excess kWh times the true-up month wholesale credit (last year about $0.059 per kWh.

So, while I'm cognizant of the peak time period, just making sure I do my plug in hybrid charging overnight and keep my wife's plug in hybrid charging not peak time period, I will end the year with a NEM credit (which does not pay out, but keeps one for paying all but NBCs and now the daily minimum).
          8.6 kWp roof (SE 7600 and 28 panels)

Comment

• slinthicum
            • Apr 2022

A potential problem with systems designed to produce excess power is we are at the mercy of the utility companies and the CPUC when it comes to changing the rules. As noted in this May 10, 2022 article:

A provision that was particularly under fire was the grid access charge, an $8/kW solar capacity charge per month. The charge would apply to all solar customers, regardless of whether they have grid-supporting technology like battery energy storage. A typical 7kW system owner would pay an additional $56 a month under the proposal.

What this suggests is if this provision becomes a reality, not only will NEM credit be of little benefit unless needed, but you will be required to pay an additional charge of $8/kW solar capacity for production that isn't providing financial benefit.

The uncertainty that exists with potential future changes is certainly going to have an impact for those considering purchasing a solar system.

Comment

• Ampster
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jun 2017

Originally posted by slinthicum
              A potential problem with systems designed to produce excess power is we are at the mercy of the utility companies and the CPUC when it comes to changing the rules. As noted in this May 10, 2022 article:

A provision that was particularly under fire was the grid access charge, an $8/kW solar capacity charge per month. The charge would apply to all solar customers, regardless of whether they have grid-supporting technology like battery energy storage. A typical 7kW system owner would pay an additional $56 a month under the proposal.
              What the opponents to this tax have likened this to is a tax on drying clothes outdoors on a clothes line like our grandparents did.
              The uncertainty that exists with potential future changes is certainly going to have an impact for those considering purchasing a solar system.
              I left a voice mail and sent an email to the Governor and got a reply, skillfully written by a staff person, which tried to suggest that the CPUC was independent of the Governor. The letter obviously ignored the fact that the Governor appoints the Commissioners. It also seems that time on the CPUC is good training for a future as a lobbyist and at least two former Commissioners have gone that route.
              Last edited by Ampster; 06-02-2022, 01:52 PM.
              9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Working...