X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aranala
    • Mar 2022

Pricing

I don't know if my problem is due to the fact that I live in Florida, but I have not installed solar panels bc it's become a sort of scam. I have asked several quotations and all of them are based on the amount that I pay the utility, not in the cost of the equipment and services they would sell to me. So instead fo 19-20K I get quotes for 39-40K. Their argument is that I will receive a tax credit, yes but it's supposed to be my credit not theirs, right?. Any experiences like that in Fl. or anywhere? BTW Fl requires a solar panel installer license. Maybe that is the root of the problem.
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by aranala
    I don't know if my problem is due to the fact that I live in Florida, but I have not installed solar panels bc it's become a sort of scam. I have asked several quotations and all of them are based on the amount that I pay the utility, not in the cost of the equipment and services they would sell to me. So instead fo 19-20K I get quotes for 39-40K. Their argument is that I will receive a tax credit, yes but it's supposed to be my credit not theirs, right?. Any experiences like that in Fl. or anywhere? BTW Fl requires a solar panel installer license. Maybe that is the root of the problem.
    I believe the requirement for the installer to have a license was due to a state rebate. But they are no longer providing that rebate so unless it is a local requirement the license is not needed. Best to talk to your city AHJ for the final word.

As for the cost, I have also gotten a number of quotes that come to over $3/watt after the Fed rebate which is financially prohibitive for me.

Comment

• foggysail
      Solar Fanatic
      • Sep 2012

I have had quotes all over the place for solar. But first, the electric bill! Here in Massachusetts the electric company I have has a limit of 1.4 times the annual consumption for panels. And the electric provider must approve the system OR it can prevent getting an installation permit. OK, I might have some facts incorrect but at least that is what I was told by several solar companies. OH, I had companies tell me ''sorry, we only deal with 30KW+ installs!''

I spoke to an installer for SunRun hoping to pirate off his installers for a weekend install at my house. He told me the guys are working 55 hours/week, Monday-Friday! Solar around here is exploding! I had 2 quotes for 39K for 10KW, almost identical quotes! I had another sales guy here who I believe had his facts mixed up claiming Eversource (my electric provider) would not allow a 10KW system installation, only 7.5KW! And he had the balls to want 39K. I think 39K is a magic number around here.

I did get a realistic quote of 31K for 10KW and another quote for 31.5K for almost 11KW all without a battery. For that last quote, I gave up the tax rebates because I have no taxable income at this point in life.

Sooooooo SHOP, SHOP and don't be embarrassed or shy and be damned sure you know all the details. To date---- I am in a ''maybe'' state. Good luck--
      Last edited by foggysail; 04-30-2022, 09:35 PM.

Comment

• aranala
        • Mar 2022

It's a racket. I saw and ad for 27 panels of 440 wats for 11K. I may need 30 of those, that should not be more that 13K. Installation I know takes 5 man days, another 3K at 500 per day, plus 1K frames and wiring 1K . That adds up to 18K. How do they come up with 39K?

Comment

• Mike 134
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2022

It's a racket. I saw and ad for 27 panels of 440 wats for 11K. I may need 30 of those, that should not be more that 13K. Installation I know takes 5 man days, another 3K at 500 per day, plus 1K frames and wiring 1K . That adds up to 18K. How do they come up with 39K?
          You forgot drawings, engineering, permit fees, and most of all PROFIT!!.

Comment

• aranala
            • Mar 2022

The panels at that price include PROFIT already. But this people don't want me to buy them BC they want to resell them to me and DOUBLE the profits. Look, installing solar panels requires a little more labor than replacing central AC, but is no more complex. I just did that, got a quote for the units, handler and Exchanger, then hired an expert for the install of the 2 units, one in the garage another in the back yard, elevated, replaced the control for a smart one, everybody happy. Its not like a nuclear plant, it's panels for God's sake and they come ready to be wired and framed and have their own inverters. It's no secret involved.And BTW I had added 1K for paperwork.

Comment

• Mike 134
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jan 2022

The panels at that price include PROFIT already. But this people don't want me to buy them BC they want to resell them to me and DOUBLE the profits. Look, installing solar panels requires a little more labor than replacing central AC, but is no more complex. I just did that, got a quote for the units, handler and Exchanger, then hired an expert for the install of the 2 units, one in the garage another in the back yard, elevated, replaced the control for a smart one, everybody happy. Its not like a nuclear plant, it's panels for God's sake and they come ready to be wired and framed and have their own inverters. It's no secret involved.And BTW I had added 1K for paperwork.
              I agree it's hardly rocket science having just installed my first system myself. But the market allows a 10K profit so as a contractor you'd have to be nuts not to take that money.

Comment

• SolTex
                • Mar 2022

Agree with Mike 134. It's called "supply and demand". If demand is high in your area of the country, then the suppliers will charge whatever people will pay. We had a 15 kW ground mounted system installed two months ago in Texas. We got bids from both national companies and local companies. There was up to 10 thousand dollars difference between the national company bids and those from local installers for the exact same system. We ended up going with a local family owned solar installation business. They did a great job and our system has been running perfectly since it was turned on. Keep shopping until you locate someone who will work with you and do the job the way you want to do it.
                Enphase 15kW: (40) LG380N1C, IQ7+, (2) 10T storage

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

Originally posted by SolTex
                  Agree with Mike 134. It's called "supply and demand". If demand is high in your area of the country, then the suppliers will charge whatever people will pay. We had a 15 kW ground mounted system installed two months ago in Texas. We got bids from both national companies and local companies. There was up to 10 thousand dollars difference between the national company bids and those from local installers for the exact same system. We ended up going with a local family owned solar installation business. They did a great job and our system has been running perfectly since it was turned on. Keep shopping until you locate someone who will work with you and do the job the way you want to do it.
                  I agree that shopping around for a good price and a quality system is the way to go.

What I think is happening here in Florida is that the big companies are rushing to get all the installs they can get before the reduction of Net Metering rules go into affect. Once that happens less people will desire to install a system because it will drive out the ROI timeline considerately.

Comment

• solarix
                    Super Moderator
                    • Apr 2015

We offer customers a fair deal of around $2.25/watt and we are so busy we are breaking down with medical problems as me and my people are all getting old. The hardest part of my business is finding young people willing to work that have a brain and the humility to learn from our experience. Maybe I'm doing something wrong and should crank up the pricing.... but I put in solar long ago at my place and i just want to share the blessings of solar with my neighbors. Problem is that the FEDeral gravy train has conditioned most of the populace to think they "deserve" and don't have to work for it. I bet for every hard working installer out there, there is an online entrepreneur that is trying to get rich quick by selling solar or solar leads and then trying to get someone else to install it.
                    BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• J.P.M.
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by solarix
                      We offer customers a fair deal of around $2.25/watt and we are so busy we are breaking down with medical problems as me and my people are all getting old. The hardest part of my business is finding young people willing to work that have a brain and the humility to learn from our experience. Maybe I'm doing something wrong and should crank up the pricing.... but I put in solar long ago at my place and i just want to share the blessings of solar with my neighbors. Problem is that the FEDeral gravy train has conditioned most of the populace to think they "deserve" and don't have to work for it. I bet for every hard working installer out there, there is an online entrepreneur that is trying to get rich quick by selling solar or solar leads and then trying to get someone else to install it.
                      Big +++1 on all that. You seem to be describing the results and consequences of a country going in the toilet. I'm in mourning for the loss of my country.

Comment

• aranala
                        • Mar 2022

That is exactly the problem. Solarix got it all wrong. You are not selling watts, you are simply reselling panels manufactured by somebody else and installing them on a roof . You are not an utility, you are not generating electricity although that is the approach of all the installers. Trying to confuse their customers.

Comment

• aranala
                          • Mar 2022

I apologize if I sound rude, but my point is the approach. When the AC people installed my new units they didn't try to sell me BTUs, they sold me the equipment and charged me for their work. Fair enough. Same with the people who came and installed my tankless water heater. So, my question remains. why would panel installer have all this talk about how much I pay the utility and how much will they charge me for "their" Watts? That is why I see this as a way of confusing unsuspecting customers and as a result I don't see progrses in solar installation here in the Sun State.

Comment

• aranala
                            • Mar 2022

BTW in Florida Gov. De Santis had proposed the elimination of net metering and an obedient Legislature approved the law doing just that. But then somebody put on the pressure on the Governor and he VETOED the law that he himself had proposed. Another Florida moment.

Comment

• Mike 134
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jan 2022

I apologize if I sound rude, but my point is the approach. When the AC people installed my new units they didn't try to sell me BTUs, they sold me the equipment and charged me for their work. Fair enough. Same with the people who came and installed my tankless water heater. So, my question remains. why would panel installer have all this talk about how much I pay the utility and how much will they charge me for "their" Watts? That is why I see this as a way of confusing unsuspecting customers and as a result I don't see progrses in solar installation here in the Sun State.
                              Sure they did. They told you this XYZ unit would keep you cool on the warmest of days didn't they? and cost you less to operate. Or did they tell you it couldn't keep you cool in the middle of summer. SEE!! just a different approach.

And the tankless water heater what benefit is there compared to a 40 gallon that keeps the water always hot? Oh you see a benefit to a tankless water heater? hmmmmm how so I wonder?

Saving money or resources can come many different ways
                              Last edited by Mike 134; 05-05-2022, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Working...