X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

If you go the aluminum wire route ( I did for a 980' run ) be sure when you order the wire, that it be continuous, and not two 500' pieces spliced together on the reel !!
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• foggysail
      Solar Fanatic
      • Sep 2012

If I faced a power transfer of 500 + feet, I surely would look into a pair of transformers, one for the source and the other located at the load. The higher you can get that distributed power's voltage, the less you have to worry over power loss distributing it. As to the wiring between the source and the load, CAUTION is needed here especially depending on how high you can distribute the voltage.

Comment

• Will792
        • Jan 2019

I am afraid we overwhelmed OP with information. Based on his question he is looking to hire a company to do design and installation and was trying to understand wide price range of proposals. Most residential PV installation companies do not do complex designs to maintain P/L for each project. Most use one vendor for panels, inverters and mounting.

Comment

• bcroe
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by foggysail
          If I faced a power transfer of 500 + feet, I surely would look into a pair of transformers, one for the source and the other located at the load. The higher you can get that distributed power's voltage, the less you have to worry over power loss distributing it. As to the wiring between the source and the load, CAUTION is needed here especially depending on how high you can distribute the voltage.
          I did not seriously consider transformers for the AC runs (cannot be used
          on the DC) for several reasons. Those transformers must be large enough
          to handle the inverters, and both will consume not only max power losses,
          but standby losses 24/7 even though the array may be shut down. Instead
          $650 for 300 feet of aluminum Triplex solved my problem. Bruce Roe

Comment

• foggysail
            Solar Fanatic
            • Sep 2012

Bruce--- whatever works!

Comment

Working...