X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ADADJlSEJ
    • Mar 2022

What is the best solar panel?

For a person who live in California, and use Edison, and need about 8kW,
    what is the best solar panel and how much we can save money by using the panel?
    How much do we have to pay for the panel after rebates and incentives?
    We might purchase one small house. If we can save $$$ money, we want to install the panel before California change law which pay less money to people.

Thank you.
  • sabersix
    • Mar 2015

I'm glad you are asking about purchasing a solar system. As you have experienced, a lease (or PPA) is not the best return on investment.

I have a 5.7kW system I purchased in 2015 for $21k ($14K after tax credits). I calculated that in six years the savings would pay for the system and save $60k over 20 years. This is under NEM 1.0, so is a bit longer now under NEM 2.0. As you said, you are aware that CA is looking for a NEM 3.0 that will be even less friendly.

My recommendation is to purchase your system. Panels are commodities at this point, so no real advantage of one brand over the other. Biggest decision comes down to microinverters or string inverter which should be decided by the amount of shading/orientation of your roof. Look for about $2.50 per kW before tax credits.
    5.775 kW System: 21 SolarWorld SW275 x 1 SMA 5000

Comment

• organic farmer
      Solar Fanatic
      • Dec 2013

Originally posted by ADADJlSEJ
      We might purchase one small house. If we can save $$$ money, we want to install the panel before California change law which pay less money to people.

Thank you.
      Photovoltaic panel manufacturers change all the time, the models they make change, the sum efficiency changes all the time. Any panel you are told, today, is the best, will be obsolete tomorrow.

I live in a state where nobody 'pays' you anything for using solar power. If I were to feed electricity onto the grid, the power company is not under any obligation to pay me anything. There is no method for me to make any money from my solar system.

Solar power can give you independence, but as a source of electricity it is safely among the most expensive sources of electricity.

Do not think of solar power as saving you any money.
      4400w, Midnite Classic 150 charge-controller.

Comment

• Mike 134
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2022

Originally posted by organic farmer

Photovoltaic panel manufacturers change all the time, the models they make change, the sum efficiency changes all the time. Any panel you are told, today, is the best, will be obsolete tomorrow.

I live in a state where nobody 'pays' you anything for using solar power. If I were to feed electricity onto the grid, the power company is not under any obligation to pay me anything. There is no method for me to make any money from my solar system.

Solar power can give you independence, but as a source of electricity it is safely among the most expensive sources of electricity.

Do not think of solar power as saving you any money.
        What state do you live? Just curious. Illinois here. I get RECs for every MWH of power I generate even if that power never goes back into the grid, and dollar for dollar with net metering.

Comment

• organic farmer
          Solar Fanatic
          • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Mike 134

What state do you live? Just curious. Illinois here. I get RECs for every MWH of power I generate even if that power never goes back into the grid, and dollar for dollar with net metering.
          I live in Maine.

4400w, Midnite Classic 150 charge-controller.

Comment

• bcroe
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Mike 134

Every time I ask about RECs in IL, it goes nowhere. That was never the original idea,
            I wanted to be free of the monthly connect fees that keep rising, and fossil fuels that
            rise a lot more.

Not a bad deal here in IL for my operation, The PoCo and I traded KWh back and
            forth, no money involved to get my summer generation saved for winter heat. If
            I have a surplus at the end of the solar year (was 30 March), the PoCo keeps any
            surplus for free, which is what it cost me to generate it. Bruce Roe

Comment

• jflorey2
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2015

what is the best solar panel
              No such thing.

For a "typical" roof installation - get whatever single crystal panel is cheaper.
              For an installation in a limited area - get whatever high efficiency (20%+) panel is cheaper. (Sunpower Maxeon 6 is currently leading at 23% but there are lots of others out there.)
              For a ground mount installation - get a bifacial.

Panels are running from 40 to 75 cents a watt right now. You need a lot more than panels though.

Comment

• DanS26
                Solar Fanatic
                • Dec 2011

Tier 1 solar manufacturers only....if you don't know what that means....Google is your friend....

Comment

• silversaver
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jul 2013

Depends on your roof size, how big of system needed and choose the correct panel fit your budget. If you have enough roof space, you really don't need to buy the most efficient panel on the market, but with limited roof space, you will have no choice but to pick the most $$$ panels.

Comment

• Will792
                    • Jan 2019

Best panel is the one that best matches your requirements. These aspects come to mind:
                    Price
                    Efficiency
                    Physical size
                    Thermal coefficient
                    Voltage compatibility
                    Expected reliability
                    Expected ability of manufacturer to service warranty claims
                    Expected efficiency drop as panels age
                    Tolerance for partial shading

forgot one more:
                    aesthetics
                    Last edited by Will792; 04-16-2022, 12:39 PM.

Comment

• solarix
                      Super Moderator
                      • Apr 2015

Solar PV panels are amazing. They virtually all have great reliability and pretty much are just a commodity now. Stick with "Tier 1" manufacturers, find what looks aesthetic to you, go for the best dollars/watt and you will be fine.
                      BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• bcroe
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jan 2012

9 years ago I went with those that had reached the status of a commodity.
                        Best watt/dollar value, and most likely to be available over the life of the
                        array, in case a storm throws a branch through one, etc. That was a
                        6 X 10 cell arrangement, 250W back then. The latest may have upped
                        the watts a bit, but they can still be swapped onto the system no problem.

I have some 6 X 12 panels, 5 of these placed end to end can directly
                        replace 6 of the above. The landscape mounting means snow has less
                        distance to slide (or be pushed) off. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Old_Man
                          • Feb 2018

I'm a big fan of Longi, as a company.

Comment

• GoingElectric
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jun 2022

Thank you.
                            Personally,
                            I ended up focusing on lifespan, or "degradation per year".
                            End result is more collected power over lifespan.
                            Look for approximately 88% in 20 years.

The one exception is space vs demand, then I would get a higher W / area instead (410+ W sizes)

Comment

• J.P.M.
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by GoingElectric

Personally,
                              I ended up focusing on lifespan, or "degradation per year".
                              End result is more collected power over lifespan.
                              Look for approximately 88% in 20 years.

The one exception is space vs demand, then I would get a higher W / area instead (410+ W sizes)
                              If space is a concern, the panel STC wattage matters little. What counts most is the panel's STC wattage per area and a low(er) power degradation as f(temperature)

Depending on the available space and its layout, physically larger panels by themselves may actually be a drawback.

The only real benefit to larger panels besides maybe a bit less $/STC watt for the panels is probably a bit less wiring for the array.
                              Last edited by J.P.M.; 01-27-2023, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Working...