X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike 134
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2022

Originally posted by soby

Are you 100% sure you can do any sort of backup when the grid is down without a battery? From the FAQ:
    Q: Can the Energy Hub and Backup Interface provide backup without a battery (PV-only)?
    A: No. Although the system may operate, it is not supported and results will vary.

I like your gumption but I have to urge you to not to DIY a battery solution for the backup interface. These are seriously dangerous batteries and can easily burn your house down if improperly installed/configured. The second your insurance company finds out you DIYed a home battery, you are f^(%ed. I love to tinker too but, having seen what does into a proper setup, at a minimum, you need a qualified electrician.
    You sound like a furnace installer "gas can blow your house up leave it to the professionals"
    Like any project need to follow the codes and best practices. Start with reading Sec 480 of the NEC. If you're not comfortable with the NEC then yes you'll need to bring in an Electrician

Comment

• green1
      • Mar 2022

Originally posted by Mike 134

You sound like a furnace installer "gas can blow your house up leave it to the professionals"
      Like any project need to follow the codes and best practices. Start with reading Sec 480 of the NEC. If you're not comfortable with the NEC then yes you'll need to bring in an Electrician
      Funny you should bring that up, in my jurisdiction homeowners are allowed to do any work they want on their own home (assuming they follow building codes and permitting process) and I have done my own gas fitting on my house in the past. If anything is going to destroy my house, gas fitting is far more likely than batteries. Yes, anything that has energy is dangerous. But so is crossing the street. That doesn't mean I need a professional crossing guard every time I do so.

Comment

• soby
        Solar Fanatic
        • Mar 2019

Originally posted by green1
        Apparently I'm on the wrong forum. I thought this was a place inclusive of technical topics. The FUD here against DIY shows otherwise.

I don't need a forum if all it says is call a company and leave everything to them.
        You definitely need this forum.

I'm pretty sure I addressed the technical topic by pointing to the fact that there is no compelling reason to install the backup interface now. I may have even saved you from disappointment since you didn't realize the backup interface alone wont let you use PV-only to power your house if the grid goes down. It's up to you to verify that.

Originally posted by Mike 134

I'm a mechanical engineer but I know my limits. If you are comfortable with the risk associated with DIYing something and it's worth it, give it a shot. But you better be damn sure you FULLY understand the risks. I never said don't do it. A word of caution is never a bad thing. I personally will not put myself in a position to make a simple mistake outside my profession and put my family at severe risk.
        Last edited by soby; 03-24-2022, 11:18 AM.

Comment

• green1
          • Mar 2022

Originally posted by soby

You definitely need this forum.

I'm pretty sure I addressed the technical topic by pointing to the fact that there is no compelling reason to install the backup interface now. I may have even saved you from disappointment since you didn't realize the backup interface alone wont let you use PV-only to power your house if the grid goes down. It's up to you to verify that.
          Apparently you didn't even read your own quote. Nor do you understand how the backup interface or solaredge's system works. They make it clear that it does work, but is not officially supported. Also if you look at how the batteries in a solarEdge system are wired, it becomes apparent why the system would work in an outage.

I'm a mechanical engineer but I know my limits
          Perhaps you should follow your own advice here, if you do not know how the solaredge backup interface and battery systems work, perhaps you should not be providing advice specific to them.

Comment

• soby
            Solar Fanatic
            • Mar 2019

Apparently you didn't even read your own quote. Nor do you understand how the backup interface or solaredge's system works. They make it clear that it does work, but is not officially supported. Also if you look at how the batteries in a solarEdge system are wired, it becomes apparent why the system would work in an outage.

Perhaps you should follow your own advice here, if you do not know how the solaredge backup interface and battery systems work, perhaps you should not be providing advice specific to them.
            Bless your heart. Good luck with your install.

Comment

• Ampster
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jun 2017

Apparently I'm on the wrong forum. I thought this was a place inclusive of technical topics. The FUD here against DIY shows otherwise.

I don't need a forum if all it says is call a company and leave everything to them.
              You will get a variety of advice from a cross section of visits to different forums. It sounds like you have the skills to evaluate the responses and find an optimal solution. I visit at least four forums with varying levels of success.
              9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• SunEagle
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

In this forum I choose to make it clear that any DIY can be dangerous or violate codes and insurance rules. Now if you have the experience to perform the work and you understand local codes and rules then I say have at it and have fun. Please let us know how it works out so we can provide good input to others that plan on installing the same hardware.

Comment

• solardreamer
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • May 2015

They make it clear that it does work, but is not officially supported. Also if you look at how the batteries in a solarEdge system are wired, it becomes apparent why the system would work in an outage.
                  SolarEdge used to officially support the feature but has since removed support because it does not work reliably in general. From what I have seen you can't even enable backup mode without batteries through standard config interface (e.g. setapp) so you have to hack it. So, I would be careful about dropping $$$ on something for an unsupported feature that you have to hack to enable in the first place.

Comment

• dgetztx
                    • May 2022

I wanted to directly answer the original poster's question as I recently installed the backup interface. Not trying to dig into the DIY/installer debate, but I did this myself, it took quite a bit of know how and research, and it also took way more than 16 hours. Its understandable why it would take a pro at least a full day for 2 people. For me it was about 4 Saturdays worth of work and a few evenings. To do the interface right, you now really need to install an electrical gutter and a bunch of short conduit runs between the bottom of your inverter, the interface, and the gutter. There is a lot of fit up time in this. Then you need to pull all the wire, which is likely 1/0 to 3/0 wire for the size service most homes. At wires that size you are running 4 individual wires, not one wire bundle like you would for an inverter. This wire is also very hard to work with. They are also going to have to figure out how to re-feed wire from the meter in your case, which no small task. In most areas, this will require a call to your utility as part of the work effort. For my install, I did a sub-panel for a subset of back up loads (this seemed better to me than managing turning off high loads in an outage, and more importantly I could install everything de-energized in a safer manner). Note, even if you aren't doing the battery now, they should run the conduit for it between the inverter and the gutter.

I'd recommend watching the solaredge install video for the back up interface, or there is another company that pops up on a Youtube search with several installs. All-in its 3x to 4x the effort of just installing an inverter and that assumes you are near your panel and service entrance.

Comment

Working...