X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • green1
    • Mar 2022

panel is surface mounted on a plywood backboard mounted to a concrete wall, all conduit exposed. Plywood backboard has lots of room left on it for additional components. This is in a garage, so visible components are to be expected.

What you're saying is that it took 2 people 8 hours to install the transfer switch. That surprises me, but would appear to be in-line with the 2 people 8 hours that my quote shows for the backup interface as it is in many ways similar to a transfer switch. Not sure I understand why it would take that long, but at least you're saying it's not out of line.

Comment

• solardreamer
      Solar Fanatic
      • May 2015

Did you ask the installer why it would take 2 people x 8 hours? If they can't give you a reasonable explanation then it's probably not a good installer regardless of the actual amount of work required.

Comment

• green1
        • Mar 2022

Originally posted by solardreamer
        Did you ask the installer why it would take 2 people x 8 hours? If they can't give you a reasonable explanation then it's probably not a good installer regardless of the actual amount of work required.
        That conversation is coming as part of finalizing everything, I just wanted to go into that conversation better informed. I'm still waiting on a couple of other details from them before we have that conversation.

I do hope that everything will go well with this company though, because the process of getting quotes has so far been somewhat painful. out of at least 12 companies I asked for quotes from, only 5 got back to me at all. Of those, only 3 ever gave me a quote. Of the 3 quotes, the first one was for a system half the size I asked for, and when I questioned that they stopped replying to me, the second one had a quote so messed up that I couldn't even make heads or tails of it (half the quote talked about a solaredge system, the other half about an enphase system, there were conflicting numerical values on different pages, it was a huge mess) When I questioned him on it he admitted it was a disaster, but his updated quote was only marginally better, and he just couldn't answer any questions about the system at all. And the last company alone is making sense in most of their quoting.

Comment

• oregon_phil
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2019

Originally posted by green1
          panel is surface mounted on a plywood backboard mounted to a concrete wall, all conduit exposed. Plywood backboard has lots of room left on it for additional components. This is in a garage, so visible components are to be expected.

What you're saying is that it took 2 people 8 hours to install the transfer switch. That surprises me, but would appear to be in-line with the 2 people 8 hours that my quote shows for the backup interface as it is in many ways similar to a transfer switch. Not sure I understand why it would take that long, but at least you're saying it's not out of line.
          I have main power from the pole going underground to a stepdown transformer , then back underground to my meter breaker panel in my pole barn. Another large conduit goes from my meter breaker panel in the pole barn to my main house breaker panel. Both of these large conduits go through my concrete slab. I also have smaller breaker panel for the pole barn connected to the meter breaker panel.

It took the electrician quite a while to figure out how to draw out the schematic and place all the physical parts before executing on the job. He took pride in his work and didn't want it to look like a piece of crap. Your quote probably isn't too far off. To help things move along, I took a lot of pictures of my panel, transformer, etc. and asked if I could speak with the master electrician directly. Maybe "installation" also includes SE device commissioning too.

During slack time waiting for inspections, I was able to get the electrician to install a solar surge protector.

I know you're specifically asking about transfer switch installation time, but if they made sure you had installer access (and proved it) and threw in a spare optimizer(s), then I would feel a little bit better about the installer.
          Last edited by oregon_phil; 03-15-2022, 03:30 PM. Reason: Added information

Comment

• nomadh
            Solar Fanatic
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by GTAZ
            Not trying to push ... but

1st: give Sol-Ark a call. I know some DIY friendly companies will actually produce the engineering schematic and specs you need for permits. I'm not sure if Sol-Ark does, but they have a phone number on their site.

2nd: Their system is pretty simple. It's an All-in-One device. You only have one box to hang on the wall. it reduces DIY complexity to almost Plug-n-Play simplicity. And if you choose to use a local installer it reduces their labor time.

You can add batteries later if you want, or not. You can add a generator as back up if you want, or not, you can run off grid if you want, or you can push extra production to the grid. And you can do almost any combination of these things at the same time (ex: use panels to supply your house load, charge batteries, and push to grid at the same time. It's an integrated transfer switch (one of the fastest at 4ms) that will switch you back to grid when panels stop producing, or switch you to batteries if the grid goes down etc. It has the most functionality I've seen from any manufacture.

They are made in Texas. You can talk to a real person, and the person you talk to knows the system - not just some $12/hr help desk person who asks the questions they are told to ask.

They have 5kw, 8kw, and 12kw units right now. A new 15kw unit is due in June.
            This is one of those companies that listens to users and installers and actually addresses the points they make. The 12k unit is a good unit, but has one drawback that caused me to hold off. But the new 15kw unit more than solves that issue, so I'm waiting on that unit.
            This unit has the feature where you can get daytime solar power off grid without batteries?

Comment

• Ampster
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jun 2017

SolArk is a US branded Deye inverter which is manufactured in China but has different firmware designed in Texas. That is the only difference from the generic Deye inverter that I am familiar with. Their customer service is reportedly very good.
              9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• green1
                • Mar 2022

Originally posted by nomadh

This unit has the feature where you can get daytime solar power off grid without batteries?
                Correct. As long as the sun shines and you're putting out more power than you're consuming the backup interface allows you to stay running when the grid is down.

Comment

• nomadh
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Sep 2014

Correct. As long as the sun shines and you're putting out more power than you're consuming the backup interface allows you to stay running when the grid is down.
                  That's great. I think it's a perfect low cost feature that makes a great backup plan.
                  batteries are so expensive it's great to have what seems like batteries at least during the day for almost no cost. Assuming they didn't double the price or something.
                  Can you get near max output out of it as the sun goes up and down?

Comment

• green1
                    • Mar 2022

Originally posted by nomadh

That's great. I think it's a perfect low cost feature that makes a great backup plan.
                    batteries are so expensive it's great to have what seems like batteries at least during the day for almost no cost. Assuming they didn't double the price or something.
                    Can you get near max output out of it as the sun goes up and down?
                    As with any solar system output will vary by time of day, time of year, weather, etc. Sunrise and sunset are unlikely to be high generation times.

Comment

• nomadh
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Sep 2014

As with any solar system output will vary by time of day, time of year, weather, etc. Sunrise and sunset are unlikely to be high generation times.
                      Of course I was looking for a shorthand to say if it's an 8kw system and it's putting out 8kw can you at that time get near 8k. And if it's a marginal time where it is only generating 1.5k can you still get near that that time.
                      my system no matter how big caps out at 1.5kw

Comment

• soby
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Mar 2019

Why do you want to install the backup interface now when you don't have a battery? You'll need a company to install the battery eventually and that company can install the backup interface then. Without a battery installed, they can't even test the backup interface to confirm that it is installed correctly and functional.

Comment

• green1
                          • Mar 2022

I want the backup interface for a couple of reasons, first, it provides power when the grid is down and the sun is shining. That's not as good as battery backup, but it's a whole lot cheaper, and better than nothing.
                          secondly, I don't need a company to install the battery necessarily, I see no reason that couldn't be DIY later. Also they can test it without batteries as long as the install is during the day.

Comment

• SunEagle
                            Super Moderator
                            • Oct 2012

I want the backup interface for a couple of reasons, first, it provides power when the grid is down and the sun is shining. That's not as good as battery backup, but it's a whole lot cheaper, and better than nothing.
                            secondly, I don't need a company to install the battery necessarily, I see no reason that couldn't be DIY later. Also they can test it without batteries as long as the install is during the day.
                            I hope you are correct about the testing and that installing a battery can be DIYed. But you may run into insurance or code issues if you do not follow the installation rules to the letter. Just stay safe and please don't spend money that might be wasted to save a few pennies.

Comment

• soby
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Mar 2019

Are you 100% sure you can do any sort of backup when the grid is down without a battery? From the FAQ:
                              Q: Can the Energy Hub and Backup Interface provide backup without a battery (PV-only)?
                              A: No. Although the system may operate, it is not supported and results will vary.

I like your gumption but I have to urge you to not to DIY a battery solution for the backup interface. These are seriously dangerous batteries and can easily burn your house down if improperly installed/configured. The second your insurance company finds out you DIYed a home battery, you are f^(%ed. I love to tinker too but, having seen what goes into a proper setup, at a minimum, you need a qualified electrician.
                              Last edited by soby; 03-24-2022, 11:40 AM.

Comment

• green1
                                • Mar 2022

Apparently I'm on the wrong forum. I thought this was a place inclusive of technical topics. The FUD here against DIY shows otherwise.

I don't need a forum if all it says is call a company and leave everything to them.

Comment

Working...