X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • onlinejames
    • Jan 2022

solar battery charge

Im still trying to get my head around whats wrong with my setup.

i have 1200w panels on my roof, then to mppt and to deep cycle battery., panels in parallel

The battery runs garden lighting during the night, they are on a light sensor and turn on automatically.

my issue is my panels only show 20 to 22 volts, but i only get 3 to 4 amps, even if the battery is down in volts to say 11v

Today is overcast and its 17:00 and i have 22v and .6 amp into mppt and its putting out 14.4 and 1 amp
    i have led lights in the house when the power goes out connected to the battery, when i turn them on, the output volts change ro 14v and i am getting 2.4 amps in.

i realize i am drawing more due to the lights,

my input amps from panels goes from .6 amps to 1.7 amps.

more draw on the battery the more the panels produce ???

my issue is at night im drawing a lot from my batteries, but my system still only dribbles the amps in during the day, this eventually drains my battery.

how can i force more amps into my battery to charge it up more, the panels are obliviously capable of more, the mppt just isnt putting enough amps into the battery.
    i would expect it to input a lot more amps then as the battery is charged it will drop off.
    have i missed a setting on the epever tracer mppt?

if im wanting to charge the battery better do i need a dc to dc battery charger?
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

I suspect the " MPPT " controller is bogus. A PWM with a simple sticker on it coudl be the issue. Have you tried booting the MPPT in the proper sequence:
    Connect the battery wires first, wait for the MPPT to boot, then hook the panels to it. If you ever disconnect the Battery from the MPPT while the solar is active, you can easily fry a controller with the unexpected high voltage from the unloaded PV panels
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• sdold
      • Jun 2014

The make and model # of everything would help, including number of batteries.

Comment

• littleharbor2
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2016

1200 watts at 21 volts. , hmmm. Is this 12 100 watt panels in parallel? If so you may have a wiring/configuration problem.
        Last edited by littleharbor2; 03-08-2022, 06:10 AM.
        2 Kw PV Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 460ah,

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

As others have stated we really need to know more about the panel specs, CC and battery system to help you determine where the issue might be.

Comment

Working...