Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Accessing and/or Removing a Panel in Middle of Array - HOW?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accessing and/or Removing a Panel in Middle of Array - HOW?

Well, We've figured out the correct Inverter to use with our System. Sadly, I need to do some minor re-wiring.

I need to remove Panel "A" (please see attachments). My question is: how to get on top of the other Panels to access surface of Panel "A" yet not damage them or (me) fall off the roof!

I think the best route would be to remove Panel "B" first, then Panel "A". I've got to access and remove the 4 bolt plates on each panel. Even with Panel "B", it's quite a reach to access the bolt plates on the lower end of Panel. Could I use plywood to 'belly crawl' to access these plates or use a ladder, laying it down on the Panels?

Either with cable or rope, I could "tie down" either plywood or ladder from the top of the roof.

Any suggestions?

PS: sure, I could remove the adjacent panels from the end, I guess. Just trying to avoid that as all I need to temporarily pop up is Panel "A"
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Blue Grouse; 10-15-2021, 02:49 PM.

Answer to question 1 about getting on top of a panel :
    Without a real probability of causing damage, you don't.
    Unless the deflection of the plywood caused by weight of a body == zero, you'll strain the cells.
    That's not good.
    The plywood method looks good to those who know nothing about stress analysis but guarantees nothing.

Answer to question 2 about any suggestions : Disconnect and remove the necessary panels, service the problem and reinstall the removed panels.

Part of what solar peddlers usually don't tell their marks.

Welcome to the forum of few(er) illusions.
    Last edited by J.P.M.; 10-15-2021, 05:26 PM.

Comment

I'd remove the 2 panels to the left of panel A. Removing B & A requires removing 8 clamps, which is the same as removing panel A and the 2 panels to the left.

Comment

Originally posted by nerdralph View Post
        I'd remove the 2 panels to the left of panel A. Removing B & A requires removing 8 clamps, which is the same as removing panel A and the 2 panels to the left.
        Yep, that's the way to go. After I fretted about it...I actually studied those pics I took. Duh! Much more simpler to remove the 2 panels to the left. THNX ALL!

Comment

Working...
        X