X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ampster
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2017

Originally posted by ktran1
    get F150 lightning extended range, it has 130KWH with super charge, it can power your house when grid drop.
    I just read that someone got one for MSRP because of a cancellation. I have heard that is rare because the dealers are marking them up way over MSRP. I am still waiting to hear how much more the infrastructure for V2H is going to cost.
    In a few years there may be some used F150 Lightnings available by the time SunEagle 's pickup is ready to be replaced.
    Last edited by Ampster; 08-26-2022, 04:03 PM.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Ampster

I just read that someone got one for MSRP because of a cancellation. I have heard that is rare because the dealers are marking them up way over MSRP. I am still waiting to hear how much more the infrastructure for V2H is going to cost.
      In a few years there may be some used F150 Lightnings available by the time SunEagle 's pickup is ready to be replaced.
      I hope so. At least I can continue to pick the type of vehicle I want if I live past 2035. Which I hear is not the deal for those in CA.

Comment

• bcroe
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by SunEagle

I hope so. At least I can continue to pick the type of vehicle I want if I live past 2035. Which I hear is not the deal for those in CA.
        When they stopped making the kind of vehicle owners wanted, many
        of them just started driving trucks. Fossil fuel vehicles are never going
        to completely disappear. I am still driving my 77. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Ampster
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jun 2017

No worries there will probably plenty of new and used pickup trucks for sale in 2035 somewhere in the country. If people still want to drive ICE pickups, arbitrage will create a grey market.
          I live on what many call the Left Coast but the free market still survives. I have had a $100 Cyber truck deposit with Tesla for almost two years with no delivery date in sight. I may be 80 before I take delivery. If I lose my license before then, I know my son in law would take the order off my hands.

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

No worries there will probably plenty of new and used pickup trucks for sale in 2035 somewhere in the country. If people still want to drive ICE pickups, arbitrage will create a grey market.
            I live on what many call the Left Coast but the free market still survives. I have had a $100 Cyber truck deposit with Tesla for almost two years with no delivery date in sight. I may be 80 before I take delivery. If I lose my license before then, I know my son in law would take the order off my hands.
            Yes age does have a factor when it comes to owning an EV. That along with a poor electrical infrastructure to handle all them charging at night.

I fear that I will end up owning an ICE vehicle when I have to give up my license.

Comment

• Ampster
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jun 2017

........ That along with a poor electrical infrastructure to handle all them charging at night.
              .......... By
              Poor infrastructure? Have you looked at the load charts from your Independent System Operator? At 7:45 this morning California had 44,000 MegaWatts of capacity versus 25,000 in demand according to the California Independent System Operator. I will try to find a chart for twenty four hours. Last time I looked at the duck curve the critical time where capacity does not exceed demand by much margin is from five or six in the evening to ten at night. After that demand drops off significantly. I don't think it is an infrastructure issue but a timing issue.

Comment

• SunEagle
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

Poor infrastructure? Have you looked at the load charts from your Independent System Operator? At 7:45 this morning California had 44,000 MegaWatts of capacity versus 25,000 in demand according to the California Independent System Operator. I will try to find a chart for twenty four hours. Last time I looked at the duck curve the critical time where capacity does not exceed demand by much margin is from five or six in the evening to ten at night. After that demand drops off significantly. I don't think it is an infrastructure issue but a timing issue.
                I am talking about other states where there has been a request to turn up the thermostats on the AC systems because the grid can't handle the load. Now add the millions of EV's being charge at night and those grids will fail

Hopefully the CA grids have improved enough to handle the added charging of all of those new EV's that are coming. But other states will not be as prepared for the new charges.

Comment

• Mike 134
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jan 2022

If there is enough infrastructure in Cal. why the need for "rolling Blackouts" last year?

Comment

• Ampster
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Mike 134
                    If there is enough infrastructure in Cal. why the need for "rolling Blackouts" last year?
                    It is a timing issue. No question California needs more capacity during that time. My point was that the best time to charge an EV is late at night when there is plenty of capacity. My rate from 4PM to 9PM is $.55 Per kWh. Why would I charge then?. My EV and my charge controller have timers so I can pick the cheaper times which are also when there is capacity. That is what most EV owners do.

Comment

• Ampster
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jun 2017

,,,,,,,,,, But other states will not be as prepared for the new charges.
                      Should I be glad I don't live in any of those other states? That is reason number 36 why you should not buy an EV.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2013

CA, like most other U.S. markets could always use more generating capacity, but those figures of capacity vs. demand you show are a good example of why and perhaps how greater storage could help to alleviate some, but certainly not all of the problems.

Comment

• Ampster
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jun 2017

And now just after Noon the capacity has grown to 47,700 MegaWatts and demand has grown to 29,500 MegaWatts. The unknown in those numbers is roof top solar which the grid only sees as lower demand.
                          Last edited by Ampster; 08-27-2022, 05:34 PM.

Comment

• SunEagle
                            Super Moderator
                            • Oct 2012

And now just after Noon the capacity has grown to 47,700 MegaWatts and demand has grown to 29,500 MegaWatts. The unknown in those numbers is roof top solar which the grid only sees as lower demand.
                            And what happens to the electric supply from solar if you get a bad storm or clouds or smoke from fires. My guess is your gird suffers.

We all have our weaknesses.

Comment

• Ampster
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jun 2017

And what happens to the electric supply from solar if you get a bad storm or clouds or smoke from fires. My guess is your gird suffers.
                              That is probably reason 37 why you should not buy an EV and reason number 8 why you should not put solar panels on your home.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Aug 2013

We all have our weaknesses.
                                We sure do and large storage capacity won't solve all the problems, but a large and distributed storage capacity will help the system handle short term spikes and generation shortcomings caused by variable and so less reliable output from renewables as well as some emergency situations like POCO shutdowns caused by wildfires.

Large storage capacity is not the answer to all the state's power problems, but the more storage there is the smoother the bumps will be and the easier the outages will be to manage.

Comment

Working...