X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are no building restrictions wrt solar panel installs - normal workmanship standards.

The main roof with 28 panels faces 250 (west southwest), and the shaded area shown is 160 (south southeast) - I don’t think there are any NW faces in consideration.

Our cost per kWh is stated at $0.122, and several owners of like installed systems note their $200ish average monthly bills are now zero on annual basis.

Comment

Looking through Gulf Power docs - this in there - explains why the proposals are rounded to this number vs working with exact inverter efficiencies to determine tiers?

"For inverter-based systems, the Gross Power Rating shall be calculated by multiplying the total installed DC nameplate generating capacity by .85 in order to account for losses during the conversion from DC to AC)."

Also had a very unsatisfactory discussion with USAA about insurance cost increases - they sort by the number of panels only (ie 1-10, 11-20, 21-30, 31-40) vice power output or cost - so, a $20.000 system will increase insurance basis on the house by $73,000 - about $250 a year increase in premiums.

Comment

Originally posted by NWFPat View Post
        Looking through Gulf Power docs - this in there - explains why the proposals are rounded to this number vs working with exact inverter efficiencies to determine tiers?

"For inverter-based systems, the Gross Power Rating shall be calculated by multiplying the total installed DC nameplate generating capacity by .85 in order to account for losses during the conversion from DC to AC)."

Also had a very unsatisfactory discussion with USAA about insurance cost increases - they sort by the number of panels only (ie 1-10, 11-20, 21-30, 31-40) vice power output or cost - so, a $20.000 system will increase insurance basis on the house by $73,000 - about $250 a year increase in premiums.
        That is sad about your insurance increase. I guess everyone needs to figure some type of cost increase for insurance in their ROI just to be safe.

Comment

Just ran the numbers, again - puts payback right at 11 years ... next angle is to go to Tier 2, with more panels up to the 40 (31-40) that USAA uses for the rate increase, then determine whether the $3M umbrella policy I already have with USAA is sufficient for Gulf Power for the Tier 2, then add in cost of the additional panels/inverters to determine if it makes sense to make power at 2.02 cents per kw - maybe $40/month max with 340W panels, or $78/month with 385W panels ... math gets harder ...

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

That is sad about your insurance increase. I guess everyone needs to figure
            some type of cost increase for insurance in their ROI just to be safe.
            I am adding that as # 50 to my list of advantage to a ground mount. Bruce Roe

Comment

Absolutely, but I don't have space for a ground mount . If I had I would build it out myself and get electrician to do the final connects - would solve a lot of problems!

Comment

build a pergola in your back yard, if that gets rid of the ridiculous insurance upcharge! $250x 20 years is $5000, which is more money than what the panels cost per watt. $5000/11,000w = $0.45/w and they are only worth $0.37/w

Comment

Originally posted by khanh dam View Post
                  build a pergola in your back yard, ......
                  Originally posted by nwfpat View Post
                  i don't have space for a ground mount .
                  Q.e.d.
                  Last edited by Ampster; 04-02-2021, 02:19 PM. Reason: QED
                  9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Continuing to read, looking for some goodness to upgrading panels for power output (fewer so lower labor), lower degradation (power at end of warranty), better temperature characteristics (Florida) ... not sure I have found anything that leads me down the path of paying more ... am I missing anything?

Comment

Continuing to read, looking for some goodness to upgrading panels for power output (fewer so lower labor), lower degradation (power at end of warranty), better temperature characteristics (Florida) ... not sure I have found anything that leads me down the path of paying more ... am I missing anything?
                      I have used everything from SunPower panels, to Hanwha panels to the least expensive Canadian Solar panels. The only reason I picked Sunpower panels is I was space constrained. In the long term I cannot offer any further analytical evidence. The cost per installed Watt has decreased over that same time frame so it is a moving target.

Comment

Published numbers may vary some, the reality is probably much closer to, they
                        are all the same. Here the plan has been to use the most generic, highly
                        produced/lowest price per watt panel, which has been the 60 cell (10 X 6)
                        250+ W. The 72 cell may come close, I find them far harder to hoist into
                        place, both size and weight increase.

15% losses, with good design attention and good inverter, mine are only
                        about half that. good luck, Bruce Roe

Comment

Well, interesting morning - one of the companies proposing is saying the Hanwha Q Cell 340W panels are leaving production - and the G9 in 380 is what they are now proposing, so my attempt to neutralize the bids won't work ... anyone heard this about the 340?

With 380s would be 26 panels (to stay under the Tier 1 Gulf Power limit), and the IQ 7A would be used vice IQ 7+.

Comment

Gah - sorry - too quick!

Forgot the DC to AC thing

So, 31 panels ... (31x380x0.85) = 10013

Comment

Gulf Power docs say, “For inverter-based systems, the Gross Power Rating shall be calculated by multiplying the total installed DC nameplate generating capacity by .85 in order to account for losses during the conversion from DC to AC)."

Doesn't this mean the rated power output of the panels?

Comment

Gulf Power docs say, “For inverter-based systems, the Gross Power Rating shall be calculated by multiplying the total installed DC nameplate generating capacity by .85 in order to account for losses during the conversion from DC to AC)."

Doesn't this mean the rated power output of the panels?
                                I made that assumption based on post # 4 but after rereading the entire thread you subsequently quoted there document which stated it very clearly to be based on panel capacity. I will delete my post since it is irrelevant.
                                Last edited by Ampster; 04-06-2021, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X